“Nice Hotel, Good Service!”

The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #48 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 29, 2008

My wife and I stayed up here recently as part of an executive offsite for my company. Upon check-in we were impressed by the atomosphere and style of the place. The room was small yet cozy and reminded me of the Hudson in NYC.

Since we were there on business, we had a snag getting one of our rooms available and the manager Jenny jumped right into action. She made one phone call and within 5 minutes we had the Tokyo board room set up with waters, napkins, etc. I was impressed.

We had dinner for 12 at the Grand Cafe that night. Plenty of good selection and interesting pairings available. They did close down the bar early so for you night-owls you may have to travel outside.

Overall good stay, cool place, nice people.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank TheWilliams2008
JRDecker, Front Desk Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2008

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your experience! We are always excited to celebrate our successes with our staff; thank you for giving us that opportunity! If your travels return you to San Francisco we hope that you will again choose Hotel Monaco. Upon your return, we invite you to dine with us again in a newly updated Grand Café to be unveiled on August 11th!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,874)

Reviewed July 29, 2008

My daughter & I just returned from a very nice, 2 night stay at the Hotel Monaco, San Francisco. If you're looking to visit S.F. and like hotels that offer style, comfort and wonderful service we would strongly recommend the Hotel Monaco.

The Hotel is located in the Theatre district just a short walk from the shops of Union Square. From the Hotel door it is walkable to just about every part of the city; but for non-walkers the cable cars, buses, and (relatively expensive) taxis are available right outside the door or just around the corner.

Our double room was not only stylish but clean, well-equipped, and spacious enough for 2 adults. The 2 double beds were as lovely to sleep in as they were to look at--with beautiful linens and ample, down pillows. The bath was pristine clean and very nicely outfitted with over-sized bath towels and courtesy robes with crazy tiger and zebra prints reflecting the very deco-style of the hotel itself.

We were celebrating a birthday and James, the excellent concierge, recommended and arranged a fantastic, fine and filling dinner at Scala's Bistro (see separate review for details.) Thank you, James for the wonderful recommendation and your help getting us in for dinner on such short notice!

In fact, all the staff we interacted with at the Monaco--from doorman to housekeepers--were wonderful! I wouldn't expect to receive better customer service at the Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons--simply put, the service was beyond my very picky expectations!

The area around the hotel is well lit and due to the nearby theatres and restaurants is busy so we felt safe and comfortable walking the main streets both day & night. As for convenience, the Walgreens across the street has just about anything one could need while traveling and the Grand Cafe next door serves a fantastic Sunday brunch and has an extensive bar.

We will definitely plan on returning to Hotel Monaco in the future and would certainly recommend it to friends, family & fellow travelers.

As always, more than happy to answer specific questions about our experience at the Hotel.

Happy travels,

Carol--

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank CarolJL1

Thank you for the fantastic review of the hotel! We are always thrilled to receive feedback as it provides us with training opportunities and a chance to recognize our strengthens. Your comments will definitely be shared with our staff. On a personal note, thank you for giving me the opportunity to influence such a special day! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your dinner! We look forward to your return!

Hotel Monaco
Phone: 415-292-0100

Reviewed July 28, 2008

This hotel is a true gem on all levels. The location is ideal, it is beautiful, FRIENDLY, HELPFUL, comfortable, and not a bad price either. Michael, the concierge is a genius, if I had an idea, he made it happen. The restaurant is a work of art in itself. In the course of my four night stay, I had three meals in house, and another two from room service. All were spectacular AND if I wanted to tweak a little, was happily and easily accommodated. The Monaco will be my permanent go to hotel in San Francisco

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nancy B
Reviewed July 23, 2008

My daughter and I stayed 3 nights on a shopping, sight seeing trip. The location is great as was the room. We had 2 beds, so it was somehat larger than a single bed room. The service was good and we loved the wine and appy hour in the evening and the Starbucks service in the morning with a place by the fire to read the newspaper. We ate in the restaurant the 1st night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have absolutely no complaints about this wonderful little hotel. We were right on Geary, but did not find it noisy.

