“friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Saipan
Kumamoto Prefecture, Japan
“friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

I made friends with a seculity staff of this hotel. He was very kind and other staff ,too.
There is a pool and beach. I recommend watching night stars. The view from beach is amazing!! I could see a meteor ☆彡

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mnatul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hagatna, Guam
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

I just completed three days of work on Saipan and stayed at the Grand. I was seriously disappointed as my experience 26 years ago was wonderful. This property is in need of some TLC. There is no 24 hour cafe, the beds are like plywood covered in sheets and the tvs are something from 1970. Front desk staff lacks knowledge about their policies. There is no room service or vending machine for soda or snacks although there was coffee service in the room. The refrigerator in the room was not stocked Do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
8 Thank travelingfrank489
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

I had read other reviews and was concerned that the hotel might not be as clean or nice as I had hoped. But the rooms have all been recently redone and we had a very nice clean room with a wonderful view. We were up on the 9th floor and could not have asked for a better view!! The staff was wonderful and helpful when we needed it. This was our honeymoon and it met and exceeded our expectations. The only excpetion which we did not use, the pool needs to be updated. It was clean but is reaching the point where it needs repair. But with the ocean right there and 80 degree water temp, you dont need a pool!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wow2_11
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

My husband and I were attending a wedding of a dear friend in Saipan. Since we did not pick the hotel, there was no option of changing locations We stayed in the Emerald tower.

The attitude my husband and I decided to have was just to laugh at how dirty, run down and gross it was. We tried to make lemonade from the lemons we got!
I think the island in general is not, and hasn't been for about 30 years, in a good economic state, so I’m sure these hotels are barely hanging on and money for renovations is just not an option.

With that being said…

As we walked into our room we just started to laugh. It was apparent that nothing has been updated since about 1975. The once "white" shades were now a yellow, stained, crooked mess. The mold in the bathroom (it could be smelled throughout the entire room) would have caused any American mainland hotel to be shut down. The alarm clock was built into the head board of the bed and did not work; nor did our safe for that matter. Although, the staff did come and fix it the first day after a couple of phone calls. I am typically NOT a germ-phobic, not much grosses me out, but I would NOT walk on the floors without shoes on. The size of the rooms were HUGE! That would have been a plus, but that just meant more disgusting carpet to cross as I went to the door or bathroom.

The beach was beautiful and the view out my room was great, but the music playing from the water park next door seemed to act as our alarm clock instead. By the end of the trip I knew the playlist by heart.

They let you bring your own drinks into the rooms and beach. That was a plus! We bought beer and wine at the grocery store across the street.

Like another reviewer, nothing seemed to be open in terms of facilities or restaurants.

I also was deeply saddened and obsessed with the mangy dog tied to a cage on the hotel’s beach. I would spend a lot of my time petting him and trying to cool the dog down. I even brought it my leftover meals. The dog was the sweetest thing I’ve ever met and I doubt its fate was good. I’d be surprised if the poor thing was still alive. It haunts me still today. I hope someone rescued him from the heat, flies and mosquitoes that were literally killing him. Out of all my complaints of the hotel, the dog is my biggest. I’m sure he’s just one of thousands on the island in that state, but it was so hard to see. I tried to contact a humane society with now luck.

I would certainly NOT recommend this hotel to anyone who has even mediocre expectations.
But all in all, the friends were got to spend time with was most important and I had a wonderful time in Saipan!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2010

Great view from my room. Otherwise a big disappointment. No exercise room, no coffee in the room, no internet unless you have a lap top, they list about six places to eat in the hotel, but they are almost always closed. Breakfast buffet was expensive, at least $15, but very mediocre. Almost everything offered was geared to the Japanese and Koreans who are their main clientele. I asked if they had coffee shop. Of course, the answer was no. The staff person recommended that I go across the street to Winchell's for coffee. After trying the hotel's breakfast buffet, I went to Winchell's for breakfast as well. They had very good sandwiches for a third of the price of the breakfast buffet. The hotel is not in a particularly good location, being rather far from the center of town. I asked about a shuttle to the airport. The clerk told me it was $15, and the price was non-negotiable. I told her that the taxi from the airport cost only $12, so why would anyone use their airport shuttle. She said, "some taxis charge $25." I promised her that I wouldn't use such a taxi. I paid $12 for a taxi to the airport. Stay away from this place. It is a terrible value.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank jward373
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

Saipan Grand Hotel is just fit for the budget. Accessible to the beach going to Managaha Island.

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank K_go_0917
Guam
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2008

The hotel is old and the service is terrible to say the least. I was out there for the Saipan Xterra in March 2008 and the rooms were run down and the website photos were deceiving. By all accounts a motel would have been better than staying at the Saipan (not so) Grand. I only ended up staying for a night because the conditions were so bad; I transfered over to Pacific Islands Club. The morning I checked out a coconut had fallen on my rental car and shattered the back window. The car rental went from $120 to $1400. I contacted hotel management on the matter and after 5 months of excuses and emails I received a letter saying he wasn't at fault and the hotel isn't responsible for maintaining the grounds. In short I recommend the Pacific Islands Club. The service was great, the room was clean and cozy.

• Disliked — condition of the room and the dedication to poor service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo