“Good for everyone but the vegetarian”

Roy's - San Francisco
Reserve with OpenTable
Roy's - San Francisco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #530 of 5,665 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Between 1st and 2nd
Transit: BART (Montgomery Exit) MUNI (Mission #12)
Cleveland, OH
“Good for everyone but the vegetarian”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

My dining companions very much enjoyed their meals (mahi mahi and tuna). I had the portobello dish from the vegetarian menu and it was only mediocre. It was obvious that the waiter did not serve it very often and I asked that they substitute just vegetables but they did not want to do that. It was a mistake-- vegetables would have been better. Atmosphere was nice.

Visited November 2013

Davis, California
“Great Service!”
Reviewed November 20, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Visited because I have an invitation from the restaurant and was offered a good discount. Ordered one of the Prix Fixes and the grilled fish was overcooked and dry. Server came by to ask how the food was when I finished half of it and I told him it was overcooked. He immediately offered to have it replaced even though I said it was OK. He insisted it won't take long so I let him.

He came back and told me they ran out of that fish and offered me a selections from the main entrees. Which cost more and he suggested the best and the most expensive one to me. It turned out to be WAY better and the best butter fish I've had.

I wish their Prix Fixes were made better, since if people on budget might just try that the first time coming and it may turn them away due to the lower quality. Their main entrees were bigger and presentation are better when I looked around at others' tables.

Will definitely come back!

Visited September 2013
Hickory, North Carolina
“Excellent food!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I've always been a big fan of the food at Roy's, and this visit was no exception. I was flying solo on a business trip, so I sat at the Chef's counter. The restaurant was not busy, and my food came in a timely manner. As always, the food was OUTSTANDING. I can't speak highly enough of the Miso Butterfish... it was truly a melt-in-your-mouth dish!
I took off 1 star for the service. After my food was delivered, the server never checked back with me. I had to ask for the check, and then wait again to pay my bill before I could leave.

Visited November 2013
SF, CA
“The NOISE level was out of this world”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

While the Birthday Girl said her fish was good and that she enjoyed her birthday dinner, the NOISE level was such that we could not hear each other across the table. I do not remember ever having been in such a NOISY restaurant. All things considered: food quality, service, value, and atmosphere, I will not return to Roy's in San Francisco, nor will I look for one in any other city.

• Visited November 2013
Palo Alto, California
“save room for desserts”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This is a great place, you can come for a casual meal or a special occasion. The food is delicious and very interesting, very diverse in tastes. What sets this place truly apart are the desserts, particularly the chocolate soufflé, which is truly amazing, and I don’t even like dark chocolate! So save room for it and order it early, it does take at least 15 minutes to make.

• Visited October 2013