“A very comfortable hotel in a great location with a friendly staff.”

The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #46 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 14, 2010

I stayed at the Monaco alone for four nights on business. The location is great just a block or two from Union Square. The room was modest in size but with a very comfortable queeen bed a functional working desk. The view unfortunately was of an air shaft. Staff were extremely friendly. The Kimpton wine reception every evening from 5-6PM made one feel very much at home and was a chance to meet some fellow guests for a solo traveler. The bar was very lively every night and served a great bar menu. I was a very comfortable place to eat for a solo traveler. There was a nice exercise facility and mini spa with a very large hot tub, steam room and sauna. Massage and other spa services were available.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel

Reviewed May 13, 2010

In town on business for one night, I chose this hotel based on TA reviews and decent rate for downtown SF (~$200 incl tax). It was my first stay but the hotel is classic Kimpton--cozy boutique. I called the hotel earlier in the day to make a late minute reservation and to see if they would match a slightly lower rate I found on a travel booking website. They matched it, no problem. When I pulled up in a taxi the doorman immediately came over to open the door and get my luggage from the trunk. Front desk service was friendly and efficient. The receptionist informed me that the wine reception would start in an hour but unfortunately I couldn't attend. I asked for a quiet room and got one on the top (seventh) floor facing inward, so absolutely no street noise. Free wifi and iPod player in the room. There was no coffee maker in the room which is unusual these days but in the morning they have free coffee and tea in the lobby along with all the major newspapers. Decent fitness room with two treadmills, etc. and they offer some spa services, like massage.

The only issue I had is that the room was quite small. I had a room with a queen canopy bed which as their website description says is 200 sq ft. (The bed would have been quite romantic for a couple but unfortunately I was traveling solo.) They list the square footage of all the rooms on their website which is good info to have--so I was forewarned. The canopy bed took up about half the floor space. There was also room for a night table, desk, lounge chair and the cabinet with TV and minibar. The canopy bed has some cushions and wall lighting and can double as a sofa. Since I was alone and wasn't in the room very much I didn't care about the size but it would be uncomfortable with more than two people in my opinion.

I liked the hotel a lot and thought the service was outstanding. I would return but only if I'm traveling by myself given the room size.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jack783
Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed a long weekend, visiting our daughter at city college. Wonderful, comfortable and attractive room.
We had an issue at checkout-the bellman broke the handle of the liftgate of our car, quite by accident, the result of his enthusiasm!
The manager, Mr. James Creer, helped us fill out a short form, and contacted us personally to insure all went well. We were very pleased, and hope to stay again soon at the Hotel Monaco. The restaurant was a memorable experience, too.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2010

We stayed here for three nights. Location is convenient (five minute walk to Union Square). The "Deluxe King Size" room was still small and the bed seemed smaller than king size, but everything was very, very clean and well-maintained and the mattress was super comfortable and pillows were great quality as were rest of the furnishings and amenities.... though we did wonder a little at the use of belts as decorations over the bed. The hotel itself was Kimpton at its best. Oliver the golden retriever who welcomes guests as you walk in; wine hour in the "living room" with a massage therapist from their in-house spa offering free 10-minute chair massages from 5 to 6 pm; boarding pass service (fill out the card in the room, drop it at the front desk and they'll print any airline boarding pass for you and deliver to your room); wonderfully upbeat and helpful staff (gracias, Eddie!) who seemed to genuinely want to help make your stay enjoyable (giving us cards for free glasses of wine in the hotel restaurant if we missed the wine hour -- or if we didn't); terrific restaurant recommendations (ask for the list of staff favorites); and a nice vibe all around. Would love to return!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2010

We spent our 5 yr anniversary at the Hotel Monaco. It was very clean and the service was great. We were upgraded to a suite upon arrival and received a bottle of champagne in our room the night of our anniversary. I LOVED the bedding. It was super comfortable after a long day of walking. I had to buy goose down pillows after staying there. I probably would not stay there again based on all the walking we had to do. I would prefer to stay closer to the action. There is a great Italian restaurant one street up. Also, the view from the Cheesecake Factory on the rooftop of Macy's was a nice treat. I liked the atmosphere there as well. We ate at the Cliffhouse restaurant for our anniversary. I would highly recommend it. It sits overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the view at sunset is a memory I will cherish forever.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mana23
Reviewed May 5, 2010

The hotel is 2 blocks from Union Square where some of the hop on hop off tours start. If you can get a rate including breakfast then well worth it as breakfast is a relaxed event and a great way to start the day in san francisco. The evening drinks are also a nice touch

If you have any questions or need anything then the staff are only too happy to help.

The only downside is the size of the hotel room but at the right rate the location is right and the hotel homely

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2010

My husband and I stayed here in a Junior Suite for our 5 year wedding anniversary and can't say enough great things about this hotel! We got to San Fran early and they kept our bags for us while we toured around. We were SHOCKED at the gorgeous lobby!! When we did check at 3:00 p.m. we were again SHOCKED at the beautifully decorated rooms and to our surprise we were met with a bottle of champagne and truffles!! The room was bigger than we thought it was and noone really says this on the reviews or the website, but the suite has these great window seats that we lounged in overlooking the streets/view of San Fran. The bed is super comfortable and the hotel is located amongst EVERYTHING! We walked or took $5-$8 cabs everywhere. The Grand Cafe next door is also one of the best brunches we have ever had. My husband is a chef and is very picky - but he loved the food! Great Great Great place to stay and we will be back!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple