“THIS is how you do it!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Watertown, Massachusetts
“THIS is how you do it!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I arrived here from a longer then usual flight from Boston bleary eyed, tired and hungry. I was greeted at my cab by the nicest guy named Eddie. Just as sweet and gracious as can be. Then on to walking in and meeting James, who is the floor manager. What a gem. Lauren behind the front desk (I'll get to that in a sec), Daniel who was with her, Benji, who helped me with my bags, and Wilfredo who served me lunch.

So, here I am, bone tired, and Lauren, the lovely front desk person, said "your room is ready, but if you don't mind waiting and allow us to spoil you, it will just be a little longer" What? YES! WOW. Who does that? Well, they do!! So, I dragged myself into the their bar/dining room, The Grand Cafe Brassierie and Bar, and Wilfredo whisked over some delicious sour dough bread, set me up immediately with a menu and recommended and delivered the most delicious Tuna Nicoise salad. OMG fresh. Then, I moved back out to the lobby, where Benji brought me a pillow to put behind my head and back so I would be comfortable while I waited for the room that they upgraded me at for no reason, just cause and for no extra cost. Benji then comes over to hand me a gift card for two free cocktails at the bar during my stay. Then Daniel not only announces in way less time then it should have taken, in the sweetest voice with the nicest smile, "your room is ready. may we take you there now". Now comes James again, who whisked my bags up and gave me a list of every wonderful amenity that this awesome hotel offers. (Daniel, did you think I wouldn't sparkle when you reminded me of complimentary wine hour from 5-6).

I have stayed in a lot of hotels, for business and pleasure and this is hands down the most unreal, unbelievable, incredible, phenomenal service I have ever, EVER received.

Oh, and the room I'm in is just freaking gorgeous!

My new go to place as I'll be visiting San Francisco more often!!

You guys ROCK!!! Pinch me. I'm dreaming. Swoon!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank Leslie S
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Leslie S,
We know that our guests sometimes have to go through a lot even before they get to us. Long flights. Uncomfortable airplane seats. Traffic. Delays. So, when you get to us, we want to help you relax and forget all of the negative things. We aren’t always able to do this, but we try. We can’t wait to have you come back and stay with us. I just hope we haven’t set your expectations too high.
Jason

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed July 22, 2014

The Monaco was a great place to stay. Staff is friendly and helpful-as mentioned in other reviews-great fast elevators. We loved having the goldfish in the room. The fridge was crammed with expensive mini-bar items and we did have to move everything around carefully to put in some drinks we bought at the Walgreens across the street. The restaurant looked good, but too expensive for us. I thought they had a breakfast, but it was only coffee-good coffee, though. Nice evening reception for wine drinkers. Lots of good restaurants and shops to walk to.

Room Tip: Don't expect breakfast-and the evening reception is wine only.
Green Features: Great-we appreciated it. Very nice to have recycling available.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank PennyMy
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear PennyMy,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Please know we are happy to empty the minibar/minifridge for you, if you would like to store your own items in there. No need to move everything around. And we always have a non-alcoholic beverage available at the hosted manager’s wine reception. Sadly, our restaurant of almost 20 years is closing at the end of this month. But, we will be excited to open something new and exciting in 2015.
NW US
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Just returned from a family trip to San Francisco. This hotel could not have been more perfect. The lobby and main areas are lovely. The room was beautiful, large, and perfect for our family of four. We arrived several hours before check-in with the expectation of asking the front desk to hold our bags, but our room was already ready for us. I booked this room directly through the Kimpton website and paid less for this gorgeous suite than what was advertised anywhere for a double room, using Kimpton's "Stretch the Weekend" rate. Our suite was gorgeous and we had a great city view out of the two large windows with window seats. I can't say enough about how much we loved the style/decor of this hotel and the room. The location of this hotel is absolutely perfect. It is two blocks away from the center of everything, but not up the hill toward many of the union square hotels in which uphill walking would be necessary every time you came back from an outing. Those two blocks that you will walk toward the hotel from union square felt absolutely safe, even late at night with our family, because there were plenty of people out and about at all times. There are a few very interesting small art galleries along those two blocks, which were fun to check out along the way. Lots of shopping and restaurants are nearby. Cable cars, buses, and BART are accessible within a 5-10 minute walk. Everyone we encountered at the hotel were friendly and professional. The wine hour was fun and we actually were surprised to time ourselves accordingly to participate a couple of times. We had a fantastic time in this beautiful and unique city and already have decided we will need to plan a future trip.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank summerinplaya
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Close to Union Square and Market, this is nice hotel with the typical Kimpton amenities that make a business trip that much more comfortable. Staff was super friendly and my room was perfect--eclectic and cute, but not too over the top. Common areas were nice, and I even managed to make it to the complimentary wine hour with one of my coworkers, which was great.

Not so great was the hotel restaurant--we had a rather sub-par lunch there. But there are tons of restaurants around, so don't let that be a deterrent to your stay--just utilize the concierge.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank TravelerZLosAngeles
Dear TravelerZLosAngeles,

I am sorry to hear about your experience in the restaurant. That is definitely not what we intended. We will be closing our restaurant at the end of this month. After almost 20 years of service, it is time for a change. Look for more information at the end of this year.
Melbourne
Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is a nice place. A big bed in a designer decorated two-room suite makes for a good stay in a city. The friendly and helpful staff and great location close to Union Square Park, theatres and shopping, and great access to public transport, including street cars, cable cars and BART makes things even easier.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank IntercontinentalOz
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear IntercontinentalOz,
And we would happily have you as a return guest. Thank you for the compliments and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.
denver
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at The Hotel Monaco on a recent business trip. The staff first accommodated my online request of a high floor, quiet room and acknowledged this when I checked in (thats a first in all of my travels). The room was nice, there is a fridge (only with there was a microwave to heat coffee) and the internet service was excellent. Starbucks is not even a block away and there is a Walgreens across the street (open from 9-12 I think). The hotel is only 2 blocks from Union Square which makes it super convenient to everything in the heart of the city. The staff was very nice and helpful (they recommended the best pizza I have had in San Francisco) and had a town car service for a ride back to the airport. I would highly recommend taking BART and getting off at the Powell Street stop where its only a 5-10 minute walk and much cheaper than a cab. I would give the hotel 4.5 stars if you could give this rating and would stay here when I come back to SF.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank hpd3
Dear hpd3,
I wish they would let you give us 4.5 stars, too.
I am happy to hear we acknowledged all of your preferences. We aren’t always able to accommodate all requests, but it sounds like we were able to this time.
We hope to see you on a future trip.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We decided to stay at hotel Monaco for our 1 year wedding anniversary. We arrived around noon and they had a room ready for us! When we got to our room we were surprised at the size of the room. It was a little on the smaller size but we knew we wouldn't be in the room much anyway so we were fine with it. The staff was very helpful with giving us suggestions on how to get around the city and we enjoyed the amenities such at the hot tub in the spa area and the wine hour. We did have a car and paid the $52 fee plus taxes for 3 nights- we did know that because the concierge told us as we were arriving but now in hindsight I think i should have asked if he had other recommendations since there are a bunch of parking garages nearby but I didnt. Overall the hotel was great. We will definitely stay here again if ever in San Fran. 1 tip- when leaving the hotel make a right and walk 2 blocks to union square.

Room Tip: Sign up for Kimpton rewards and note that your preferences.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MGLK
Dear MGLK,
I am glad you spent most of your time exploring the city and not in your room. While we would have loved to have in the hotel more, we think San Francisco is an amazing city. Please know we are always happy to provide alternative recommendations for parking. We know our valet parking can appear expensive and we can offer other options.