“Sotto Mare - Great Cioppino. Best meal in San Fran.”

Sotto Mare Oysteria & Seafood
Ranked #20 of 5,861 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We happened to stumble upon this restaurant by chance. My fiancee and I were sitting across the road in a wine bar and were discussing dinner plans for our second night in San Fran and we noticed Sotto Mare. We had a look on TA and saw all of the great reviews so decided to make a reservation. Trust me - believe the hype - it's worth it! Great seafood and the Cioppino (fish stew) will easily be enough for 2 but you may want more. They played old classics in the background which added to the ambience. Thoroughly enjoyed our dinner here.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,086)

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Great secret among the locals, located in North Beach (near Little Italy). We stopped in for lunch before heading out of town and enjoyed their Steamed Mussels and Clams (its huge, easily shared between 2). My boyfriend and I agree, its the BEST we've had! Fresh & Flavorful!

It won't disappoint! We'll be back for sure!

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We got seated at the end of the counter where the food came out and right in front of the cooks. It was great talking to the staff and watching an amazing kitchen staff at work. Its a little loud but amazing atmosphere. Food...... You HAVE to get the cioppino. Seriously the sauce is amazing and so is the seafood. We are from vancouver and can get amazing shellfish anytime but i would come back here everyday if i could. The clam chowder has bacon!!!! How can you beat that?

Definitely worth checking out if you are in sf!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Last Friday night, we chose this restaurant for our first night in San Francisco. I had made a reservation for 21h00. When we arrived, my wife and I, the boarwalk was full of people standing in lineand waiting to get in. I went inside to inquire whether I had to wait in line or not, since I had a reservation. Louisa was in charge in the place. She first asked me to move back so that I would be out of the way. It was so crowded and she had so many clients to take care of. She then explained to me that we could not go in until the third person in our party showed up. That was fine with me. But then she offered me and my wife a glass of wine that we could have outside the restaurant while waiting. This gesture was one of the nicest thing that happened to us lately. I thought it was worth mentioning and I want to thank Louisa once again for this delicate attention. The food was exceptionnaly good and we dined surrounded by the noises and night life of San Francisco. What a great introduction to a city with so much charm to offer.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

The cioppino at Sotto Mare is truly as good as described in all the reviews. It's delicious and easily feeds two hungry adults. However, the service at the restaurant was not as good as the food and left soemthing to be desired. I ate here with a large group and we were told we couldn't have separate checks. We then had to spend a lot of time after eating trying to figure out our bills. The place is small so our group was placed downstairs. It didn't really feel like a restaurant there. The restaurant does not have desserts which was very surprising. If the service was better, I would have given this restaurant 5 stars, but it doesn't match the level of service I've received at 5 star restaurants. Also, I think the owner is a little obnoxious and should learn how to talk to guests and be more humble and welcoming. Nonetheless, I would return for more cioppino in a heartbeat.