“Central location. Will stay here again.”

Worldmark San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 15, 2012

It is in a very central location. One block from union square and Chinatown. A very frequent bus #30 that goes to Fisherman Wharf. Cable car is one block away (but don't plan to get on there unless you are boarding before 8am). Staff is friendly and helpful. Furniture and decor are quite up to date. The only thing is that it is fairly noisy, being in a corner of busy streets and right across from a bar. Good thing they provide ear plugs.

I saw some reviews and said the units are small. Indeed they are but better than I expected. Tried staying at hotels in Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong then you would think this is spacious.

Room Tip: Two sides are facing the streets and they would be noiser than the side that doesn't.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TLVancouver
There are newer reviews for Worldmark San Francisco

Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with my boyfriend 1-4 July. Overall the location was great, just a short walk to Union Square and further along to Westfield for those who like to shop. My first impression of our room was how TINY it was, but understandable considering the size of the building. It was very cost and everything we needed was there (apart for laundry needs, but there's a laundromat just across the road). Had a bit of an issue with the TV during our second night, but a lovely gentleman from the front desk came up to our room and fixed it on the spot.

Pros: good location, generally quiet at night, friendly staff, clean room

Cons: small room, wouldn't recommend for a long stay, only one elevator which creates traffic in the lobby (luckily our room was on the third floor, we'd take the stairs a lot of the time)

I'd recommend this hotel for anyone who's stopping by for a few days. Make use of the information and coupons in the lobby! We'd often order in pizza which was free delivery. Also, try Roxanne's cafe just up the street, we had breakfast there twice (opens at 6am) and the hotel provided us with 15% coupons :)

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Worldmark San Francisco ~ it was a very small Worldmark at the end of Chinatown. We only stayed one night on our way to Worldmark - Angels Camp, CA. We arrived on a Monday around 12:30 pm, our room wasn't ready yet. The resort offered to hold our bags for us while our room was being cleaned. We walked to the wharf from Bush Street, it wasn't a bad walk and was able to see what was available to us. It was fun looking around in Chinatown, shopping @ union square and Fisherman's Wharf. We got back to the hotel @ 4PM check-in, we took the hotel up on the valet for $35 per night - this allowed us to check car in and out with one fee. Our room was on the ninth floor...we loaded the bags on the cart and started up the elevator to our surprise, the elevator only went up to the 8th floor. We hand carried all of our stuff up a flight of stairs. We booked a studio room, not sure if they offered anything different but we figured we were only staying one night. The room was small, but very clean and decorated nicely for an old building. Our view was the roof tops of some other buildings. The bed was a little hard for my preference. This room included a microwave, small refrigerator, and utensils/glasses. The TV was a wall mount and had a DVD player. This location doesn’t have a pool or spa area either. I did see that they offered a small work-out room. We got a late start on going out to for dinner and decided to stay close by. We ended up going down the street a few blocks on Bush, and most of the restaurants have already closed (by 8:00pm). We found a lil pub called, Irish Bank and figured we didn’t have much choice. The food was very average nothing great. Breakfast we ate @ Roxanne Cafe ~ Corner of Powell and Bush ~ food was good and offered a discount for Worldmark!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Darcy S
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed at the WorldMark San Francisco as a timeshare exchange. (my timeshare is in FL) I knew ahead of time that it would be much smaller than the 2 bed condos I usually stay in. I was expecting tiny, but didn't mind because I don't spend much time in a room while visiting SF. Well the room was bigger than I expected! It had the bed, a few comfy chairs, a table and 2 chairs and plenty of room. The building is historic, but the unit was nicely updated. The bathroom was large and very clean!
There was also a microwave, coffee maker and fridge in the room. Downstairs they had free washers and dryers. This allowed me to pack lighter and do a little laundry mid-week. And the laundry room was empty when I did my washes, too. Every employee I came into contact with was friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to make me feel welcome.
The location was great. It is just on top of the Stockton Tunnel and if you go down the stairs you can either walk to Union Square or take the 30-Stockton bus to other parts of the city. If you walked up 1 block, you could jump right on a cable car.
The bar across the street, The Tunnel Top, is a cool little place - more my speed early in the week when it was slow, though. It might have been a dive once, but it's not any more. There is a small grocery across the street, but I opted to take the bus to the large Safeway in the Marina for its bigger selection and non-conveniences store prices.
The bed was comfortable and I kept the windows open all the time with no problems from noise. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.
When I went to the front desk on my last night to put in a call for a cab, which would have run me about $50, they told me they could call a shuttle for only $12. That was such a good deal and the shuttle was right on time.

