“True love”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Garcon

Garcon
Reserve with OpenTable
Garcon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #721 of 5,641 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Mission District
Cross street: 22nd Street
San Francisco, California
“True love”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

We live in the Bay Area where great food experiences are not just encouraged, they are expected. When it comes to restaurants, we are serial daters committed to the free-love food culture. That said, I was stunned to find that Garcon had somehow wiggled its way into my heart. We are in a committed relationship (and true to French heritage, he tolerates that I still sleep around a bit on the other side of town.)

Before I get all misty eyed, let me recount why I love Garcon. The setting: small and intimate, it feels exclusive and authentic. The bar: stellar cocktails and the best people-mingling this side of New York. The service: efficient, knowledgable, and reminiscent of the best professional waiters in France. (Yes, that's a compliment.) And the food. Oh, the FOOD!

We have never had a bad meal here. They have accommodated every request with pleasure. Gluten-free? No problem. Dairy intolerant? No problem. Egg allergy? No problem. And with all those restrictions, they didn't just deliver a bland plate of vegetables and rice. Oh, no. Every plateful was rich and wonderful and laced with seductive flavor. I am salivating over the memories. Scallops. Duck. Creme brulee. Oh my!

As I finish this review, I hope and pray that Garcon continues to deliver like this forever. Please Garcon, don't ever change. While I can't offer marriage, I really do want and need a stable restaurant relationship in San Francisco.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank TheMcNomads

Concord, California
“A great french bistro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

Service and food were outstanding. Our Server, Charles from the Channel Islands, was very accommodating and knowledgeable about the food and wine. He helped us make an excellent selection of a Bordeaux. We liked all of the food we ordered including appetizers of Duck Liver Pate and Squid Ink Risotto with sauteed lobster (wonderful).
Entrees consisted of Molasses Brined Pork Tenderloin served with White Cheddar grits and the 38 North Duck plate (seared breast, leg confit). Both were excellent. We had two unusual desserts which we also loved - Cherry Beer Malt (malted gelato, cherry compote, Lambic cheery ale and cherry pie served in an ice cream sundae dish - whats not to like?) and the Dulce de Leche and Green Apple sundae. There is both an excellent cocktail list and a great wine list. Ambience is very nice with the main dining room with windows on two streets being a better choice than the darker back room. We were checked on by the owner-chef from New Orleans who has had experience there and in California Wine country. All-in-all, a very nice experience.

• Visited August 2012
San Francisco, California
“Fabulous dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

What a great meal! We had a squid risotto that was to die for...the sweetest scallops I have ever had and an heirloom tomato salad that tasted like they had just been picked. We were there on a Tuesday, which was “no corkage fee” night...,a deal. Great neighborhood spot. We had a window table and could watch the action on the street....Attentive wait staff.....will come back!

• Visited September 2012
Asheville, North Carolina
“Excellent Flavors, attitude a bit much”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

The food was excellent--but be prepared for a hipster vibe and the attending attitude along with your dinner...

Visited August 2012
1 Thank glennkc
Nashville, Tennessee
“Amazing French Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Ended up here by accident and luckily they had a table, but we were glad we did. One of the best meals I have had in a while, great raw oysters, delicious preparation of French classics (coq au vin). Very friendly and helpful staff. Would definitely go back next time I am in SF.