“Perfect”

Sotto Mare Oysteria & Seafood
Ranked #14 of 5,642 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Roswell, Georgia
“Perfect”
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

Very good shellfish, generous portions of very good shellfish. Good reasonable wine and excellent, friendly service. The place is casual and crowded but excellent. In my top three for Bay Area.

Visited January 2014

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
“Worth the Wait!”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My huband and I made this our first stop after a flight from frigid Chicago. We skipped the food for purchase on the plane so that we would be able to eat our fill. And fill we did! After reading many favourable reviews, the cioppino did not disappoint. Succulent crab, calamare, mussels and clams, the penne and broth was superb. No skimping on the portions for Sotto Mare. We went away extremely satisfied and ready to explore San Francisco. Truly the Best Damn Cioppino in the City!

• Visited January 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Excellently prepared, no-frills fresh seafood”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We first went to this place a few years ago, and on our way out from a skiing vacation at Lake Tahoe, we stopped here for lunch on our last day before flying back to DFW. It was just as we remembered it: expertly prepared local seafood. Two from our party shared a wedge salad, and they really liked it. My wife and I shared 1/2 dozen raw oysters (don't recall the name, but they were from Washington state). Ice cold, big, and briney. They were delicious. Our appetites were not ravenous due to a late and large breakfast, so the 4 of us split 2 orders of sand dabs. These are a local specialty, and they're apparently very small (filets are smaller than small tilapia filets) and flounder like. Lightly seasoned and a very light breadcrumb dusting before being sauteed to perfection. Each order had approximately 8 or 9 filets with a side of garlicy sauteed chard. Accompanied by a couple glasses of white wine, sitting outside on a sunny San Francisco afternoon. Service was helpful and responsive yet unobtrusive. One of my favorite seafood restaurants anywhere.

• Visited January 2014
Seattle
“Solid”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Good but not incredible. Everything was yummy. The staff was beyond awesome. They are 5 stars. Would go again.

Visited November 2013
Toronto, Canada
“The Best Seafood in San Francisco!”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I found out about Sotto Mare from an SF native who happened to be sitting next to me at another great SF restaurant where I had a previous dinner. Sotto Mare was fabulous! There were no tables inside so I had dinner on their outdoor patio - good thing it was a lovely November night! The oysters where devine! My main meal - scallops with veggies was delicious! Overall, an excellent meal!

Visited November 2013