“Great, tasty, affordable and authentic NY pizza”

Escape From New York Pizza
Ranked #808 of 5,767 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Haight-Ashbury
Reviewed June 2, 2012

After spending a great deal of money at a variety of really good restaurants when travelling to San Fran, this place was a nice, down to earth break, both on the wallet and on the palate.

We had just completed a long walk through the Park and the Haight and wanted a bite before getting back to the hotel. I love NY style pizza and can't really get it where we live, so my husband and I grabbed a couple of slices to hold us over: amazing! An excellent slice, no more no less.

It seemed appropriate to the neighborhood as well...

The environment was typical "pizza slice place" and reminded me of the pizza place I used to go to after drinking in college in upstate NY. Definitely not fancy, but enough places to sit. Great posters on the wall and a number of random autographed photos of assorted celebrities.

There are newer reviews for Escape From New York Pizza

Reviewed February 20, 2012

The pizzas here are sensational! $5 per masive slice. Easily enough for a meal. great value.

Reviewed November 17, 2011

The pizzas where some of the best pizzas I have had. The service was pretty basic service but when they serve great pizzas, so what?

Reviewed November 8, 2011

If you are in San Francisco, CA and you're looking for some great pizza...you have to check out Escape from New York. My friends & I have only gone to the Haight/Ashbury location but there are several other locations also. You can get pizza by the slice or you can get a whole pizza. My favorite is the "U Say Potato" pizza. It has pesto, sliced red potatoes, whole garlic cloves & lots of cheese. It is absolutely delicious and I highly recommend that you try it. You'll be hook just like me.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

Happened upon this pizza place while exploring Golden Gate Park and the Haight with hubby and friends. If you like thin crust pizza this is the place for you. I had the pesto pizza, hubby had the potato, garlic and pesto, and we shared the spinach, feta, sun-dried tomato and artichoke. Our friends had the pepperoni and the margherita. We all liked our selections. The shop was not big, but had plenty of seating. The prices for the pizza and fountain drinks were much better than you would pay in a touristy area like the Ferry building or Pier 39. If you are in SF this is definitely worth trying. I believe they have 4 or 5 other locations.