“Beautiful garden, but old-fashioned hotel”

Hyatt Regency Saipan
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Saipan
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Hyatt has very beautiful botanical garden and Microbeach is very beautiful. HOWEVER, that's all.

Its fucilities is overall old. Furnitures are very old except for LCD TV. Faucet in a bathroom is stiff and the water pressure is weak and so is the water flow. Pool is not a good condition because some stuffs are floating on the water and sunbed is not sufficient.

I felt that every stuffs in Saipan looks very old-fashioned so it is not a only Hyatt's problem.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 세환이

Reviewed July 22, 2013

While this Hyatt is a bit dated and the rooms are not comparable with other other Hyatt properties, it makes up for it with clean rooms, very friendly and helpful staff, and outstanding well maintained and beautiful grounds right on the beach. I travel to Saipan frequently for business and this is always my hotel now. The price is very reasonable (especially compared to the other hotels on island) and it is always a pleasant experience. My two complaints would be the lack of outlets for electronic devices (iPhone, laptop, etc) and the TERRIBLE internet access. If you are traveling on vacation, probably not a big deal, but for business it can be frustrating. Management told me they were working on it, so hopefully by my next trip it will be resolved. Otherwise, a clean, comfortable room in a very beautiful place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank islandAndy
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

When it comes to servicing tourists, Saipan is not Hawaii. Not even close, so I am giving this property the benefit of the doubt. First, the positives. The property is beautiful, well maintained, and clean. Its on a lovely beach(with no waves) and every room has an ocean view with a terrace. Saipan sunsets are truly amazing, and i enjoyed several evenings of watching them from my private terrace. The service was super friendly, and i want to give a special shoutout to Malcolm at the front desk. I have travelled the world, stayed at some of the best hotels on the planet, and he is hands down the friendliest, most efficient front desk person i have ever met. The property has several fine restaurants. The food is good and Sunday brunch is amazing, but they are ridiculously overpriced. Do Sunday brunch and then walk across the street and eat lots of good food at one tenth the price. Now the negatives: the beds are very hard and uncomfortable. The decor in the rooms is tacky and the first room we were in didnt have a suitcase stand. The only drawers were in the closet and since they kept sliding open, it was impossible to close the closet door. We changed rooms, and the second one, in the renovated South building, was much nicer. Definitely ask for one of those. Another negative is the lack of a towel hut at the beach. In order to get a towel you had to walk in the opposite direction, to the pool, and then back to the beach. Very annoying. But the biggest negative, and one that Hyatt needs to be ashamed of, is the horrible internet access. This is not 1980. People rely on internet access to conduct their everyday lives. Even on vacation, we want to keep in touch with family, house sitters, etc. for those of us on business, it is imperative to have good wifi access. The service here was weak, kept kicking me out, and cumbersome to log into. In short, it was so awful that even the locals, who have plenty of other issues, make fun of the Hyatt wifi. Any Hyatt property needs to do better. Finally, the property charges $20pp for the airport shuttle. If there are two or more of you, take a cab. Its cheaper.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank RubyAZ12
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We loved our stay at the Hyatt Regency. The beach is fantastic. The pool is decent, but enjoyed the beach more. The lobby and grounds are beautiful. The Happy hour in the beachside bar and lobby bar were the best around. As well, the bartenders were extremely friendly and nice. Some of the front desk staff were nice and helpful, some less so. The poolside grill was our favorite for lunch... Mahi Mahi burger was delicious! For dinner, the Teppanyaki restaurant was AMAZING, expensive, but absolutely delicious. Our biggest complaints with the hotel were the rooms were quite outdated for the price, and the bed was hard as a rock. I actually thought the floor was more comfortable. Thankfully we spent little time in the room. We did enjoy our balcony view very much though. All in all, we had a very relaxing stay and would go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I came for a birthday/SCUBA trip. Everything about the site is very pleasant and relaxing. Every room has a nice ocean view and a nice little lanai with two chairs and a table. The room has a nice desk with two chairs (which I like because I do a lot of writing). Wi-fi is free and reasonably fast. There is a little 24-hour shop in the lobby that sells upscale snacks, wine, liquor, and coffee; its very nice but outrageously expensive. If you have a need for coffee in the morning, you are out of luck. No coffee in the room, you can get a tiny coffee at the little shop for $4.25, or you can eat at the restaurant- no coffee to go. The best option is to walk a short block to Java Beach Cafe for a really nice, inexpensive breakfast with lots of coffee choices.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean and there are seven floors. My room on the fourth floor had a great view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sakadah
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This hotel has transportation to and from the airport for $20 per person but if you are more than two people,metered taxi is only about $27 .
great beach on site, beach is so beautiful and sand bar is going pretty far and super shallow.
nice water color.
pool is ok, nothing special.
they have happy hour at the beach bar from 5-7pm and their drinks are pretty nice :)
hotel stuff; some of them are really friendly and some are not so much.
watched show at the hotel call sand castle, food was fine and show was entertaining.
Also went to Japanese restaurant on site call Miyako, their lunch buffet was really good quality.
Breakfast at kilis was nothing special but very nice view outside seating.
Giovanni the italian restaurant was great.
just make sure to get reservations !
Room was nothing special but the view from balbony (at least from my room) was amazing!!!

