“Just Misses Being Very Good”
Review of Ashoka - CLOSED

Ashoka
Cuisines: Indian
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Marina District
Cross street: Fillmore St.
Description: Ashoka is a small privately-owned restaurant which takes great pride in bringing the greatest measure of pleasure and satisfaction to our customers. We strive to provide you with personal and attentive service in a quiet and romantic atmosphere. When you dine at Ashoka Restaurant you will enjoy some of the finest Indian food in the Bay Area. We offer a broad selection of the best and most popular Indian food from around the vast and varied country of India. All our food is prepared using the freshest and most authentic ingredients, cooked on the premises to meet your specific requests and to satisfy the most discriminating of tastes. All our dishes are prepared by our fine chef who has a natural flair for subtly blending a variety of exotic spices to create unique flavors and mouth-watering dishes. Our menu emphasizes some of the best recipes derived from royal households, not from commercial kitchens.
VT
“Just Misses Being Very Good”
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

This place is really narrow, with very high ceilings. It's well decorated and pleasant. The apparent owner carried on a businesses conversation with someone most of the time we were there. The wine was okay at best and the mango lasso was made in a blender with ice, something I've not seen before. The paneer tikka masala was ordered medium spicy and was nice but bland. The navrattan korma was undistinguished. The garlic naan didn't taste of garlic at all; it was crispy, thin, and tasted like pizza crust. All in all it was a pleasant meal but not great Indian food.

1 Thank VTLongTimeTraveler

“Forget Delhi, this is it!!!!!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Great food, hosts and entertainment. I was on holidays from Australia and found this joint on a morning stroll.... Wish I could got back, but unfortunately I'd now have to get a jumbo to get there. Keep up the good work guys Ill be back some day for some tikka and rogan josh!!!!

• Visited July 2013
“Tiny Place, Big On Taste”
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

I have to say that I have not had Indian food this good since I was in London. Chicken Ticca and Lamb Curry. They need to locate to Los Angeles so I can enjoy their menu more often.

Winnipeg Manitoba
“Go Early for a Table”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This tiny Indian restaurant was delightful. Although very small, we were in early enough to get a table before it filled up completely. The service was good, the food was excellent and the price was reasonable. Portion size was good!

• Visited September 2012
UK
“A true taste of India . . .”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

What can I say? My husband and I stumbled on this Restaurant when we were in San Francisco late last year. and we just kept going back! The food is by far THE best Indian Cuisine in SF. We've tried a number of Indian restaurants in SF but non can come any where near the Ashoka, in terms of the excellent, mouth watering dishes, extensive menu, fantastic service and unrivalled value. I'm passionate about Indian Cuisine and I don't always look for the most 'reasonably priced menu' - cost isn't a consideration when I'm choosing which Indian restaurant to eat at, but that said, the Ashoka isn't just about their exquisite food, it's also a very well priced menu. When we return to SF, very soon, we'll be heading straight back to the Ashoka! A fairly small and intimate restaurant with a great atmosphere! If you enjoy Indian food, you really wont be disappointed - give it a try!

• Visited November 2011