“Great Seafood”

Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Yet another must-try seafood restaurant in San Francisco. Sotto Mare has stellar seafood dishes and a homy atmosphere. The portions were farely generous.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,143)

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Sotto Mare advertises "The Best Damn Cioppino" and they are right. My wife and I shared this wonderful dish and it was more than enough for 2 people. Plenty of fish and a wonderful red sauce. I also had the Blue Cheese Wedge Salad which was also great. The waitresses were great and very attentive. We sat outside and enjoyed the SF afternoon. We'll for sure visit Sotto Mare when we again visit San Francisco

Reviewed November 26, 2012

My father and I went here one evening on a recent trip to San Francisco. We ordered a bowl of clam chowder to split then the cioppino, which was recommended to share. Both were delicious, but the cioppino was the real delight. It is served in a large silver pot that keeps everything hot while you eat. The cioppino has large chunks of crab, beautifully cooked and not overly salty. There is also squid, scallops, clams and mussels in the soup, all in a reach tomato broth with penne noodles. Definitely should be split as it doesn't look like much, but it is packed.

The waitresses were hilarious, tying lobster bibs around our neck and giving my father a hard time (just because they could). The place is loud and crowded, so not a good place for a conversation, but if you are looking for a fun time with great food, check it out.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I went there with two colleagues who were on their first trip to San Francisco. I wanted them to experience the Italian seafood in a style that I think is unique to this city. Although I have been to many restaurants here, I thought I would try Sotto Mare based on reviews here and elsewhere. We were not disappointed. The food was excellent, but, unexpectedly, it was just a great, fun place to eat. Everyone who works there seems to be having fun and it is contagious. This is my new favorite place in San Francisco.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was our first meal during our recent trip to California and we were delighted! It was a Friday evening and the place was very busy and is obviously a local favourite. The menu was great, the fish was fresh and my favourite dish was the Baccala starter which was divine. Accompanied by a lovely bottle of Prosecco. Friendly and efficient service,