“Decent for price.”
Review of Marina Motel

Marina Motel
Ranked #107 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was very iffy about this hotel because its called a motel. Hotels in this area were ridiculously expensive so I took a chance and booked it. I was sold when I read free parking in private garage. I arrived to the check in room and the gentleman was friendly and he had his daughter doing homework on the side. That gave me that family owned and operated feel. My room was the first one facing the street. The inside was clean and spacious. Two queen beds, two rooms and a fridge. Bathroom was updated. Bed was not the softest and it made noise. My only complaint was the smell of dog in my room. They do allow dogs at this hotel and that smell would not go away. I opened all the windows and sprayed my Girly body spray everywhere. My husband and son couldn't smell it after a while but my nose is sensitive. We only stayed 2 nights so I just dealt with it. The location is superb and I recommend to leave the car parked and walk or use the shuttles. Parking is expensive in SanFran. You can actually walk to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Room Tip: Street facing rooms are cheaper. The street noise didn't bother me, I actually enjoyed it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Marina Motel

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay in this hotel and it left a bad mark overall on our San Fran vacation. I read decent reviews about this place so decided to give it a try. Spoke to someone at the motel before booking to get tips on a quiet room, only to find out the room we were told to book because it was "quiet" was directly above the office and directly on Lombard Street! Upon check in, we were required to pay in full upfront for our stay (already had to put a one night deposit down to reserve). We were not given any info on the "buy one get one breakfast".

The room itself was small, pretty run down, but did offer a kitchenette, small couch, and full size bed with TV. In theory... All you need for a great stay! However...... We found hairs in the bathroom and overall things were dusty. They offered shampoo and a bar of soap...leaving a lot to be desired!

The bed itself was horrible... Very uncomfortable and slanted in to the middle... Like a dip. After a restless first night we contemplated trying to switch hotels.. But could not find anything reasonable that wasn't completely booked! We spent the next 2 nights listening to lots of loud traffic.... When a truck went over the road our room shook! At 7 am we awoke to noise in the office...overall a bad experience.

The icing on the cake--- we booked a shuttle to the airport and the woman told us it was a private shuttle. So we planned accordingly... Only to get on early this morning and find out we had 3 other stops.... Leaving us hard pressed for time! We felt jipped and taken advantage of!

The one major plus is the location.... Very close to lots of great bars restaurants and shops on Lombard, chestnut and union street. It also has a nice courtyard-- maybe other rooms would have been a different experience.

My advice-- look at other places along the same strip that are not directly on the highway. If you do stay here... Just make sure you get a room towards the back!

Lesson learned-- any place that makes you pay in full before seeing your room should be a warning sign!!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

My two children and I spent a night here and loved it! The room was clean and well stocked with supplies and the staff was very friendly and helpful. It is also within walking distance to some very cool shops, restaurants and theater. The Golden Gate Bridge is also just a short drive away.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Reasonably priced. Fabulous location. It's like having your own little apartment in San Francisco replete with kitchen. Best of all, you can park your car in the garage right below your room. What a find.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Booked courtyard room with full kitchen.
Quite room, great location close to bars and restaurants. Bus 30 can take to directly to downtown and shopping areas for 2$. 2 blocks away from marina and 10 minutes away from a park.

Room Tip: Non-courtyard rooms are facing a very busy road and can be noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a great family friendly hotel. The room was great for us and was very convenient to SF attractions. The staff was very friendly. The parking spots are a bit small but they were very accommodating in letting us park our mini van in the courtyard.

Be sure to get a room in the courtyard and you'll avoid the noise on the very busy Lombard St.

Lots of great local restaurants within walking distance on Chestnut. We felt quite comfortable walking the streets.

The 30 bus was easy to take to the Warf. We bought a one day clipper pass at the near by Walgreens. For $14 each we got unlimited bus, historical rail car, and cable car rides for the day. This is perfect for a young family who loves to ride. A great way to see SF.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We ended our week long journey up the coast from San Diego to San Francisco at the Marina Motel. It was easy to find as it is right off HWY 101. We had our own garage to park the car and we had a room over looking the courtyard. The room was small, but very clean. It had a frig and microwave. The furniture in the room is antique and the room had the smell of old damp wood. Not a pleasant smell when you first walked in. We kept the windows open for fresh air and quickly got used to the smell. It would be nice if they tried to use some room fresheners to help the smell. I prefer a room that smells good. However, it was a nice place to stay and about a mile walk to Fisherman's Pier. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple