“For well-prepared, fresh seafood try Sotto Mare in North Beach”

Sotto Mare Oysteria & Seafood
Ranked #41 of 5,925 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Eager to find another great restaurant in San Francisco, we followed a friend's recommendation and booked reservations at Gigi's Sotto Mare Restaurant at 552 Green Street in North Beach. Known for having really fresh seafood and 'the best damn cioppino' albeit in a small and unpretentious setting, Sotto Mare lived up to our every expectation.

Our party of six enjoyed the cioppino (plenty for 2-3 people), the risotto, linguine with manilla clams, sea scallops and for the non-seafood lover in the group, pasta with a rich pesto sauce. Everyone was very happy with their meals - the only mild complaint from one member of our group was that the food could have arrived hotter, though I didn't notice any problem with the food temperature.

My scallops were the best I've ever had, and plentiful; I think there were 9 big scallops, served in a delicious, rich, garlicy sauce. I'd definitely recommend Sotto Mare to anyone looking for a great, not touristy, seafood restaurant in San Francisco!

1  Thank Jennifer100SanJose
Write a ReviewReviews (2,134)

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Have a craving for some seafood and this place hit the spot. First time ever having Sand Dabs and they were delicious. Restaurant was small but has a nice long bar if you don't mind sitting at the tabletop.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Just amazing. Half the fun was sitting at the bar and watching the team cook. We're from Louisiana and eat a lot of seafood. This was a terrific meal. The cioppino was fresh and flavorful and packed with seafood. If we weren't leaving, I'd eat there again!

Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

We ordered Rissoto, Cioppino and clam chowder. The first two were great to have. They were rated high on the ranking which I agree. The atomosphare was okay, not gorgeous. Not great date place, but rather place for eating with great friends. They do not have dessert menu.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This place is a real find located in the "North Beach", Italian section of San Francisco. The Manilla clams are great. They are known mostly for their seafood. Great food and great prices. One of my favorite places.