The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$267
$491
$194
Agoda.com
  • Pool
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$228
$195
InterContinental
  • Room Service
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
$269
$259
ComfortInn
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$240
$179
  • Restaurant
Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$257
$229
  • Restaurant
Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$200
$158
$269
Travelocity
$408
Hotelpower.com
2,996 results
All reviewshotel monacowine hourunion squarekimpton hotelsliving roomgeary streettenderloinwine receptioncomplimentary winejunior suitemini barfew blockseach eveningfree coffeehomeless peoplelocation is greatrooms are small
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 26, 2005

Briefly returning to my old workplace, I chose the Hotel Monaco b/c it was close to my destination and ranked well here at tripadvisor. Although I was skeptical of the surrounding neighborhood at first, I was not disappointed at all. People traveling for pleasure could easily hop in a cab to nearby Union Square, etc.

The room was clean and had nice amenities (e.g. the Wega TV, mini stereo, cordless phone, and 4 poster bed). The bed was quite comfortable, and I did not notice any noise from other rooms or the floor above. The entire hotel's colorfully-themed wallpapers and decorations gave it a very youthful and lively feeling. Much better than your run of the mill, depressing mid-level hotels (check the hotel's website for photos). Staff was friendly, and the valet parking wasn't cheap but was convenient.

Thanks go to the previous reviewers who instilled my confidence in picking Hotel Monaco. I definitely enjoyed my time there, and it was a very pleasant experience overall. While I would recommend it to other travelers, I did not pay for the room myself, so I can't say how much of a bargain it is.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank Joseph P
Reviewed November 10, 2005

This hotel deserves praise for trying to be whimsical and unique compared to many "cookie-cutter" hotels. We stayed here for a friend's wedding, and were part of a "block" of reserved discounted rooms.

The deluxe queen on the 4th floor had a comfortable bed, and was well furnished. The stereo is a nice touch. We had a view over the dumpsters, but we expected as much since we were not paying for a suite. Still, the light was good. The only downside was the smell of cigarette smoke coming from the heating vents. It bothered us minimally since we weren't in the room much, but upon our return, we thought housekeeping had been smoking in our room. We realized it was a problem with the hvac system when the smell became worse when we turned on the heat.

The service is friendly, but not overly so. Concierge offered excellent recommendations for all meals. The front desk and bell staff were very accomodating to all of our requests, except that they forgot the goldfish we had requested.

Stayed: November 2005
10  Thank TECN
Reviewed October 4, 2005

Just spent 3 nights at Monaco. Asked for a quiet room, and this is the quietest room near Union Square we've ever had. Comfortable king bed with down comforter and feather pillows. European size rooms, but a very comfortable place to park at a reasonable price in the downtown SF area. Evening wine and cheese a nice touch; morning paper delivered to the room. In room coffee maker with Starbucks coffee packets. They offer a AAA discounted rate.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
9  Thank FromTheStrait
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 30, 2005

We stayed at this hotel after booking direct under their 'Hot Dates, Great Rates' offer which made it an absolute bargain. It's in a great location for Union Square and the cable cars, although it's quite close to the slightly rougher Tenderlion area. The hotel staff were very helpful and we managed to enjoy the complimentary wine/cheese/cookies most days. The room was comfortable, not quite luxurious. We didn't eat in the restaurant and just had room service breakfast on one day, which was excellent if pricey. Overall, it was an ideal base for a fantastic 5 night stay in San Francisco.

• Stayed: September 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Glasgow Scotland
Reviewed September 22, 2005

We stayed for four nights whilst touring California. It was a lovely hotel. the suite was rather luxurious.
I agree that the area was a bit scary but this did not detract from a lovely stay in San Fransisco
We met some very nice people when enjoying wine and cheese
I would return