3,284 results
All reviews hotel monaco wine hour union square living room geary street tenderloin complimentary wine wine reception mini bar junior suite homeless people few blocks each evening free coffee location is great valet parking rooms are small
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Let me start out by saying this is a great hotel. Incredible staff that went out of there way to help every chance they could. Good sized room that was clean, comfy, and inviting with a great look.

There were two things that stuck out as a con for me though. The first is location. It is both great (just steps from the heart of Union Square) and unsettling (just steps from the Tenderloin neighborhood). I did feel a little unnerved at night. The other, and this is just a personal pet peeve, but the room service menu was a little subpar. I say this simply because the restaurant downstairs seemed to be excellent and the in room was lacking.

I did very much like this hotel, but would probably stay in a different neighborhood next time. Good thing Kimpton has several options in San Fran.

Room Tip: Sign up for Kimpton Rewards for free Wi-fi.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DimeStoreSaint
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear DimeStoreSaint,

Thank you for such a “great” headline and such a balanced review.

I want to thank you for your compliments about our staff and the rooms. We have a lot of people who have been working here since 1995 (when the hotel opened) and they are very proud of what they do. We are also proud of the $4 million we just spent on our room’s renovation. I am glad you liked it.

San Francisco is a wonderful place. We have a great climate. We have universal health care. And we have lots of people who come to visit us each year for our restaurants, art, music and just general fun scene. We, also, have a lot of people who live on the streets and panhandle. I wish we did not have people living on the street and we are always looking to see how the local community can improve that situation.

Lastly, I did want to let you and everyone else know that our entire restaurant menu is available through room service. I am sorry if that was not clear. We consistently deliver items from our ever-changing dinner menu for room service.

As you mentioned, there are several Kimpton hotels in San Francisco. If you do not choose us again, please make sure you try one of our sister properties.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel itself was fair, comfortable, central, a few blocks from Union Square although on the borders of thenTenderloin. The Grand Cafe has a good bar but the service for breakfast at the weekend was awful. Long, long wait for service.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank NicholasUk

Dear NicholasUK,

I always hate to hear when one thing ruins a guest’s experience. It sounds like the wait at the Grand Café for breakfast is the thing that did it for you. I am sorry to hear you had to wait such a long time, but I hope the food was worth it.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly. I would love to know more about your experience and how we could improve.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed at the Hotal Monaco for two nights in May 2013.

The location of the hotel, two blocks from Union Square, is perfect as a base for exploring the city. The room was small but very well appointed, and quirkily decked out. The bathroom was excellent and all that one would expect. This was the first time I had noticed a hotel provide a yoga mat in the closet, but I guess this was San Francisco...

The only downer with my stay was checking in. My long-standing booking had been deleted from the system. Fortunately there was a room available but it could have been nasty if there wasn't. The staff were helpful inasmuch as they arranged a new room, but they seemed unable to deal with calling the company with whom the original booking had been made.

That glitch aside, I enjoyed staying at the Hotel Monaco very much. The attached French-themed restaurant is very good indeed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Graham A
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear GrahaminMelbourne,

I am extremely sorry to hear that your original reservation had been cancelled for some unknown reason. We know you had traveled a long way and that it was extremely stressful to be told you did not have a reservation with us. I am glad we were able to get you a room.

I checked your reservation and it looks like we did contact the company on the 27th and they are taking care of all of the charges. Therefore, your credit card has been refunded.

Thank you for noticing our yoga mats in the closets. You will actually find those at all Kimpton properties across the United States and not just San Francisco. We know our guests are interested in maintaining their health while they stay with us and we like to do our part to help.

Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly if you have any questions regarding your billing.

We hope to see you on your next trip to the United States.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

A beautiful and hip hotel with outstanding service. We felt very taken care of and loved the décor and dog friendly policy. It was located very close to Union Square, great location. Our room wasn't huge, but it was beautiful and it worked for us. Make sure to sign up for the Kimpton rewards, it's free and you get a few perks. My only negative is that the spa was very disappointing - the facility wasn't that nice and unlike the amazing service in the rest of the hotel, the spa had grumpy employees who didn't seem to know what's going on. Jump on the chance to stay at this hotel, but skip the spa!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Madrona32
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I've come to find that Kimpton Hotels are always surprising - each one has a distinct feel and decor. The Hotel Monaco in San Francisco is in a great location just a few blocks (1-2 minute stroll) to Union Square, and has a delightful bright and colourful decor. Our room was a standard queen room, and while it had no view the room was clean and beautifully decorated in a whimsical style with bold colours. Room and bathroom are on the small side (which is why I'm giving 4 instead of 5), but sensibly laid out so as to maximise the space they do have. We had a room at the end of the corridor, quite far from the elevators, but it was very peaceful and quiet.

Bed was comfy, bathroom had nice C.O Bigelow products from NYC which was a nice touch, housekeeping service was excellent, our room was always fresh and tidy when we returned each day.

Staff were all very friendly and helpful, warm greeting, efficient check in and check out.

Close proximity to Union Square is a great bonus, plenty of cafes, shops, galleries and restaurants nearby. Great value for the quality and location, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fussy123

Dear Fussy123,

I am feeling even more proud of this review given your screen name.

Whimsical is the exact word we use to describe our rooms. We think that means they are fun. We just spent a lot of money to have all of the rooms renovated and we are delighted to see such positive feedback. Thank you for noticing how we attempted to maximize your space with our choice of furniture and layout.

The team here is proud of the work they do and we want all of our guests to feel special. I am glad you were able to get a good sense of that during your stay. I am assuming you joined us for our hosted wine reception each evening and the coffee and tea receptions in the morning.

Please let us know when you are planning a return visit. We would love to ensure your next visit is just as memorable as your first.