“Only Italian Option in Del Rio”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Prima Pasta & Pizza - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Prima Pasta & Pizza
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
“Only Italian Option in Del Rio”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is the only option for Italian food in Del Rio, and if that is what you're craving here is my honest opinion. It's average compared to all the Italian restaurants I've been to, not gross, but nothing to write home about.

Decor/Atmosphere: I enjoyed this decor and atmosphere of this place. Large bar (although it was being used to do their accounting) could be very nice with a liquor license and a good bar tender. There was a sonic cup sitting out on top from one of the employees... that was disconcerting. Not too large, but not cramped either. It was busy (all the tables were filled) but there was no wait. Dim lighting and darker walls made it feel more intimate.

Service: Hmm... We walked in and waited about 5 minutes for a host to come to her desk. We found out later that she was being used as a server as well. We got a booth and she asked for our drink order straight away. She also brought out fresh bread and butter (these were tasty). When she came back for our order we had to turn the menu around and point at our items because she didn't know the menu (rather large) and could not spell the names of the items. She was very nice and pleasant though, not rude or inattentive and my glass never ran dry. This place definitely isn't run by Italians. Caprese is not pronounced Kuh PREES.

Food: The pronunciation didn't bother me, but the fact that their food tasted about as authentic was of concern. I ordered one of their pizzas, and my wife ordered one of their chicken dishes. The crust of my pizza was superb. It tasted freshly made and fired. However, the toppings left a lot to be desired. Baby spinach, "fresh" mozzarella, diced tomato, canned black olives, and large chunks of red onion, all raw and in copious amounts with really no prep. It was literally like a large salad dumped on top of a crust. To be honest it was better reheated in my toaster oven with the ingredients cooked a little. The fact that the ingredients didn't match up with the description was disappointing. Where were my kalamata olives and eggplant? My wife's dish looked utterly drenched in sauce and smothered in spaghetti. In eight years I've never seen her put salt and pepper on an item from a restaurant.. but she did here. She said it was very bland.

With the lack of options I will likely go back but order something different and something that appears harder to mess up. I'm positive with crust like that they should be able to make a better pizza or I may try the Stromboli.

• Visited June 2013

“Excellent food. Best in town.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Been there twice and great both times. Great menu and service is good. Wish they had beer and wine license though.

• Visited May 2013