“want to be in the movies ?”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Zoetrope

Cafe Zoetrope
Ranked #363 of 5,644 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Columbus Ave.
Datchworth, United Kingdom
“want to be in the movies ?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

fun place good location - good food steaks particuraly good, little on the expensice side but your paying for the name and the location. wines well worth a go and of particuraly good value for europeans. recommended

Visited August 2013

“Great lunch!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stopped in for lunch and really enjoyed the service, ambience, good food (great meatballs with spaghetti) and wine (from the Coppola vineyard). It was very quiet the day we were there and thus could hear the light jazz playing in the background and soak up all the photos, and memorabilia at our leisure.

Richmond, Virginia
“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I've been to San Fran twice and eaten here both times. Love it. Very good simple Italian (fantastic FCC meatballs). It's very small, so go early or expect to wait. Lots of cool Francis Ford Coppola memorabilia on the walls too.

“Overrated and underwhelming.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Having enjoyed a fantastic lunch at Coppoloa's winery, my friend & I were excited to have supper here. Despite having made a reservation, we had to wait for our table to be ready. We had a glass of wine at the (heaving) bar while we waited. Once sat down, we were given standard bread in a basket & our order was taken. This is when the trouble really began; our starters took 30 minutes to arrive & during our eating of them, our mains were brought to the table! We asked for them to be taken away & then the rather snooty waiter told us to "let him know when we were ready for our mains"! My friend asked for a new pizza to be made as the one they brought up was cold & burnt to a crisp from sitting under the hot lamps. When we did have our main, the pasta was totally tasteless. I had the arrabiata & it was clearly tinned tomatoes & a dash of herbs with a few cloves of garlic. I had two mouthfuls & left the rest. My friend's pizza was ok but nothing to write home about. With a sigh, the waiter told me that the pasta would come off the bill. What made our experience even worse was the staff packing up around us! Condiments being moved, chairs being stacked etc etc The surliness of the (too few) staff made us feel like we were in the way & not spending over a $100! If you can get out to Healdsburg, I would go there rather than even bother coming here!!

1 Thank Chodger
Christchurch
“Good Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Three hungry 'Chinatown' explorers searching for chicken soup stumbled across Cafe Zoetrope. Seduced to cross the road by the fabulous green exterior of the landmark Sentinel Building. We look it up and discover that it's owned by Francis Ford Coppola! Thats a pleasant surprise and we forgo our chinese noodles for Italian ones.
Greeted by a charming white aproned waiter who seats us in a cosy booth seat. Menu's are presented and a fixed price three course option is explained. It feels very European with bamboo backed chairs, simple table clothes, heavy cutlery and starched white napkins. Water and bread arrives. We order drinks, an 09 FFC chardonnay for my husband and a Sofia Rose for me our friend stays with water. Our wine arrives and we order. My husband takes the 3 course option. Soup , a salad with tiramisu for dessert. Meatballs for me and a simple Spaghetti Pomodoro for our friend. The wine is delicious. The restaurant is lovely. Crazy paving floor is very cool, a small but busy central bar divides the two dining areas. The white walls are amazing, hung ceiling to floor with mirrors, posters and photographic memorabilia celebrating a brilliant career. The bread is good, balsamic and x.v.olive oil. The condiments including chilli flakes are branded. Coppola. His name is plastered around us on hundreds of wine bottles. I love it. We enjoyed all of our meals and shared the tiramisu. Coffee was also very good. The service was attentive. My only minor peeve would be getting told off by a member of staff for taking a couple of snaps on my iphone as I left. Crazy in this day and age. I'd loved to of checked in and shared a few pictures with my family and friends on the internet.

• Visited June 2013