“Oh yea, good, reasonable priced, worth a stop!!”

Bund Shanghai Restaurant
Ranked #403 of 5,921 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Taiwanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Description: Recommended by Michelin Restaurant Guide, San Francisco Examiner, and SF Weekly. Serve exquisite dumpling and noodle dishes. Great meat and seafood choices. Many vegetarian dishes as well. Open 7 days a week from 11:30 to 9:30.
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We were very happy with this meal. We knew we were set when the hot tea had " leaves" come out as you poured it . My family split: chicken fried rice, sweet & sour chicken, veg spring roll, sweet & sour soup, pork pot stickers. I loved it all, the family loved it all minus the pot stickers. $36 before tip.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I ordered soup dumplings, hot and sour soup, spring rolls, mongolian beef, and general tso chicken (we had leftovers). All were fantastic and the price is affordable. With a couple of beers and all this food, price was just over $50. Definitely would eat there again.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

This place is bigger than it looks from the outside. I went alone and they didn't sit me in a corner which other places do. The small hot and sour soup would serve 2 - I put a good dent in it though because it was so good. I also ordered the salt and pepper sea bass (this was one of the more expensive things on the menu) plus mixed vegetables which I asked to be spicy. Both dishes were served up piping hot, the vegetables were perfectly cooked with just the right amount of "zing" and the fish came as bite-sized chunks which had been lightly fried. Again, the portions of each were large. I am used to eating in Chinatown in Boston, this was my first culinary adventure in San Francisco's Chinatown....and they definitely provided a good experience. I would return without hesitation.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I knew I wanted to go to Chinatown for dinner, but I didn't know where. Turning to the Internet, I got everything from "Don't eat in Chinatown!" to "Great restaurant!" One review seemed cogent, a thumbs up for Bund Shanghai, with emphasis on authentic.

It's off the main drag (Grant Ave), and doesn't look like much. Of course in my experience the fancy looking places are a crapshoot, and the old Chinese maxim is that if the proprietors spent all that money on the decor, the food must have been shorted in the deal. In this case the interior is really not that bad, the tables were clean, and I was seated quickly on a weekend evening as a party of one. And I was one of the only gwai lo in the place, which is usually a good sign. The service, like most in SF, was a bit brusque, and if you wanted something you had to make eye contact with a prowling waitron . . . but they did prowl. When I asked for something it came quickly, which is what I need.

Salt peanuts and nice fresh tea (let it sit a bit, my immediate pour gave me a fair amount of loose leaf) were served with the menu. I like that. The small hot and sour soup is enough for four typical restaurant servings (see pic, $4.50), and was delicious. Not very hot, but very nicely balanced. The hot oil made up for that (pic), and was blazing. Probably from a bottle, but a good bottle at least. I'd like to know the brand.

The vegetarian spring rolls were lovely, really fresh out of the fryer (I HATE cold/cool/warm food that should be HOT), not too greasy, the veg inside just right (4 for $4.50, see pic). It's not easy to find a place that can do a veg spring roll that has crisp skin, not oily, with just the right crispness to the veg (not crunchy/chewy, not soggy). And the plum sauce was just right, sweet but with a nice balanced tanginess. You can tell a lot about a Chinese place by their plum sauce. Bund's was definitely homemade and tasty.

Finally, the masterpiece. Beef Fried Noodle in Black Pepper Sauce ($8.50!!). I was expecting those too crunchy and at the same time too soggy pan-fried noodles with indifferent vegetables and chewy, cheap beef cuts. What a shock! Perfectly cooked noodles (al dente), just the right crispy texture veg (cabbage, onion, green bean), and shockingly tender and generously portioned beef . . . from the texture, tenderloin. Just the right black pepperiness in the sauce. Brilliant dish.

Overall I loved the place. I admit the service wasn't fawning, in fact you had to wave someone down in most cases. But they were wavable, and didn't spend their time chatting near the kitchen and ignoring the room. And the food . . . simply yummers.

2  Thank Richard R
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were so looking forward to great Chinese food in SF & based upon reviews we though this was the place - probably the best Hot & Sour Soup we have ever had - Orange Peel Chicken was really good - pot stickers not so good however the other items more than made up for that. BUT the service went from annoyed inconvenience to overt rudeness --- ranged from us bring ignored to having dishes slammed on the table then being glared at once check finally arrived - 15 minutes after our meal was done. Really? Undoubted other places in SF offer .delicious Chinese food & perhaps not so angry staff?

1  Thank HappyVagabond2458