“4 Sleeps at Hotel Monaco”

The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #41 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
“4 Sleeps at Hotel Monaco”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

An incredible 4 days at Hotel Monaco.
Staff simply went out of their way to make us welcome and feel at home.
A beautiful hotel - and gorgeous rooms. Great location - Union Square.
We had dinner in the Grand Cafe - breathtaking! and the food was amazing.
Timothy Huls went out of his way to have a package delivered to my home after our departure. We had left it in the baggage lock-up room and it got missed when we were ready to leave the hotel.
This kind of service makes a lasting impression on me - and for this reason alone - I will use Hotel Monaco again - if our travels ever take us back to Sanfranciso.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank S4x4
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear S4x4,

Way to go, Timothy Huls. This isn’t Tim’s first time being mentioned here on TripAdvisor. He has a habit of being positively mentioned over and over, again. So, I am not surprised that he made such a positive impression upon you.

Thank you for all of the other wonderful comments and we hope you will come back to stay with us.

Jason

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in early August--I love Kimpton hotels and this was no exception. I was initially disappointed that our room was near the elevator but you would never know. It was very quiet to hotel noise. Street noise was noticeable but you are staying on a major street in a big city.

Unfortunately on our first day of vacation I was injured while doing a Segway tour and was on crutches. The hotel staff went above and beyond helping my husband find everything we needed (including an in-room movie) . They made a very very crappy situation manageable. When we decided to check out early they were very friendly and accommodating. Thanks Hotel Monaco for going above and beyond!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband & I decided to spend the weekend in San Francisco even though we live fairly close by. We took the ferry in and were tourists for the entire weekend. This hotel was wonderful! The staff were particularly amazing - they were friendly, helpful, professional, knowledgeable, warm and seemed genuinely thrilled to be of service in any way possible. This included every one at every level who worked here. And they were not overly saccharine (which just annoys me). The room was small but adorably decorated and the bed was very comfortable. I loved that the gym was accessible with your key card 24/7 since I am a night owl and my husband fades pretty early. Check it out if you are visiting our fair city!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Morphoses,

Thank you for choosing the Monaco for a “staycation.” It is always fun meeting guests who live so close to San Francisco, but they want to experience the city like a local for the weekend. We love sharing our expertise with you.

And I, too, fade early. So, I can relate to your husband. I am just glad our gym hours complimented your schedule. Sounds like that worked out well.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed September 12, 2013

OK hotel, Good location near Union Square. Nice wine reception every evening, chocolate in afternoon and coffee in the morning. Nice European style bar but a bit expensive. Good gym. Good breakfast rest.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel but it was the staff that made the stay great Everyone was helpful and eager to make the stay great. Good location near Union Square. Nice wine reception every evening, chocolate in afternoon and coffee in the morning. Nice European style bar but a bit expensive. The only thing missing was a view overlooking San Francisco.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Paul M,

Thank you for all of the compliments. And I agree with you… I would like for us to have views overlooking San Francisco, too. If they would only allow me to build a couple more floors on top of the building.

Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The staff were all lovely and really helpful! Guys downstairs at the door were so sweet and always looked happy. Our room was a good size not huge but not small. The rooms were not overly flashy but they were clean and comfortable and felt more like home rather than a hotel room which is a nice feeling when travelling around. We ate at the Grand Cafe which joins onto the hotel for breakfast and it was fine.. Ordered room service from there one of the nights food was pretty standard, mac n cheese was very bland! Staff were nice though.
As for the location there was a market and a pharmacy across the road, your about a block away from lots of shops and there were some restaurants and places to eat nearby. The area the hotel is in feels a bit seedy though its about a block away from the Tenderloin area and there were so many homeless people wandering around. I definitely wouldn't have gone walking around at night and I always felt nervous when I was outside the hotel. The homeless people wouldn't just ask for money and move on they would actually stand there talking to you and asking you for ages, it was really unnerving. It could however be like this everywhere in San Fran as there are so many homeless people and I've heard there can be a lot near hotels at Fishermans Wharf too. San Francisco is a beautiful city but I will admit I was glad to only be there 3 nights. Hotel rooms were good though and staff were lovely! No problems with the actual hotel itself!

• Stayed September 2013
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Great location being close to Downtown, excellently styled with new finishings, comfortable bed/pillows (a must), clean/good shower, fantastic service from all staff. We stayed just for two nights and it was great. Recommended for all, as a couple we loved it.

Dear Stan_Savellis,

Sorry. I keep getting distracted by your profile picture. Was that taken at the Monaco?

Thank you for the kind words. We loved having you both stay here, as well.