“Expected more of the food & the atomsphere” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yoshi's - CLOSED

Yoshi's
Cuisines: Japanese, American, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Eddy
Description: Designed by award winning architect Mori Moto, Yoshi's San Francisco location opened in 2007. Residing in the Fillmore Heritage Center at 1330 Fillmore St., this 28,000 square-foot, two-story, state-of-the-art live music club and upscale Japanese restaurant features the best of local, national and international performance artists.
San Francisco, California
“Expected more of the food & the atomsphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

The food was good but not good enough for the price, and the service was pretty bad. We were a group of four, had booked dinner for 6:15 PM before the show. They seemed understaffed and forgetful. I ordered Sushi, the rest of the group hot dishes. I had to wait for quite some time before my food arrived after everybody had been served..actually after one of our friends went to talk to the restaurant manager. The waiter did not seem to take any decisive action. The restaurant looks nice inside and there was a band playing, but it was very very noisy in there.

To the show: I generally find that places where bands have 2 shows a night tend to be more of a music factory. It was good fun and we had nice seats close to the stage, but there is just a different feel to a concert that lasts all night and then ends. You get this notion of being asked to leave so the next set of folks can come in. If you don't mind that, it's a nice place. But I was disappointed.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

London, Canada
“First class food and jazz!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Yoshi's is a terrific place. We had dinner and then went to the performance. Dinner was amazing in terms of the quality and the service. We started with hamachi sushi, then ordered a couple of mains: my husband had the black cod, which was perfectly cooked and bursting with flavour, and I had the braised brisket, which was meltingly tender and had mild Asian flavours of sesame and soy. For dessert, I had something that resembled a deconstructed sweet potato pie; very tasty and interesting. The service was very professional and expedient, and we were out 10 minutes before the show started. The show was very entertaining: great music! This is a very cool space with great food and excellent service. Next time I am in San Fran, I will definitely return.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Relaxed59
San Francisco, California
“Great food and Sony Holland as well - a real treat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had just returned from a five month stay in Jaipur, Rajasthan, India, exactly at this time to see my favorite jazz diva, Sony Holland, perform at Yoshi's Fillmore. I was ravenous for Japanese food, sashimi and sushi in particular. India was one place I would never eat it. Last time Sony had a gig at Yoshi's, my friend and I had a pre-theatre meal there so I already knew I would be delighted. The biggest difficulty is choosing from their excellent menu. Kris and I decided to share several appetizers and forego the entrees. Our waiter was outstanding and made several recommendations. The brussels sprouts were like none I've ever eaten, crispy, and redolent of lemon, and well worth a stop at Yoshi's on their merit alone. The hamachi-maguro roll, tobiko topped and laced with jalapeno, was so good and, after being deprived of beef for almost half a year, I loved the rare ( my request ) American "kobe" loin. With the calamari and a bottle of excellent St. Supery sauvignon blanc, we were perfectly satiated and ready for the show! Instead of dessert, we opted for a pear vodka with St. Germain elderflower liquor in the showroom. It couldn't have been a lovelier evening. There are other many choices I would like to try but I would never eat there without having those brussels sprouts!!!

• Visited November 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Wonderful Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I stumbled upon Yoshi's while on our honeymoon in San Francisco. We had been down at Fisherman's Wharf all day and since we were staying at the Presidio, we wanted something closer by. What a GREAT find! There happened to be a jazz group playing the night we were in. The atmosphere was great as was the food. We had everything from edamame to sushi to a chicken dish that was delish! Way to go Yoshi's!

• Visited October 2012
Reno NV
“Fantastic! A dinner experience...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

I'm not one for dinner theatre, and that's kind of what I expected at Yoshi's. What I got was an amazing food experience with a side of lovely live jazz.

Everything we ordered was fantastic: the calamari (to die for!), the japanese taquitos, the sushi platter, the fish entree.

But the star of the meal was the desserts! They were creative and unique, with delicious, well-balanced flavors and textures. Each one was like a little plate of edible art.

Ohhhh - and the COCKTAILS! I almost forgot to mention this. Forget wine and go straight for the cocktail list. They are not to be missed, with fresh, real ingredients in delicious combinations. No sour mix here.

We found the prices to be very fair: the same or better than you'd find at comparable SF restaurants. And the music, my biggest concern, was not obtrusive and at a perfectly comfortable level... Definitely not a forced focal point.

• Visited September 2012