“Disappointingly average” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Disappointingly average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I'm a big fan of the Kimpton chain and often stay in their hotels in other cities. So I was surprised at how average this felt. The location is pretty good, only a couple of blocks from Union Square and a fairly short walk to the Financial District and Market Street. But the check in was nothing special, and certainly not what I am used to at other Kimptons. The lobby area is decent with some nice seating areas, and of course the wine/cheese event every afternoon. My room was quiet and clean, but I wasn't thrilled with the furnishings, they were a little tired. The restaurant that is connected to the hotel was closed for renovations, which I wish someone had told me when my staff booked the hotel as we probably would have changed hotels. My wake up call the net morning was almost 15 minutes past due. The bathroom was at least decently sized and the towels were fluffy. But overall I found little here that set it apart from other hotels, and in fact my room felt a lot like a typical corporate hotel (Hyatt, Hilton, Sheraton) which of course is exactly why I usually choose Kimpton hotels in order to avoid that feeling. So, if you have other choices in the City consider them first, I probably won't return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
      Cleanliness
1 Thank rossvesq
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear rossvesq,
Yikes. I don’t think anyone likes to be called average. And that is certainly not what we are striving for.
I am sorry to hear you were underwhelmed by your check in experience. And it sounds like our new remodel is not your taste or style.
I apologize for the miscommunication about the restaurant. It is not closed for renovation at this time. We are closing the restaurant at the end of this month and it will be closed for several months.
Jason

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Let's start with the good: adequate lighting and outlets, a refrigerator in the room, maintenance responded quickly. As Kimpton members, we received $10 to use at the bar and a Sunday NYT.

Now the not-so-good: ours was arguably the ugliest hotel room we've ever seen. One wall was red, one white, one navy, and one was red, white, navy, and gold wide stripes. The carpet had a gray-on-gray pattern. The bedding was comfortable but black and white. Did I mention the standing lamp with a silver swirl lampshade? And, according to the front desk, all the rooms have the same decor.

The shower liner wasn't vinyl but fabric, so every time someone showered, about a quart of water ended up on the floor. Ugh.

As Kimpton members, we had hoped to get a nice room. Our "quiet" room was adjacent to a gravel roof. Not exactly the view we had hoped for.

We mentioned the shower problem to the front desk, but the Monaco offered no apology other than a verbal one...not even a glass of wine on the house.

If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear a flower in your hair....and think twice about staying at the Monaco.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear RockCreekGirl,
I am sad to say that if you did not like the design and décor of your room, then you would not like any of our rooms. As the person at the front desk told you, all of our rooms look very similar. I know that design is a very personal thing. We were thrilled with the new design, but we know it isn’t for everyone.
I am not sure what happened with the shower liner in your room, but I will definitely follow up on that. We certainly do not want water all over the bathroom floor.
Fairfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My stay was very nice until checkout . I was given 2- 10.00 drink vouchers at the bar as a return guest rewards to be handed in at checkout. There were two of us staying 6 nights. Upon checkout I was informed only one voucher was valid. This is ridiculous to say that. Then oh it was an error , we should of only received 1 voucher well ok not my fault. Wine hour is cheap headache wine. Not searching out Kimpton hotels ever!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Hi Karen P,
I hope you received my e-mail earlier today. I just wanted to apologize for the miscommunication and I am sorry it had such a negative impact on your stay.
Carrboro, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The room was very nice. We asked for early checkin but it wasn't possible; however we were accommodated with late departure. The location felt more authentic than staying at union square, although the front desk warned us not to turn left upon exiting the hotel. I am normally sketched out easily and the area is fine during the day but their advice is solid for nighttime.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
      Location
1 Thank NCreviewer
Dear NCReviewer,
I am sorry we were not able to accommodate the early check in, but I am happy to hear we were able to assist with the late departure. We do our best.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We chose to stay at Hotel Monaco during our first visit to San Francisco and were not disappointed! The location was a close walk to Union Square which has many dining and shopping options and is also a cable car stop. joined the free rewards program and enjoyed the complimentary internet and raiding the mini bar! The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful: had our bags taken to the room while we returned our rental car, explained the cable car system, fully advised us of the hotel amenities, held our bags the final day we explored the city, arranged for hotel car to take us to the airport, and I'm sure I could go on. In particular, Johnathan at the front desk went out of his way to be hospitable and even sent fruit, water, and chocolate to our room with a sincere note welcoming us to the hotel and the city!! Our room had lots of character with the vibrant colors and wallpaper; much more exciting than your typical hotel decor! We had a room on the 7th floor that was on the inner side of the hotel (not the street) away from the elevator and had no noise issues. My husband and I would most definitely stay here again and will look for Kimpton Hotels in other cities too!

Room Tip: Upper floor, away from elevator
      Rooms
3 Thank Elizabeth A
Dear Elizabeth A,
Yay! I am so happy to hear you were able to experience some San Francisco hospitality done the Monaco way. It sounds like Johnathan really made a positive impression and that does not surprise me. We hope you will come back and see us, again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed here earlier this year for work and came back with my family for a visit over the July 4th holiday. The hotel is right by Union Square and was a great spot for our visits to the Exploratorium, the Cal Academy of Sciences, and the Embarcadero for the fireworks. The evening reception was always something to look forward to after a day on the town and there were plenty of good places to eat nearby. Special thanks to the Monaco team who did a very nice job with my kids and went out of their way to recognize one of my girls who was celebrating her birthday.

The junior suite provided was comfortable and offered ample space for my family. We were comfortable and will definitely consider a return visit if we're back in town.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, you'll want to avoid a room that is adjacent to the elevator. It...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
Dear zonk68,
I am so happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay. We are glad your daughter enjoyed her birthday with us and we hope she is now a Kimpton convert.
Bucharest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

5 min walk from Union Square, shopping heaven, transport hub and tourist attraction, you cannot choose a better location. The hotel is luxurious, rooms are good size and have everything you should desire. What I have to emphasize is the staff, exceptionally friendly, proactive and efficient. Practically no waiting time although the hotel is very busy. They also offer complimentary (and good quality) bicycles. They are also providing tea, lemonade, wine at happy hour, all these for free.
If you ask for something they do not have, they will get it for you. Next time in San Francisco I will definitely stay in the same hotel.

Room Tip: any room will do, if you are choosing one at the back should be quiter
Green Features: they make all efforts to be environment friendly; green bulbs, water saving facilities, linen reuse, etc
      Cleanliness