“A taste of Carolina in the San Francisco Mission”
Review of Front Porch

Front Porch
Ranked #579 of 5,823 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Mission and San Jose St.
Transit: 14 mission 24th street Bart station
Description: Come check out Mark"s new winter selections. The Cajun Blackened Catfish will warm you right up, and the short ribs are sure to stick to yours.
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Sorry that they discontinued many menu items. Was looking forward to shrimp n' grits. Was not disappointed with a variety of appetizers including fried pickles. The fried chicken was worth the visit. The prices seemed fair for San Francisco though Carolinians would be appalled.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was in San Francisco for a business trip and met up with a friend for dinner. From what I understand, the restaurant is in a location that used to be a little bit of a gangster bar. I can see that upon walking in. It's a funky place with tin ceiling tiles that has a dimly lit interior. But, you quickly forget all that when you sit down and start to smell the food. It is Southern food so don't head to this place to work on your low calorie diet.

On to the food...the fried pickles were something to write about (hence why I'm writing about them). They are battered in some flavorful stuff and then fried. They are served piping hot with a Tabasco aioli which isn't as spicy as that would lead you to believe. All in all, it was a great way to start. I was sitting next to a couple, as the tables are tight, who both had the fried chicken. I don't know the last time I had fried chicken prior to this but from the looks of it, I just had to have it. I was not disappointed. The chicken is moist and flavorful. Of course the batter is simply amazing and delicious but the chicken meat was also really amazing. I had said, when the plate arrived, I was good for 2 pieces of chicken and that was it. But, there I was eating piece number 3 without apology. My friend ordered the "Holy [--]" Burger and well, holy...you get the picture. This was a gigantic burger with everything but the kitchen sink. I think you could feed a family of 4 with that thing. We also tried the banana cheesecake. It was a dense tangy sweet delicious dessert. It had a great banana flavor with a chocolate crust. It was a great way to end the meal. The restaurant also had a pretty decent wine list.

My only complaint was that it was a slow process to finalize our tab. At some point in the evening, the computer went down so there was no way to take credit cards. Granted they were able to rectify the situation and were nice enough to comp the dessert. So, that level of service, along with the apology of the server, tells me they are a class act.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

3.5 stars. Good Southern eats are alive in SF thanks to The Front Porch (which Rocks BTW heheh). We had a great sampling of their bucket of chicken, collards, mashed potatoes and gravy, boiled peanuts, and fried okra and fried pickles.

We walked past a few rocking chairs on the front porch into the rather dark interiors of this restaurant. We were promptly seated (thanks to Open Table for the highly recommended reservations) and were promptly served from there on out by a very friendly and efficient waitress.

The taste verdict: the food ranged from just OK to excellent.

Boiled Peanuts: a large appetizer that you really have to like in order to appreciate. Boiled peanuts are not particularly attractive, rather dark and grey served steaming hot in a paper bag. If you can't get past the look or texture, then this is not for you. I liked them OK, but this was not something I'll re-order.

Fried Okra: I think these were too overdone to be perfect. They got stringy at the ends and there was not a great contrast between the insides and the crunchy outsides. I did like the dipping sauce that was provided.

Fried Pickles: Interesting and overall successful with the dipping sauce. Not soggy or particularly flavored one way or another.

THE Fried Chicken: A set of very juicy pieces thickly breaded with a very crunchy corn meal coating. Not particularly spicy (OK not spicy at all) and some may fault the chicken for being bland, but I really enjoyed it. This is not Popeye's style spicy chicken; if that's what you expecting, go elsewhere. But (Front Porch) that would be a really nice idea to provide a spicy version of this already great chicken.

The mashed potatoes were perfection but not many of the our table liked the collards, which was judged to be too sour.

Deserts were off the hook! The brioche bread pudding was like tiramisu meets carrot cake meets cinnamon bread pudding. The banana cream pie was cleverly presented and very delicious. "Just like homemade" was often heard.

This came out to about $40 per couple, so this was moderate to high for this style of food. I did very much like the service and the food. But the darkness and the rather high prices for the food (which was uneven in quality) brought the value down some.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Such a funky place, very local and very SF. The crowd is a mix of ages, incomes, you name it, but they all share one thing: they love good food.

This place has it, and will serve it to you, with a smile.

The bar is visual and bar staff friendly and good mixologists.

Enjoy!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Authentic Southern Cuisine nestled off Mission Street in the Glen Park area of San Francisco. Extensive cocktail and wine menu with beverage sure to please everyone. We had a large party of 8 (2 toddlers included) and the service was impeccable. Hostess returned our reservation call to confirm and let us know that they had the table booked for a later party but could easily accommodate us within the allotted time frame. We did not feel rushed and the food and drinks were served in a timely manner and we felt very welcome. They had all the necessary items for active toddlers and we were greeted warmly.
The menu is just a little limited, but the choices reflect the best in Southern culture. We enjoyed Fried Chicken, Mac 'n Cheese, Flounder, Hush Puppies, Fried Okra, and Shrimp n Grits as well as great desserts.
Limited parking is an issue but don't let that stop you!