“Wonderful boutique hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
B.C.
“Wonderful boutique hotel”
Reviewed July 23, 2008

My daughter and I stayed 3 nights on a shopping, sight seeing trip. The location is great as was the room. We had 2 beds, so it was somehat larger than a single bed room. The service was good and we loved the wine and appy hour in the evening and the Starbucks service in the morning with a place by the fire to read the newspaper. We ate in the restaurant the 1st night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have absolutely no complaints about this wonderful little hotel. We were right on Geary, but did not find it noisy.

I booked directly with the Klimpton booking service hotel and was initially quoted a higher rate. When I gave them the Expedia rate, she matched it, though I noted on my confirmation slip that the rate was recorded as "internet spoiler." This made no difference to the room or the excellent treatment we received.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Not a very appealing street; convenient, but on the edge of the Tenderloin
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank neamster
JRDecker, Front Desk Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2008
Thank you for the superb review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations in one of our double deluxe rooms. We are fortunate to be just steps away from San Francisco’s Union Square and all the fabulous shopping it entails. Thank you for staying with us and for sharing you experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
san diego
Reviewed July 20, 2008

Great place to stay! Small rooms but very nicely decorated and appointed. After schlepping around SF all day, it was a wonderful respite to get in our room - yes, we got the goldfish. All room details were of high quality - really liked the sound system/cd player and the L'Occitane bath products. Things are a bit quirky here (e.g. leopard print bath robes), so maybe not for a real conservative guest. Also, if you need alot of space or a view you may want to look elsewhere. We looked at several Kimpton hotels in the area and believed the Monaco to be the best.

The restaurant and bar area are beautiful. The Sunday breakfast menu was weak as they force you into more of a lunch/brunch menu.

Bottom line: SF has a huge number of lodging options and we love to try new places, but we would probably not bother and return to the Monaco.

• Liked — Cozy room
  • Disliked — Sunday breakfast menu
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tonyk
JRDecker, Front Desk Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2008
We love receiving positive feedback from our guests as it highlights our success. We are always thrilled to pass on compliments to our staff as encouragement to continue providing excellent service! Thank you so much for the kind words! We look forward to providing you with a “cozy nest” again soon!

Phone: 415-292-0100 Fax: 415-292-0111
Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Hotel Monaco exceeded our expectations. It is a BEAUTIFUL and luxurious hotel, yet only 15.00 more a night than the Comfort Inn with no A/C that we stayed at in Carmel! It is in the business district and we did have to use quite a bit of public transportation but that is what San Fran is about! The rooms were stunningly decorated- so unique and beautiful. The bed linens, pillows were so comfortable. The wine and cheese hour, included, between 5 and 6 was a classy touch that no one wanted to miss as was the Starbucks coffee in the mornings. We had a problem with a toilet and it was repaired immediately. We ate at the hotel restaurant and though it was very expensive, it was worth it. Great service, quality and selection. We loved this hotel and would recommend it highly! A great value for such luxury.

• Liked — Friendly staff, value, beauty and comfort
  • Disliked — A bit noisy outside of hotel and quite a few beggars whenever you left hotel
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank jacqvm
Thank you for your feedback and the fantastic review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that if your travels return you to San Francisco that you will remember us! If you have any further information to share, or if I may be of any assistance, please contact me.

Phone: 415-292-0100 Fax: 415-292-0111
Georgia
Reviewed July 8, 2008

This is really my favorite hotel pretty much anywhere. I had booked another hotel for my stay because the rates were so high for my dates. It turns out there was a huge convention going on at that time. On my second morning in the city, I called the Monaco to see if they had availablity. The rates were much better so I called a cab at 7:30 am and moved.

I just love the Monaco. It was my first experience with a boutique hotel and it's just a fit for me. I've stayed at the huge convention hotels for conferences - and yes, the rooms are much larger. But, they are much more sterile as well.

I love the colors, the vibe, the entire atmosphere of the hotel. Of course, I had the pet goldfish delivered to the room. I named it "Cybil" - in honor of Cybil Shepherd performing just blocks away in a one woman show.

The location can't be beat. The rooms are fabulous. The staff is ALWAYS friendly and helpful and attentive. I consider staying at other Kimpton hotels in SF, but I know I'll always come back to the Monaco.

Breakfast the morning of my move was a fabulous omelet at the Grand Cafe. I love this restaurant almost as much as the Monaco. :-)

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank onemoreroad
JRDecker, Front Desk Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2008
Thank you for the fantastic review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and value your feedback! We invite you to join our guest loyalty program which makes you eligible for special promotions and announcements on new hotels. If you need any assistance with future bookings, please contact me!

Hotel Monaco, San Francisco
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 4, 2008

I loved my stay at the Hotel Monaco, one of my most pleasant hotel stays ever. I had a double room on the 6th floor which wasn't exactly large, but not as tiny as some have mentioned. There was minimal street noise, much less than I expected.

