“Thank you TripAdvisor!!!”

Sotto Mare Oysteria & Seafood
Ranked #14 of 5,664 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Calgary, Canada
“Thank you TripAdvisor!!!”
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Oh my gosh. Where to start. That place is just AMAZING!!

I wanted to eat good seafood in San Francisco. Since I travel alone (yeah business trips...), I arrived around 5PM. You know, not to take a 2 seats table during big rush. I was seated at the counter, which was fine with me. That way, I didn't have a big L on my forhead. I ordered the shrimp sauté. Every bite of this thing was heaven on Earth. And my mom is a chef. So I'm picky!

I was chatting w the lady beside me. She was w her hubby, and they ordered the"best damn crab cioppino". And she said it was so good, she would have paid the 40$ of the dish (it is a dish for two) on her own, because it was delicious.

It wasn't her first time at this restaurant. She said that if you are coming later (like at 6ish) there will probably be a lineup. But they serve wine to thank you for your patience. ;)

It is an amazing restaurant. Pretty loud though, and the kitchen is open to the dining room, so you can see the fire and everything. However, it comes w it's load of noise. It is a restaurant "sans prétention". There is not beautiful table clothes, nor is there candles, but the food is amazing. I'm back home, and still dream of my next time there.

And if you are still hungry (or if you want to taste the best tiramisu outside of Italy), I would suggest to stop by Stella Pastry & Café at literally 2 minutes away.

Like seriously for the price, you won't find better seafood in town.

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Sotto Mare can't miss with Great Food / Great time”
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I really enjoyed myself at Sotto Mare. Great Food.. you have to try " The Best Damn Cioppino," Great Service.
The sister duo of Louisa and Betty treated me like family, but I still had to pay lol. Check it out for yourself !!!

“Great Time and Great Food .. Can't miss at Sotto Mare”
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

The place was packed, but once I was seated let the good times roll along with Great Food especially "The Best Damn Cloppino" you have to taste it for yourself.

The sister duo Louisa and Betty really treated me like family... I still had to pay lol

1 Thank Fdmajik
Bangkok
“Great seafood, so-so service”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I stopped at Sotto Mare for lunch. We got there around 11:30am, so the crowd was not really there yet.

We ordered Cioppino and scallops. The Cioppino was wonderful for me, even though my husband was not a big fan. He loved the scallops though. They were juicy and huge! Great dishes overall. The service, on the other hand, was not as great. It's ok, but not great. We had to wait for a while to be seated, to get the bill, etc. Total came to $60.

• Visited October 2012
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Sotto Mare Oysteria in San Francisco”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were driving to Petaluma, CA and drove through San Francisco to find the North Beach Cafe on Columbia but we were both hungry for seafood so we walked around the corner and we saw a line in front of Sotto Mare, an Oysteria and because we wanted to sit outside the waitress sent us two doors down to Gino's bar and we were met with a great guy who served us a tea and glass of wine..we then walked back down and our table outside was ready...so many people waiting in line to eat...the place inside is crowded with only tables along the wall and at the bar and we had great salads and amazing shrimp, clams, wonderful bread and our service was awesome....loved it! V. Taylor

• Visited September 2012