“We loved it and so did the kids”

Bi-Rite Creamery & Bakeshop
Ranked #1 of 146 Dessert in San Francisco
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Mission District
Nahant, Massachusetts
“We loved it and so did the kids”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

There is always a line, it seems. Soft serve line is always shorter. It's a short walk to Dolores Park.

• Korean first
Whiston
“To die for”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We had to catch the bus from Market Street to get here, though it was easy to find, plus a good 15 minute walk from the bus stop. Was it worth it? YOU BET. We both had the salted caramel ice-cream along with to other varieties. Well worth the trip out there and yes we had to queue.

Austin, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good quality, little weak on flavours”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Let me begin by acknowledging I am an ice cream snob. I prefer high quality ingredients and natural flavours that sing. With that in mind, I was not particularly impressed by Bi-Rite Creamery.

The ice cream was enjoyable, don't get me wrong. The consistency was great and the creaminess spot on. The staff behind the counter were happy and totally working to keep things smooth and moving. (Recommendation for the indecisive: pore over the menu outside the door so you don't do anything to slow down this well-oiled machine. Dawdling is not appreciated here.)

I failed to be bowled over by the flavours, unfortunately. The honey lavender was the best item among my sampling, and I would get it again. The lavender taste was strong and consistent but not at all overpowering, and I really liked this. Unfortunately, this ice cream was one-note and lacked, for me at least, any flavour of honey. Not surprising against such a punchy companion, maybe, but then that suggests a need for a better pairing. The Dainty Gentleman, which sported a variety of interesting-sounding flavours, was overwhelmed by the liberal sea salt sprinkled on the top. Nothing else stood out on its own, and the whole ended up being muddy and indeterminate in terms of taste, despite the use of good quality individual components. The basil ice cream, which was most intriguing, was in fact the most bland and disappointing. It didn't taste, well, like anything.

Bi-Rite may be better for flavours with lots of mix-ins and texture, where singular flavours are acceptable in combination with the good cream and sheer pleasure of indulging in ice cream. One certainly could do a lot worse elsewhere!

San Francisco, California
“My favorite two flavors and a tip!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I went to Ice-Cream Lab in Beverly Hills, CA last weekend and had the Mulholland Mint Chip. Not so good. It just made me appreciate San Francisco ice cream even more--especially the mint chip here at Bi-Rite. I'm a local here, and I come here often with friends from out of town or even if I happen to be in the Mission. Cold or hot weather, there's typically a long line, but it goes fairly quickly. My staples here are ricanelas (pronounced ri-ca-NEL-as) and mint and chip. Single scoop, two flavors, yes please!

Tip: Have a picnic lunch at Dolores Park with your Ike's Place sandwiches, and then come by Bi-Rite for dessert. Win!

• Visited June 2013
“Delicious ice cream”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We had some of the most delicious ice cream at Bi-Rite Creamery tonight! We were there around 7pm, and the line was about 20 people deep. It's worth the wait though. I love the way they do their scoop sizing- a single can either be 1 large scoop, or 2 smaller scoops, and so on for doubles and triples- so you get to try more of their delicious flavors. I had salted caramel and malted vanilla (w/ peanut brittle & milk chocolate), and my husband had cinnamon with snicker doodles and brown sugar. They were all fantastic! Go here!!

• Visited August 2013