“Rowdy crowd, okay food”

Sudachi
Halifax, Canada
“Rowdy crowd, okay food”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The drink specials here seem amazing - which probably explains the raucous sounds coming from the back room. The service was fine, though certainly not outstanding. My food (tempura udon soup) was quite tasty, but my husband's dinner can only be explained as 'weird.' Basically udon noodles with a very spicy sauce and tonnes of cheese - like a pasta bake. Strange, but not bad.

• Visited April 2013

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Poor Service, Good Food”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The reviews I read should have told the story. I bought a Living Social coupon for $30 worth of food for only $15. That drew me in. The food was good, the service was HORRIBLE. There were only 6 people in this restaurant, including my party of 3. They were slow to seat us, so we seated ourselves. We had to flag the waitress down to order. We ordered appetizers that took over 35 minutes to serve, and that was only after we asked her where it was. The food came 10 minutes after that, did I mention there were only 3 other people in the restaurant? Horrible service, had a hard time getting our check. It's too bad, because the food was actually pretty good.

Visited June 2012
San Francisco, California
“Improvements: experienced sushi chefs”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Since my last review of the restaurant in 2008, I returned to see how much it has improved because the place is packed at Happy Hour every time I walk by Sudachi. Understandably the best value in the area is their happy hour menu for drinks. The sushi bar itself can now be seen in the front window. It's dimly lit in there; there's a big screen projection behind the sushi bar for the most popular sports event.

I ordered a couple of nigiri options (note: the menu calls these items "Small", but if you want "Sashimi" choose the "Large" option). The fish slices were generous and the rice didn't fall apart when it was handled. I ordered one avocado roll and it was quite substantial and the fresh avocado was ripe.

Staying with the simple items is advised. You get a heaping bowl of edamame for a side order. If you want something extravagant because that's just how you roll, you'll find that the menu has new items including the burrito item. This is a phenomenon that I haven't really tried, but has become popular. There's a place in the area of the Sheraton Palace Hotel called Sushirrito where the line is usually 20 people long out the door every day at lunch. Sudachi serves 9 different types of sushi burritos, plus 8 different types of quesadilla items.

They've also added 10 different burgers, all topped with American cheese. It seems like an odd combination to put American cheese on a tuna burger.

The frilly sushi rolls continue to sound annoying. For $19.50 you get a Crazy Roll with way too much mayo and over 7 fish items. It sounds way too sloppy to eat it. Each piece is the size of a tea sandwich.

Wait staff on a Thursday evening seemed efficient and on point. My order wasn't very complicated; I was ready to order when they came to me. The person answered honestly when I asked if ordering food to be delivered is a popular thing. Indeed, it is, but it takes a while. The person recommended pick-up for take out.

• Visited March 2012
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Made the mistake of a $20 Groupon at this establishment. The place was a real mess. Ordered a white wine, which arrived in a plastic glass. Ordered a cocktail which tasted vile. The food was a congealed conglomaration and hardly edible. The service was non existant with the waitress simply not interested

specialmonkey
“Sudachi - Amazing Sushi Lovely Decor Friendly Staff”
Reviewed April 9, 2009

I am perplexed as to why people are complaining about this restaurant, yes it was quiet when we went but it is on the edge of not so nice part of downtown and they are working very hard to make it popular it is obvious.

Firstly they open late, the one thing that drives me insane about American resturants is that they close at 8.30pm. I like to go in and relax for a few hours and drink and Sudachi is perfect for that. The decor is beautiful a mix of modern with authentic. You can sit on the floor or table in a booth and the staff are a group of lovely hard working young japenese. We went back the food was so good and I have eaten Sushi all up the west coast. Salmon Sashimi was perfect, Katsun Pork and asparagus apetizer. All reasonably priced and the wait was just right.

I have nothing bad to say about the restaurant and you are missing out if you listen to the other reviews. Yes quiet but since when do we complain about a restaurant without people bumping into you from all angles. GO AND CHECK IT OUT AND TURN AROUND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, BUT DO GO.

PERFECT FOR YOUNG ROMANTIC COUPLES - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED