“Will definitely be back!”

Manuel's Steakhouse
Ranked #4 of 80 Restaurants in Del Rio
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
El Paso TX
“Will definitely be back!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My Dad and I visited Manuel's during a recent fishing trip to Lake Amistad. Another website gave it a high rating and several of the locals recommended it. I had the 18oz ribeye, and it was excellent. The price was very reasonable as well, about $23. The salsa and queso flameado was very tasty. Del Rio is a small town, and after driving around searching for a dinner spot we knew our choices were limited. That is why I'm glad Del Rio has a place like this with excellent food. We will definitely eat here again on out next trip.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank joexmas

Del Rio, Texas
“Half glass lemonades, overpriced, and long wait for food and drinks”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The food at this restaurant is very average tasting for Mexican food, no real special flavors shine. The drinks took approx 15 minutes after we ordered and the food also took long to be served. Although, there are alternatives to the typical enchiladas and tacos, such as quail and frog legs, they seem like a "fish out of water" with the elevated prices and tastes for the people that live in this bordertown. I know better than to order something that is not the specialty of the restauarnt, but I went ahead and ordered a shrimp coctail. The shrimp were little and I counted about 10 in my class. I expected it to be "Mexicanized" with the usual clinatro, tomatoes, avocados, and onion. I was diaspointed to have the shrimp "floating" in coctail sauce with small pices of avaocado. The real icing on the cake was that I ordered a lemondae with no ice (as I always get cold with ice in my drinks). The waiter brought me the glass only half full and explained to us that their policy was to charge double if I wanted the full glass of lemonade without ice! Not going back...and I live in this town.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank 448MariaH448
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Authentic, Delicious and Reasonably Priced”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Manuel's Steakhouse in Del Rio, Texas is a gem. The food is authentic, fresh, perfectly prepared and delicious. It's a very popular restaurant and getting a table for 10 at the last minute on a Friday night required our group to eat a little earlier (6:30) then we expected but the hostess was very helpful and accommodating. The staff quickly arranged a banquet-style table for us and we were seated in minutes. I was particularly pleased and surprised when the table setting they created provided everyone with plenty of elbow room.

My local friends told me Manuel's used to be on the Mexico side of the Rio Grande before the outbreak of drug cartel violence over the past decade. They said it was always a favorite for anyone looking for a great steak on both sides of the border. Unfortunately, Manuel's business was also a victim of the terrible violence and closed. Fortunately, the owners moved Manuel's to the U.S. side of the Rio Grande where it is flourishing once again.

I asked a local friend who had been to Manuel many times to order appetizers for the table - he ordered the Mollejas A La Mexicana - sweetbreads with serrano peppers, tomatoes and onions. He made an excellent choice - the appetizers were delicious. Watch out for the hot peppers! If you're not used to them, be very careful. This is not the salsa at Taco Bell - this is the real thing!

Among our group of 10, we only ended up trying 4 different entrees because 6 of our friends had been to Manuel's many times before and they knew exactly what they wanted - the Cabrito! Manuel's Cabrito is beautifully seasoned grilled baby goat with guacamole, pico de gallo and ranchero beans. I tried two bites and it was excellent - perfectly prepared.

3 others ordered the Tampiquena - a large rib-eye streak with a beef or chicken taco and cheese enchilada. It was served with guacamole, rice and beans. Rave reviews from all.

2 of the less adventurous out-of-towners ordered the 16 ounce rib-eye with fries and none of the local fixings. They said their steaks were among the best they'd ever had.

I tried the Bistek al Albanil - a tender and perfectly prepared rib-eye with pepper, tomato and onion. My entree was also served with guacamole, rice and beans.

We all had at least 2 very cold beers during the appetizers and dinner.

Manuel's was very clean and well-managed. From one section of the restaurant you can see directly into the kitchen. It was also very clean and well-organized.

The decor and atmosphere was classic south Texas/Mexican with stone, brick and stucco walls painted in a warm dark red. Despite all the stone and stucco walls - and a full house - it was easy and comfortable to carry on a normal conversation the length of a table for 10.

The service was attentive and very professional. All of our food was clearly prepared to order and arrived sizzling hot. There was a line waiting to be seated from the moment we arrived but we never felt hurried or rushed. The entire diniing experienced was relaxed and properly paced.

I thought Manuel's was very reasonably priced for the quality of the food, service and atmosphere. For a party of 10 - including appetizers, the more expensive entrees and at least 20 beers - the total bill, including tax and a 20% tip was only $270.

If you're ever visiting Del Rio, Texas I highly recommend Manuel's. If you're a local, you already know it's a great restaurant.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank JMCurley
“Food prices were toooooo high.”
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Restaurant was clean, service was good, food was overpriced, for the amount you received. Ample parking , dark inside. Not much else to say, only ate there one time

London, England, United Kingdom
“Authentic Mexican”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This border town had nothing open on main st. but Lonely Planet recommended Manuel's and after a days driving from San Antonio we were hungry. The decor was smart with dark wood and apart from a couple of people at the bar and four other diners, the place was empty. Spoilt for choice, we took a window seat and were immediately waited on. We were brought delicious dark tortillas with a warm bean dip and salsa with our drinks, a salty margarita for me. I had a Chili Relleno, stuffed with minced beef with rice and refried beans on the side. My companion had Strips of beef, salsa verde and steamed tortillas again with rice and refried beans. The portions were big but not overwhelming and service efficient. My companion is a big fan of mexican food and we both were very satisfied customers.

• Visited January 2013