“If you like ice cream, you'll love Mitchell's”

Mitchell's Ice Cream
Ranked #13 of 143 Dessert in San Francisco
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Noe Valley
Reviewed July 23, 2013

It ain't fancy, there's no place to sit and it isn't really close to anything, but it's some of the best ice cream you'll ever eat. Our whole family loves ice cream, and we make a point of tracking down the best ice cream in any city. Mitchell's is by far the best ice cream in SF. It's been around forever and always has a line (be prepared to wait). We went regularly when we lived in SF and now stop by anytime we visit. The ice cream is rich and flavorful, and they have some really unique flavors. Be sure to try before you buy.

A hint to newbies: They use a number system, so step inside and grab a number as soon as you arrive.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

This was my 1st time here. The ice cream was great. I had a double kid's scoop - cantaloupe, & Mexican chocolate, and booth were good. The service was fast. They allowed me to try several flavors. The line was minimal, as opposed to Bi-Rite, which is too long. Most of their flavors are eggless.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Mitchell's ice cream
Context: Sunday night at 9pm on a drizzly night
Atmosphere: packed sidewalk and inside. Place is super small and you can barely squeeze in to look at the cases of frozen ice cream. We were number 32 and they were at number 11, so we waited almost an hour. Ypu take a number, then wait until they call it. Earlier in the evening we walked by about 6:30 and there was no line so maybe that's a better time to go.
Service: friendly, pleasant and efficient service once you get called
Ice cream: it was fine but nothing special. We had the peanut butter special and the chocolate chip. We also tried the mocha fudge. The two scoop was enough for two of us to share. I liked it but wouldn't wait in line for it.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I'm not sure if Mitchell's is the best ice cream in town, but it must be close, and that it's so clearly a neighborhood favorite puts it at the top of the list for me. We were able to walk to Mitchell's from our Noe Valley rental, so we didn't need to use the on-site parking (yes, you read that correctly, On-site parking!). Far too many flavors for just a 10 day visit, but we did our best. Give Mitchell's a try.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Love Mitchell's. I will say I am glad it is not local to me otherwise I would be there every night. Although we have no problem driving across the Bay Bridge into San Francisco just to get ice cream we don't do it too often. It is a treat when we do though....there is always a line out the door and people waiting. They have great flavors and the ice cream is creamy, smooth and flavors are top notch. I have not had a flavor I didn't like.