WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne
“I'd happily return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is a nice place. A big bed in a designer decorated two-room suite makes for a good stay in a city. The friendly and helpful staff and great location close to Union Square Park, theatres and shopping, and great access to public transport, including street cars, cable cars and BART makes things even easier.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank IntercontinentalOz
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear IntercontinentalOz,
And we would happily have you as a return guest. Thank you for the compliments and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.
Jason

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at The Hotel Monaco on a recent business trip. The staff first accommodated my online request of a high floor, quiet room and acknowledged this when I checked in (thats a first in all of my travels). The room was nice, there is a fridge (only with there was a microwave to heat coffee) and the internet service was excellent. Starbucks is not even a block away and there is a Walgreens across the street (open from 9-12 I think). The hotel is only 2 blocks from Union Square which makes it super convenient to everything in the heart of the city. The staff was very nice and helpful (they recommended the best pizza I have had in San Francisco) and had a town car service for a ride back to the airport. I would highly recommend taking BART and getting off at the Powell Street stop where its only a 5-10 minute walk and much cheaper than a cab. I would give the hotel 4.5 stars if you could give this rating and would stay here when I come back to SF.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank hpd3
Dear hpd3,
I wish they would let you give us 4.5 stars, too.
I am happy to hear we acknowledged all of your preferences. We aren’t always able to accommodate all requests, but it sounds like we were able to this time.
We hope to see you on a future trip.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

We decided to stay at hotel Monaco for our 1 year wedding anniversary. We arrived around noon and they had a room ready for us! When we got to our room we were surprised at the size of the room. It was a little on the smaller size but we knew we wouldn't be in the room much anyway so we were fine with it. The staff was very helpful with giving us suggestions on how to get around the city and we enjoyed the amenities such at the hot tub in the spa area and the wine hour. We did have a car and paid the $52 fee plus taxes for 3 nights- we did know that because the concierge told us as we were arriving but now in hindsight I think i should have asked if he had other recommendations since there are a bunch of parking garages nearby but I didnt. Overall the hotel was great. We will definitely stay here again if ever in San Fran. 1 tip- when leaving the hotel make a right and walk 2 blocks to union square.

Room Tip: Sign up for Kimpton rewards and note that your preferences.
      Rooms
1 Thank MGLK
Dear MGLK,
I am glad you spent most of your time exploring the city and not in your room. While we would have loved to have in the hotel more, we think San Francisco is an amazing city. Please know we are always happy to provide alternative recommendations for parking. We know our valet parking can appear expensive and we can offer other options.
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

What a great experience from friendly check in, beautiful room,great staff and perfect location! I love Kimpton hotels but this one is my favorite. Daniel and Gabby at the front desk and I met Jason the GM he couldn't have been kinder! Live this place!!

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
1 Thank Manton52
Dear Manton52,
It was a pleasure to meet you, as well. And thank you for the kind words about Daniel and Gabbi. We are lucky to have them.
We hope to see you, again, soon.
ATL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night on our trip to Napa/Sonoma. I'm usually a Marriott or Starwood guy when it comes to name brand hotels, but figured I'd give the Hotel Monaco a try based on others' positive reviews. The price was right and the location is exactly where we wanted to be - just steps from Union Square. The hotel has the feel of a small boutique hotel with classy decor and nice finishings. The room was very comfortable. I mentioned that we were there to celebrate my wife's birthday and we were surprisingly greeted with a free suite upgrade, a bottle of champagne, and a hand-written "happy birthday" note. Everyone we encountered at the hotel was extremely pleasant and helpful! I've stayed in A LOT of hotels over the years, and it's refreshing to find a spot where the staff consistently appear positive and willing to go the extra step to make your stay a little better. From the bellman out front who gave us step by step directions to his recommended lunch spot, to Lauren at the front desk who printed out a list of recommended wineries and restaurants in downtown Senoma, the service was top notch. Coming from a regular platinum member at the other big chains, I plan to add Kimpton to my list going forward based on this experience alone! Thanks again for the great stay!

3 Thank ATL4NTA
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

I'm a big fan of the Kimpton chain and often stay in their hotels in other cities. So I was surprised at how average this felt. The location is pretty good, only a couple of blocks from Union Square and a fairly short walk to the Financial District and Market Street. But the check in was nothing special, and certainly not what I am used to at other Kimptons. The lobby area is decent with some nice seating areas, and of course the wine/cheese event every afternoon. My room was quiet and clean, but I wasn't thrilled with the furnishings, they were a little tired. The restaurant that is connected to the hotel was closed for renovations, which I wish someone had told me when my staff booked the hotel as we probably would have changed hotels. My wake up call the net morning was almost 15 minutes past due. The bathroom was at least decently sized and the towels were fluffy. But overall I found little here that set it apart from other hotels, and in fact my room felt a lot like a typical corporate hotel (Hyatt, Hilton, Sheraton) which of course is exactly why I usually choose Kimpton hotels in order to avoid that feeling. So, if you have other choices in the City consider them first, I probably won't return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank rossvesq
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear rossvesq,
Yikes. I don’t think anyone likes to be called average. And that is certainly not what we are striving for.
I am sorry to hear you were underwhelmed by your check in experience. And it sounds like our new remodel is not your taste or style.
I apologize for the miscommunication about the restaurant. It is not closed for renovation at this time. We are closing the restaurant at the end of this month and it will be closed for several months.
Thanks,
Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

Let's start with the good: adequate lighting and outlets, a refrigerator in the room, maintenance responded quickly. As Kimpton members, we received $10 to use at the bar and a Sunday NYT.

Now the not-so-good: ours was arguably the ugliest hotel room we've ever seen. One wall was red, one white, one navy, and one was red, white, navy, and gold wide stripes. The carpet had a gray-on-gray pattern. The bedding was comfortable but black and white. Did I mention the standing lamp with a silver swirl lampshade? And, according to the front desk, all the rooms have the same decor.

The shower liner wasn't vinyl but fabric, so every time someone showered, about a quart of water ended up on the floor. Ugh.

As Kimpton members, we had hoped to get a nice room. Our "quiet" room was adjacent to a gravel roof. Not exactly the view we had hoped for.

We mentioned the shower problem to the front desk, but the Monaco offered no apology other than a verbal one...not even a glass of wine on the house.

If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear a flower in your hair....and think twice about staying at the Monaco.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear RockCreekGirl,
I am sad to say that if you did not like the design and décor of your room, then you would not like any of our rooms. As the person at the front desk told you, all of our rooms look very similar. I know that design is a very personal thing. We were thrilled with the new design, but we know it isn’t for everyone.
I am not sure what happened with the shower liner in your room, but I will definitely follow up on that. We certainly do not want water all over the bathroom floor.
Thanks,