I booked directly with the Klimpton booking service hotel and was initially quoted a higher rate. When I gave them the Expedia rate, she matched it, though I noted on my confirmation slip that the rate was recorded as "internet spoiler." This made no difference to the room or the excellent treatment we received.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank neamster

Thank you for the superb review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations in one of our double deluxe rooms. We are fortunate to be just steps away from San Francisco’s Union Square and all the fabulous shopping it entails. Thank you for staying with us and for sharing you experience!

Reviewed July 20, 2008

Great place to stay! Small rooms but very nicely decorated and appointed. After schlepping around SF all day, it was a wonderful respite to get in our room - yes, we got the goldfish. All room details were of high quality - really liked the sound system/cd player and the L'Occitane bath products. Things are a bit quirky here (e.g. leopard print bath robes), so maybe not for a real conservative guest. Also, if you need alot of space or a view you may want to look elsewhere. We looked at several Kimpton hotels in the area and believed the Monaco to be the best.

The restaurant and bar area are beautiful. The Sunday breakfast menu was weak as they force you into more of a lunch/brunch menu.

Bottom line: SF has a huge number of lodging options and we love to try new places, but we would probably not bother and return to the Monaco.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tonyk
JRDecker, Front Desk Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2008

We love receiving positive feedback from our guests as it highlights our success. We are always thrilled to pass on compliments to our staff as encouragement to continue providing excellent service! Thank you so much for the kind words! We look forward to providing you with a “cozy nest” again soon!

Phone: 415-292-0100 Fax: 415-292-0111

Reviewed July 15, 2008

Hotel Monaco exceeded our expectations. It is a BEAUTIFUL and luxurious hotel, yet only 15.00 more a night than the Comfort Inn with no A/C that we stayed at in Carmel! It is in the business district and we did have to use quite a bit of public transportation but that is what San Fran is about! The rooms were stunningly decorated- so unique and beautiful. The bed linens, pillows were so comfortable. The wine and cheese hour, included, between 5 and 6 was a classy touch that no one wanted to miss as was the Starbucks coffee in the mornings. We had a problem with a toilet and it was repaired immediately. We ate at the hotel restaurant and though it was very expensive, it was worth it. Great service, quality and selection. We loved this hotel and would recommend it highly! A great value for such luxury.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank jacqvm

Thank you for your feedback and the fantastic review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that if your travels return you to San Francisco that you will remember us! If you have any further information to share, or if I may be of any assistance, please contact me.

Phone: 415-292-0100 Fax: 415-292-0111

Reviewed July 8, 2008

This is really my favorite hotel pretty much anywhere. I had booked another hotel for my stay because the rates were so high for my dates. It turns out there was a huge convention going on at that time. On my second morning in the city, I called the Monaco to see if they had availablity. The rates were much better so I called a cab at 7:30 am and moved.

I just love the Monaco. It was my first experience with a boutique hotel and it's just a fit for me. I've stayed at the huge convention hotels for conferences - and yes, the rooms are much larger. But, they are much more sterile as well.

I love the colors, the vibe, the entire atmosphere of the hotel. Of course, I had the pet goldfish delivered to the room. I named it "Cybil" - in honor of Cybil Shepherd performing just blocks away in a one woman show.

The location can't be beat. The rooms are fabulous. The staff is ALWAYS friendly and helpful and attentive. I consider staying at other Kimpton hotels in SF, but I know I'll always come back to the Monaco.

Breakfast the morning of my move was a fabulous omelet at the Grand Cafe. I love this restaurant almost as much as the Monaco. :-)

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank onemoreroad
JRDecker, Front Desk Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2008

Thank you for the fantastic review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and value your feedback! We invite you to join our guest loyalty program which makes you eligible for special promotions and announcements on new hotels. If you need any assistance with future bookings, please contact me!

Hotel Monaco, San Francisco