Room Tip: Timeshare- rooms are assigned the night before stay.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Mailgirl
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by this little gem of a hotel in the Union Square/Nob Hill area of San Francisco. We loved that the room had a little kitchenette area (which includes a microwave, coffee maker, sink and refrigerator), a separate bedroom, a spacious bathroom and a dining table. It almost felt like a little apartment which, to us, made all the difference. It was recently renovated and oh-so-clean and functional and proved that the tiny space of a regular hotel room can be awfully claustrophobic and uncomfortable after a day or two. I think it's nice to wake up in the morning, make your own coffee and have a bowl of cereal because eating out for every meal is not only expensive but boring. We stayed at the Worldmark for 5 nights and we only have a couple of minor complaints (one of which nothing can be done): the floor is very uneven and has a pretty noticeable incline toward the street side (we were in room 606). I suppose that is to be expected in an older structure in a hilly city like SF, though. The only other thing we weren't crazy about was the bed. It was pretty firm which is not to our liking. They could definitely upgrade to better pillows as well. My back and neck have seen better days, but after a couple of nights I did begin to adjust to it a little better. Keep in mind this is a very busy part of town, so the noise is a given. Thankfully, the hotel supplies you with earplugs if you are a light sleeper. We loved the location of this hotel the most--a block away from the Chinatown entrance and within walking distance to Union Square and the cable car line on Powell St. A quick trip to the Embarcadero, Fisherman's Wharf and Nob Hill. If you have a car, they will valet it for you at the parking lot across the street. The cost is about 35 bucks a day. If you intend to stay only in SF there's no need for a car, but if you want to get away to Sausilito, Muir Woods, Monterey, Big Sur etc. (highly recommended), then you should definitely plan on renting. SF is a great town for public transportation and you can get a 3 day pass for the bus and cable cars for about 21 which is a great deal. Try to hit the Golden Gate Park, Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, Haight Ashbury, Union Square, Chinatown and the Embarcadero at the bare minimum. San Francisco is a beautiful City and staying at the Worldmark made it that much more enjoyable. Overall we had a lovely stay there and will definitely go back. The room and its layout made all the difference to us--we loved how it felt like San Francisco in every way.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jpug2002
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Worldmark San Francisco is a great place to stay when visiting the Bay Area. It’s conveniently located near Fisherman’s Wharf, Union Square, Chinatown and North Beach. This converted hotel is unlike any other Worldmark resort in that the rooms are smaller than the new places. The resort is still a top notch place and is well kept and clean. You will hear the typical city noise outside your windows (sirens, horns, etc). The lobby hosts a few events like wine and cheese tastings that are a fun way to start your evening in SF.

Parking can be a bit of a hassle as the resort doesn’t have its own garage. We always use the Sutter-Stockton St. Garage which is located directly across the street from the Worldmark. The rates are pretty reasonable at about $3 per hour, but if you park after 5PM and leave before 8AM it’s just an $8 flat rate. You can’t beat that. There is a small workout room, but no pool or hot tub (you’re certainly not going to the Bay Area to swim are you?). The building has only one elevator which can be somewhat inconvenient during busy times, but in a historic building like this you can forgive this small issue.

If you’re a Worldmark owner with plans to visit San Francisco this resort is truly a hidden gem.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Papa_Lou1
Reviewed May 21, 2012

My friend and I stayed here 2 years ago in a one bed/2bathroom room in which the couch folded out. This time we had a studio each, a 'less desirable studio. We found the rooms very satisfactory. Both looked onto a well area which which provided adequate light. Yes, we probably used the lights more than in a street facing room but we also didn't have any traffic noise to contend with.
All up this is a good hotel, location is super as only a few blocks to anywhere or to at least a bus to get you anywhere. Staff friendly and rooms always clean.
Remembering it is an older hotel and in cities such as this, rooms are sometimes smaller I would recommend this hotel. We will return again, hopefully won't take 2 years next time :-)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends