“Yes, it's a hole in the wall, but the food makes it worth looking for.”

Sotto Mare Oysteria & Seafood
Ranked #15 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Providence, Rhode Island
“Yes, it's a hole in the wall, but the food makes it worth looking for.”
Reviewed December 8, 2009

I read about Sotto Mare on TA before my first San Francisco visit. I went looking for it in North Beach and was not disappointed. Yes, it's a little "hole in the wall" place, but I like that kind of decor. My waitress was very friendly and helped me decide on the Seafood Pasta. The owner wanted me to try the clam chowder; but, being from New England, I told him I was all set. He had the waitress bring me over a small bowl anyway. It was good. Made just right.
My seafood pasta was excellent. It was linguine covered in small clams, mussels, scallops, shrimp, salmon, some kind of white fish and squid (tenticles & tubes). The italian bread was good, too.
When my brother arrived in SF the following day, I stopped in again with him for a couple of bowls of chowder, and we split the seafood risotto. It was good, but I liked the seafood pasta better.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to someone looking for fresh seafood.

2 Thank Mailgirl

• Turkish first
california
“Overated reviews”
Reviewed November 29, 2009

The food is just average. I was expecting fantastic compared to the reviews I read. There's better restaurants to go to in San Francisco than this. Sand dads were good, but again average.

Honolulu Hawaii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“San Dabs”
Reviewed November 23, 2009

Two words, San Dabs. The most delicious san dabs. Very light and crispy as addicting as potato chips. Dozens of san dabs arrived on a huge plate. My husband had seafood pasta which was tossed with a light buttery garlic sauce. The seafood was plentiful . Very pleasant staff. So enjoyable that we try to go to the resturant whenever we are in town.

1 Thank lala2557
Hawaii
“The least expensive great seafood in San Francisco”
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Ate there 3 times out of 18 nights. My wife had the Sand Dabs( a platter of 15 or more fried filets of incredible fresh delicious fish) each time and would go back weekly if we lived in SF. I gorged myself on raw clams, oysters and cracked crab. The clam chowder is wonderful. Drink the Italian Draft beer as the wine is awful. Very low key and homey place with delightful staff.

Newark, England
“Sea Food Lovers Only”
Reviewed September 29, 2009

This is a very basic eatery. There are no napkins, just kitchen roll on the tables. They do not serve coffee or deserts and the place is quite hard to find. However, they do have very fresh fish and shell fish and they know how to cook it . If you prefer the quality of the food to that of the surroundings, then this could be the place for you.