“Fine wine in Del Rio”
Review of Val Verde Winery

Val Verde Winery
Ranked #3 of 12 things to do in Del Rio
More attraction details
Owner description: The oldest winery in Texas.
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Nice out of the way place, Super friendly people and the wine we bought is top shelf quality.

Reviewed October 4, 2011

Val Verde Winery is a small and average appealing winery in Del Rio, TX. Not exactly a must see, but you can check it off your list of things to see while here. It is a very small winery and with a one person staff, the line for tastings is not a long one. The quality of wines are good so it's not all sour grape news. Del Rio is not really on your way to anywhere else, so if your in town you should visit this attraction.

Reviewed September 10, 2011

Average wine, ok tasting, little pricey for the tasting but wine not over priced.

The ports are by far their best products.

1  Thank mills-tours002
Reviewed July 4, 2008

We came here because we like visiting wineries. Is this place the reason I would go to Del Rio? No. However if you are visiting here then you should come and see. The winery is very, very small however it is the oldest family own in Texas! You can get in close and personal with the one person staff who pours the wine and gives the basement a tour. You can see pictures of the generations of family except the one owning it now unless you are as lucky as we were to meet the old guy! We ask why he wasn't up there in the pictures and he replied with a smile and twinkle in his eye by saying, "Because I ain't dead yet!" He was nice to meet and his wine was pleasent enough for me to buy the Cabernet Sauvignon 2006! I'll hold on to it for a while along with some pleasent memories of the small winery in a small Texas town of Del Rio. Weooooo!
Ricky & Charlene
Houston, Tx

1  Thank rbmccm
Reviewed February 25, 2003

My father and I visited on a late January afternoon. After tasting many wines we decided we liked the Muscat Cannelli the best. Unfortunately, my two bottles are already gone! We both would have preffered to meet family members rather than meet a hired hand, but it was refreshing to see a winery where the work is not all contracted out to other businesses (i.e. Napa county). Del Rio is a bit of a drive from major cities in Texas, but if you are in the region I do recomend going. Texas laws do not allow the export of wines, (the after effects of Prohibition) hence, in person is the only way to accquire their products. It was wonderful to witness family tradition in a quiet corner of Del Rio.

9  Thank bacca

Been to Val Verde Winery? Share your experiences!