“Great Location”

The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #47 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 6, 2005

After reviewing several smaller properties in San Francisco, we decided upn the Monaco. We had a great time, my wife and two teen children. The doorman, reservations staff excellent and accommodating. Wine & Cheese plus a massage lady every evening. Spa was terrific, sauna, steam, jacuzzi well appointed and very clean. We had a great room/suite called the "Grace Slick" suite. A king bed to die for. The kids slept on a pull out sofa that was in need of a new mattress. Bathroom, jacuzzi tub plus amenities excellent as well as coffee and daily newspaper. Turndown plus the chocolates, nice touch! Very quite and super fast elevators for a small property. Had room service one evening. Had a basic pizza and a piece of the special banana cream pie was beyond marvelous, just great food..especially from room service. Easy TV checkout, got our car quickly (stiff parking tarrif $35/night), but very convenient coming and going. 2 blocks to Union Square, great shopping and eateries, cable car, etc. Will be coming back on a regular basis.

• Stayed: December 2004
10  Thank Don0945

Reviewed January 4, 2005

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco from December 28th through New Years Day. The location of Hotel itself is great, just a few blocks from Union Square. The Hotel is decorated beautifully and is very cozy. There are several fireplaces in the lobby with couches and armchairs which is really nice after a day of sightseeing, and of course the wine and cheese from 5-6 pm is nice. The service is excellent. Any question or request I had was handled immediately. For example, I had read so much about the goldfish I requested one when I made my reservation. Upon check in, I noticed there was no goldfish in the room. I inquired of the front desk after returning from dinner and was advised that they were waiting for some to come in. Within 1 minute of reaching our room, "Pee-Wee" was delivered to our children's delight. We stayed in a double double which consisted of two double beds, a nice bay window, mini-bar, 2 armchairs. Small but enough room for 2 adults 2 children and an infant (we even fit a crib inbetween the two beds).The bathroom/shower was immaculate, and the towels were thick and fluffy, the beds/linens luxurious and comfortable. All in all, we had a great time and would definitely stay at the Hotel Monaco next time we are in town. The only downside was at check in when the concierge wanted to authorize the entire stay on my credit card, about $900.00. When I balked, she agreed to put a hold on only 2 days of charges on the card.

• Stayed: January 2005
2  Thank GregK
Reviewed December 16, 2004

The Monaco is the best of both worlds: a very clean, modern, hip, well-run hotel with modern "business" touches such as the free wireless internet connectivity in the rooms that intersects with the charm , beauty, friendliness, and individual caring of an old world luxury hotel. And these are not the words of someone who only stayed there a couple of nights, I had plenty of time to observe them. Originally I was supposed to stay at the Hotel Monaco for only 4 nights but on my last day in San Francisco I fractured my leg and needed to have surgery. My surgeon told me I could not fly for 3 weeks after surgery, so I stayed at the Hotel Monaco for 4 weeks. During the course of my stay, I stayed in 3 different rooms and was able to observe almost all the staff. There are not enough words to describe how wonderful the hotel and the staff are. A kinder group of people you cannot imagine. They went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable and I ended up writing a long letter to the President of Kimpton hotels to tell him what an amazing staff they have there. Without fail they were all terrific. As to the rooms, I've read a few comments about dusty rooms. I can say honestly that while recovering from reconstructive surgery on my leg, I spent a great deal of time on my back in 3 different rooms there and they were all spotless. I was generally in the room while housekeeping was there, but whether I was there or not, the room was always clean, fresh and tidy. The decor of the rooms is bright, cheerful and charming. My first room was one of their tiny rooms, the smallest they have but it was so well-appointed, romantic and luxurious that I didn't care. After I broke my leg, they moved me to a handicapped room and then when someone was able to join me to help take care of me they moved me to a handicapped junior suite. These rooms are a bit bigger but they faced Geary Street which can be a bit noisy with ambulances and firetrucks at night. Don't let this put you off, any hotel in downtown SF will have the same issue, I put in ear plugs and had no more problems, or you can just ask for a quiet room not on Geary street. My first room was in the back and for my first four nights there was no noise at all. If you are in a wheelchair, make sure to specify you want a roll in shower as one of the handicapped rooms had it but the junior handicapped suite did not. The bathrooms are goregous. Such a well-run hotel. Oh, the first day I checked in, I asked for a goldfish. They sent one up in a fishbowl and that little guy turned out to be my companion for the next 4 weeks. It's a great touch from a hotel full of great touches. My friends have asked me when I come back to San Francisco if I'd stay there again considering all of the pain and trauma I went through. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

6  Thank mauikristin
A TripAdvisor Member
Ashburn, VA
Reviewed December 16, 2004

Our Reservation at the San Francisco Monaco was from December 13 thru 18. We made the reservations after reading the glowing reviews on tripadvisor.

On the 4th night of our stay, we heard loud music in our 3rd floor room and complained to the front-desk at 9:30PM and at 10:30PM. They told us that there was a party in some part of the hotel which they had no control over. They offerred to move us to two seperate rooms and split the cost, but they couldn't get the music reduced. Not only that, they alleged that we were the only people complaining about the music!

This is the first time I have ever stayed in a 4 star hotel where the music travels all the way from the lower level to three floors up. Not only did I get a terrible head-ache, but I also ended-up with a bad night of sleep before an important client presentation the next day. A very bad experience for any business traveller.

I definetly won't stay at ANY monaco ever again.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 15, 2004

I have stayed at the Monaco everytime I travel to San Francisco for business. No more.

The rooms are in need of major help - dirty, dusty canopies - mine even was torn! Worse yet, the staff used to be so warm & welcoming - during this last visit it was as if they didn't want to be there either. I encountered cold & impersonal service at every turn. Too bad, this was a great hotel even a year ago.

There are too many options in San Francisco to stay at a hotel past its prime.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
15  Thank vlady777
Reviewed November 21, 2004

the Monaco is our ONLY hotel in San Francisco. The concierge staff is amazing and helpful. The front desk is excellent. Our room attendant the her staff were the best ever. Not to mention the gorgeous decor of the place- from the street to the room to the tiny and wonderful extras that were everywhere you looked. We refer everyone to it, and will never book a flight to the bay without booking a room! Thank You Monaco Hotel!

• Stayed: October 2004
2  Thank DanielRonfeld
Reviewed November 12, 2004

If you're looking for an intimate hotel experience, this is the place for you. The rooms are not large but elegantly decorated with rich colors and quality linens. We got two rooms, each with a canopy bed and faced the inner "courtyard", across which you could easliy see your neighbors' activities if you left the shades open. The rooms were quiet and beds very comfortable, and the staff is exceptionally helpful and pleasant. The evening snack hour provided unimpressive, stingy hor'dorves, and the "complimentary" massage turned out to require a mandatory $10 tip for 5 minutes of service.

I've stayed at many Hotel Monaco hotels before and I've always had a great experience. This time was no exeption. I wouldn't mind staying here again next time I come back.

2  Thank FollowThatBug