“Gelateria Naia”

Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
San Francisco, California
“Gelateria Naia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

Great gelato in a very unassuming shop. We came here late night after having dinner at Sotto Mare. Gelateria Naia is probably one of the least atmospheric gelato places I've been to (in terms of creating the Italian experience), but their gelato is consistently delicious. I favor the milder options like Rose or Jasmine Tea, and my mom favors the fruitier ones like Mango. All taste very fresh and you can try as many as you want before deciding. I also like that they use metal tasting spoons so they can wash and reuse. The decor went for a bare and minimalist style and didn't quite work for me.

• Visited March 2014

lanex
“Not Italy but pretty good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

After but being spoiled in Rome and Florence we find it hard to have any measure up but really pretty good and some of the best we have had in the States

Visited February 2014
Missouri City, Texas
“Almost Like Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Lots of families make it a point to end their dinner outings with a trip to Gelateria Naia in San Francisco and I always would wonder what is so special about this place. The flavors are simply out of the world. There are some weird ones like some perfumes – I sensed lavender. This place reminds me of several places I visited in Rome. While the Rome gelaterias are at a higher level this one here is not far behind. May be they have learnt from there and got trained as well. Some sorbets especially for vegetarians are a nice touch to include all classes of customers. Some of the innovations include sourcing from local suppliers such as coffee. When you learn that you are helping a local guy the ice creams taste that much better. Some patriotism!

• Visited December 2013
San Francisco, California
“YUM!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Stayed in North Beach for a long weekend (four nights) and had gelato here three times! It was really tasty with a good texture. I prefer fruity gelato, and my favorites were meyer lemon, blood orange, and honey tangerine, with satsuma mandarin and orange close behind. My friend was more into the non-fruity and enjoyed hazelnut, chocolate malt, and a few others I can't remember (I know, helpful). Basically, we tried a bunch of flavors, and didn't really find a bad one. We tended to go later at night and it was never busy and even just before close the staff were always very nice and willing to let us try however many we wanted. The downfall is that many flavors were out by the time we got there. Really good prices and variety--you can chose 1-2 flavors in a small or 3-4 in a medium or large--which was way better than other places we tried that cost more for smaller portions AND you could only get ONE flavor unless you ordered the largest size. Looking forward to my next trip to the city to enjoy more gelato here!!!!

• Visited February 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Tasty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

$5 get you a waffle cone with up to four flavors. Seems fair to me. I stuck with two. Pumpkin and toasted coconut. Both were really good. Our server was very patient as we sampled several flavors and made her wait through our indecisiveness. There are a number of gelatoterias in North Beach. This is the only one I went to during my visit but I would definitely go back.