The room was extremely clean, the linens soft and high quality, and the bed was very comfy. The room had a lot of amenities like the DVD player and video game I didn't use, but they were nice to have. The in-room safe is a great feature, much appreciated. The mini bar was a regular fridge, so you can fit some bottles of your wine and water in there. The free WiFi was great, and even the IT guy I spoke to on the phone when I had trouble connecting was pleasant and helpful.

The location was very convenient, and I agree with the others that most of areas of downtown SF are "mixed," so it's not like it's an unsafe neighborhood. I had no problems walking around in the daytime and evenings alone.

The evening wine and morning coffee are such a nice feature. However, like some others have said, the problem is with people's bad manners, not the hotel. During my stay, some parents allowed their kids to play noisy video games and wrestle around on the couches during the evening reception. What part of "hosted wine reception" says, "Bring the kids!" Overall, I don't think children are a problem at this hotel as it's clearly not trying to be "child-friendly" -- I think it's just summer and a lot of families are traveling. I would not want a dread of unruly children to keep people from this lovely hotel.

• Liked — The overall feel of luxury and quality.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank redheada1
Thank you for the kind words in your review! We value your feedback as it provides us with a chance to correct mistakes and celebrate our successes!

Every Kimpton Hotel tells a story; ours is sophisticated world travel! We invite world travelers of all ages and provide services that accommodate all. More information on all of our programs are available on our website or contact the property directly for specifics!

Many Thanks,

Hotel Monaco San Francisco
Coloma, California
Reviewed June 19, 2008

The Monaco is a quirky and wonderful place. The staff gives the impression that they really care about their guests.

Our room was not large (queen double), but it was clean and extremely comfortable. Some negative reviews stated that 2 people could not walk in the room at the same time. My suggestion is that they really need to go on a serious diet.

The bed was one of the most comfortable I have experienced in a hotel. We got an inside room on the 3rd floor and could hear no traffic noise which is unusual for San Francisco.

The wine and cheese reception in the evening was great. It was a good chance to talk to other guests. The only problem the first evening was that some guests allowed their children to play in the cheese dish. This was not the fault of the hotel but of parents who have no control of their little charmers. The next night there were thankfully no children present.

The comments about the neighborhood being dangerous were really off base. The Tenderloin starts about a block west of the Monaco and if you choose to walk in that direction it isn't dangerous. Just go about your business like you know where you are going. You might be approached by street people but if you ignore them they pose no threat. If you want to avoid them just walk east toward Union Square.

I think that the best thing going for the Monaco are the employees. Everyone from the bell person to the desk were great.

I would not hesitate recommending this hotel to my friends

• Liked — Staff and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Parents who don't control their children.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nsgw
JRDecker, Front Desk Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2008
We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you so much for the feedback! We love sharing positive experiences with our staff! We hope that you will choose the Monaco if returning to San Francisco and we invite you to join our guest loyalty program Kimpton In Touch!

If I may be of assistance in future bookings or if you have any questions about our hotels, please do not hesitate to contact me!

James R. Decker
In Touch Champion
Phone: 415-292-0100
Orange County, CA
Reviewed June 17, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Monaco for two nights this week.

From the moment we stepped into the lobby until the end of our stay we felt that this was a staff that truly cared about their guests. I have worked at Disneyland, which prides itself on having guests, not customers, but Disney employees could learn a few things from the staff of the Monaco.

Our room was not large, but was very comfortable and furnished in a quaint fashion. The bed was very comfortable and the room, which was inside, was very quiet. This is unusual for San Francisco where traffic noise and sirens are the norm.

Housekeeping was spotless. The bathroom was as clean and spotless as our home. The shower pressure was great and the water hot..

The bathrobes were a little heavy but warm. Like the stripped room having tiger and leopard bathrobes were fun.

The wine and cheese reception was wonderful. The first night a number of children from about 2 to 8 years old who were with their parents (not under their control) spoiled the atmosphere. They were playing with the cheese which was on a table. One 2 year old had great fun touching each piece of cheese with their cute little hands. The parents were not at all concerned and if an employee would have said something I don't think the parents would have responded positively. The second night (Sunday) there were no children at the reception so it was a very pleasant affair with good conversation with other guests.

Since we had a few hours between checkout and our Amtrak bus we stored our luggage in a locked storage area. The bell man who gave us back our luggage made sure that we didn't need transportation or help with our luggage.

The concern that we witnessed by each and every employee was a rarity in our experience. This is a well run hotel that deserves business and we certainly will return.

• Liked — Employees, room cleanliness
  • Disliked — unsupervised children
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Newporter
JRDecker, Front Desk Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2008
Thank you so much for your recent stay with us and for the fantastic review! Your comments and feedback are greatly appreciated and were shared with all the staff here at the Monaco! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will visit us again!

If I may assist in any future stays or provide any information at all please contact me directly! Again, we thank you for staying with us and for providing us with feedback on our performance!

The Hotel Monaco