“Excelent food”

Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Japantown
Neighborhood: Japantown
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The meat er good, and the service excelent, is a very familiar ambience
We tried two diferent meat quality and them all excelent

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Our first experience with shabu shabu, so take this review with a grain of salt. The four of us ordered two orders, both with the bonito base, which we found sorely lacking in flavor. The server brought us some miso paste and red pepper flakes, which greatly improved the flavor of the broth. We found the scallops appetizer, kimchee, and seaweed salad all to be better than the shabu shabu flavor-wise. The best base ingredient for the shabu shabu seemed to be the dry-aged beef, which had a robust flavor. The shrimp and scallops in the other dish were fresh, but did not impart much flavor to the dish.

The restaurant's downstairs is small and intimate, seating approximately 30 people, including the bar area. Service is decent. Prices seemed a little high, but not outrageously so.

1  Thank Gene T
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This restaurant was very busy - specialized in Shabu Shabu however a few things to note: you get a pot with steaming water, not broth, so what you get in the end is just sangy water - not soup. They were stingy on the veggies. I just found it rather flavorless... which is what you'd expect from thinly sliced boiled beef right? Maybe I'm not a Shabu person but this place was not cheap and didn't rise to the occasion.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

Shabusen Restaurant serves up some of the best shabu shabu in San Francisco. Shabusen, located on the Peace Plaza in Japantown, is an authentic Japanese (-American) restaurant serving shabu shabu as well as sukiyaki.

The shabu shabu menu is limited but delicious. It's either chicken, beef, shrimp plus the accompanying vegetables. We shared the both beef and shrimp between three people. I recommend ordering 2 plates of protein for 2-3 people and then add a plate per person after that, depending on how much you tend to eat. The vegetable plate comes with every order but is a bit disappointing. I am used to a variety of noodles and vegetables with my shabu shabu, but Shabusen serves up 90% cabbage with a few carrots, noodles, mushroom and cubes of tofu. Not the great selection I have come to expect with shabu shabu. Add a side of rice or an appetizer per person for a little variety. The one thing I did like the best were the dipping sauces. The ponzu-style and miso-based dipping sauces were a perfect accompaniment to my shabu shabu.

I recommend Shabusen for delicious authentic shabu shabu. It really is the best shabu shabu in Japantown. For more reviews: www.alicestadertravels.blogspot.com

Reviewed July 24, 2008

Meat was OK but Shabu shabu dipping souce( Miso and ponzu taste) was not so good.