Room Tip: higher floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We normally stay in only Marriott hotels but there was none in Saipan so we stayed here at the Hyatt. We used a corporate discount which was very generous and came with nice benefits so that helped us have an even better time. Pickup from the airport was very inexpensive due to the discount and very efficient! Checkin was very pleasant as we arrived approx. 1a.m. Penny (I believe she was the night manager) checked us in and she was very very nice and accommodating. Special thanks to Penny for going out of her way to help us enjoy our first stay at the Hyatt. Unfortunately, though, the only thing that I didn't really appreciate was that we were ensured that we would get a king, non-smoking room the next day since one was not available during checkin, but this never happened even when I inquired for a few days straight. They should have been more honest on this point and the same goes for when the free lobby internet was down for sometime, and I inquired at the front desk, they assured me that it would be back up in 5 min. or so which turned into more than a day. They should have posted a sign in the lobby indicating that there was a problem and that it could be a long delay but they kept telling people that it would be back up soon. I was hoping to get upgraded as a courtesy to a deluxe room or suite, but that didn't happen so we had a standard room with two double beds. The room was just ok and reasonably clean except a big issue was that the light carpet was filthy! They could at least clean the carpets in the hallway and rooms which would go a long way to making the room look and feel a lot better. The tv was flatscreen which was nice and the bathroom was clean except I did notice a very little mildew which made it not seem so clean afterall. Oh, the bathroom was very small and had no vent, the shower curtain was clean but kept touching me in the shower since the tub area was small, and I had to keep asking for wash cloths. Oh, the water pressure was not good at all either. However, we made the best of it, and, it wasn't so bad in the big picture. The grounds were very clean and we had a great view which of course all the rooms have a great view since all overlooking the garden with some view of the beach. That made up for the issues in the room! Absolutely loved the view! Housekeeping staff was very nice and helpful as well which I appreciated! All the staff was very nice and helpful which made the visit very nice and relaxing. The concierge lounge was nice and my husband enjoyed the free spirits in the evening. I enjoyed the hot appetizers and the really good croissants, patries, fruit and snacks. They come around and ask if you want the hot appetizers, bacon, sausage, and you might have to ask for bottled waters as well. That was a little different but I guess that's how they keep waste down and they are serve you what you want so that was fine. The beach has the most clear water I've ever seen even walking out far into the water was still clear. That was amazing and fun! Oh, the bugs were very bad so we had to buy some bug spray so do use it or you will get very annoyed by the bugs even though they didn't really bite they kept being bothersome. Once we used the spray that we bought at a lower price from a store across the street from the hotel, it was fine. Oh, the massages from the area across the street were good and I went to one recommended by the hotel when I asked for the safe massage shops. The one I went to was Spa Verde and they were very nice, clean and safe. The first time my husband stayed the hour with me then the next time he walked me there and I stayed alone. They will pick up and drop off from hotel if you like, too. I negotiated down from their list of prices and that was very good. I'd go back just for the massages and to relax on the beach but I would pay a little more to get a room in the Regency Club area since I understand those rooms are nicer/renovated. But, our price was great so we can't complain and it was ok to put up with a few issues. Not much to see in Saipan but we did enjoy our visit and my husband ate ate a local spot called Bobby Cadillac's and had a good burger and fries which were very reasonable, free wifi, friendly no frills place. We also ate at Moby Dick's and it was very reasonable and my husband really enjoyed his entree of shirmp, scallops, fish in white sauce, but my fried fish plate was just ok but the price was right. The service was very friendly and the bread was really good. There are little shops and restaurants in walking distance that you might miss if you don't actually venture out in a couple different directions. Oh, the upscale mall is nice too but I am not a shopper just a looker. This was a very relaxing trip!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple