“Another win because we listened to TA!”

Sotto Mare Oysteria & Seafood
Ranked #16 of 5,738 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Athens, Georgia
“Another win because we listened to TA!”
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Incredible cioppino. It IS enough for two! We had the sole and lobster ravioli as well. It started off with cups of chowder which is yummy-o. We arrived earlier than our reservation and the hostesses took care of us with wine and showed us to seats outside. Promptly at 8:30, in an extremely crowded restaurant, our table was ready. A wonderful meal and experience. I highly recommend a same day reservation if you can...it was crowded as blazes on a Monday night and so worth it!

Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, CA
“I don't want anyone else to know about Sottomare”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I am a San Francisco native, and sometimes I would rather no one else knows about this neighborhood place because then it will become even more crowded....but on the other hand, why shouldn't the world know about this great place?
This is an all-in-one experience - you have to wait in line for a long time, but you can get free glasses of wine while you wait, and invariably you will strike up a conversation with the people next to you and it will turn out that you are related in some way, or they grew up with your cousin in Chicago.
You will eat an amazing meal, the cioppino is amazing, as is the risotto, the oysters, I can go on. Watching the sisters behind the bar cajole cooks, customers and conversation is entertainment in itself, - as another reviewer said, a real floor show. The last time I went, Don McClean's "Bye Bye Miss American Pie" came on the jukebox, and the whole restaurant sang along while watching a beautiful older couple dance in the aisle.
Enjoy the experience - not a place to rush through.

• Visited January 2014
Seymour, Indiana
“Excellent Dinner and a Show!”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We were lucky enough to be seated at the end of the bar where the chefs were. It was like sitting at a "Chef's Table." We got to watch everything prepared right in front of us. I watched the whole process that took my fish selection from a whole, fresh fish to two golden filets on my plate. It was amazing to watch everyone's meals being prepared from fresh ingredients.
We had to wait a little while to be seated but we were offered a free glass of wine while we waited. It was definitely worth the wait!
We will be returning to Sotto Mare on our next San Francisco trip!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank HoosierDaddy46131
Oregon
“Maybe it was the prosecco....”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

No reservations for 2 or less and when we arrived it was very busy. The pleasant woman at the front said the wait was one hour and we said no problem (seems queuing for restaurants here is kind of a spectator sport). However, we were told that we could wait at one of the bars across the street and were given a plastic lobster that buzzes lights up when the table is ready (nice touch). Tip: if you order a bottle of prosecco across the street and have not yet finished when the lobster buzzes then don't guzzle it but pay your tab and bring the bottle in with you.
Ambiance was loud and we were seated at a bar in front of the dishwashers and cooks. Normally that might bother me but the energy was good and the employees were smiling and joking around.
We had the cioppino for two and it was absolutely the best I've had. Big pieces of crab, clams, shrimp and scallops, I think.
We will definitely be back, and thanks for the great meal and ambiance!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank OregonJorge
“My sister's perfect 50th birthday!”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

My sister & I flew into San Fran Saturday, Feb. 15th, my sister's 50th birthday. She had heard Sotto Mare was the place to eat. We contacted our niece to meet us there without knowing reservations should've been made. The manager/hostess(amazing woman with lots of energy & a friend that lives in Bastrop, TX!) squeezed us in with the last table of the night! It was the PERFECT evening with THE BEST lobster bisque, clams, pasta, wine, family & service!!! We are telling anyone that will listen to go to Sotto Mare, but make reservations! ;-/)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!
Lisa, Amy, Amy & Rebecca