“Can't believe the room description !” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marina Motel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Marina Motel
Ranked #90 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Can't believe the room description !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

So the description said "overlooking the courtyard" but it is facing the very noisy street! Oh if you want towels on Thursday you have to come get them -- no maid service! Oh, you can have a nicer location but you'll have to pay... Double ! It's late, we're too tired to fight them, but....

• Stayed November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank highway-blues
InnkeeperHeidi, Manager at Marina Motel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you were not pleased with your room, you choose that room based on the decription and sale price you have from Booking.com. The descriptions of rooms are designed and written by Booking.com to appeal internationally and translate in all languages. You choose the suite which has a private bedroom overlooking the courtyard and a front livingroom/kitchen overlooking the street. THIS WAS AN UPGRADE, BUT WE ARE HONEST WITH OUR GUEST AND TELL THEM THAT THE STREET ROOMS IN ALL OF SAN FRANCISCO ARE SUBJECT TO TRAFFIC NOISE. rOOM SIN THE COURTYARD ARE HIGHER AND CLEARLY LABLED SO YOU CAN MAKE A PERSONAL CHOICE.

As for you misleading comment to future gets about no service on thursday, we politely informed all our guest that due to the Thanksgiving Holidays, we would have limited service, that unless you requested it from the front office we would not be disturbing those guest staying for the holidays and possiably having dinner in.

Once again, I ap[ologize if you misunderstood, next time ask front desk they may be able to assist you with greivances before you write a review. However we are 100% full most night and have limited room changes available.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed here before during the summer and it is a perfect location if your around the Marina area in SF. The room is quite cozy and comfy.
However, for this second stay we were awaken at 5:50AM with this shrieking noise coming from the door. Once we turned on the lights we noticed the noise was coming from the heater, we called the front desk and she told us that it would stop in 5-10 minutes and it was due to the hot and cold water equalizing. Well, it shrieked for another 30 minutes, we continued to call the front desk at least 7 times to ask additional questions but nobody answered at the front desk. We gave up and decided to drive home at 6:50AM because the shrieking hadn't stopped. We even knocked on the front desk door to no avail, nobody answered. Overall, dissatisfied with our stay. We will only be staying here in the summer when we wont need the heater and will never check in during the winter.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Traveler360x
Yonkers
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I need to say at the outset that I didn't actually stay here. When I called to cancel, due to illness ( they don't take email cancellations ), I was dealt with by a passive aggressive young lady who accused me of being 'rude' because I was calling on a bad line from the uk ( as I explained), and who took great offence at being asked her name 'for the third time' ( I wasn't counting, tho she clearly was)., despite my explaining that I simply couldn't hear her well. She refused to repeat her name and also became annoyed when I repeated the cancellation number to her to ensure I had written it down correctly. As I said, I didn't stay here and the rest of the staff may be charming, but beware the 'front desk'!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Carole M
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was a very nice motel, I traveled with my dogs. It was within in walking distance of some great restaurants, Palace of Fine Arts/Exploritorium and the Marina. We were also near a dog friendly beach. We did have problems with the bathroom door, as that the handle kept falling off, the room was cold, but there was an extra blanket in the closet to use, of which we also had brought our own. The flowers in the courtyard were great, they had a very great smell which greeted us everytime we walked back to the courtyard. The garages are small but if you're careful you can fit a small suv. The lobby had maps of the area and the staff were very nice and informative when we asked questions. Would stay again if ever visit again with my dogs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ojai, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I feel bad for Barb496...felt like they could've given them a break. However, it does state it all over their policies, why they have their policies, etc.

What's really a shame is that this place is a gem. It's in the marina district, close to restaurants, shops, etc. the rooms are comfy and the convenience of a kitchen is fantastic!

I took previous reviewers recommendations and requested a room away from Lombard st, the traffic noise was barely noticeable.

Love the free parking and the beautiful courtyard. Will definitely stay here again.

My only wish? An in-room safe.

Room Tip: Not on Lombard st.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Delran, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights with our 2 children. We had a unit that had a small kitchen, bedroom and living room. Very clean as comfortable. We were towards the back of the property and it was very quiet. The courtyard area is quaint, full if flowers and parking under the units. It was a great stay.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GNGfromNJ
Osburn, Idaho, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

We spent one weeknight in Marina Motel in early November. Both my partner and I were very impressed with the property, staff, and accommodations. The free, individual stall garage parking was a unique perk compared to many other hotels in the city that only had $30-$40 per night parking lots or no private parking at all. Although we had read reviews that recommended not leaving your spot later in the evening, we saw plenty of open garages when we returned from dinner. This may be different on weekends. The room we were in was very small, but as a couple traveling light for an extended weekend, it was just the right size. If you tend to be a traveler that packs more than a couple of small carry-ons, I recommend requesting a larger room. We loved the more personal and homey feel of the room with pretty brocade bedding and windows that opened up for some fresh air. Both the room and the bathroom were charming with a retro feel. The only problem with the bathroom is that the shower stall was very dark. There was only one light in the bathroom and the stall style shower's curtain blocked most of that light, even during the day. I did see some other guests checking in to rooms next to us but surprisingly, I never heard any of them. I'm not sure what prevented the sound from traveling, but I didn't hear anyone walking to or from rooms, watching TV, or talking in other rooms. The staff was welcoming, warm, and helpful. I went straight to the front desk to ask how to get to Chinatown on mass transit. The person on duty had an immediate answer and drew the directions on a map of the city. I was really happy to find out that one of the main bus lines runs just one block away from the hotel and took us directly to Chinatown. You can easily walk to the Palace of Fine Arts and there are plenty of eateries within walking distance. The grounds were very pretty, with lots of bougainvillea hanging from the buildings. Once you come in off of the street, it feels like a different world. We stayed in a room right in the middle of the property and it was really quiet. I did notice that any rooms on the Lombard St. side would probably be pretty noisy. Overall we have no real complaints about the stay and we really enjoyed it. We're already talking about our next trip to the area and would love to stay at Marina Motel again.

Room Tip: Units on street side are probably noisy; rooms on the interior of the property are very quiet. If yo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple