The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Warwick San Francisco(San Francisco)
Serrano Hotel(San Francisco)
Hotel Diva(San Francisco)
  • Room Service
The Dakota Hotel(San Francisco)
Post Hotel(San Francisco)
  • Breakfast included
2,991 results
All reviewshotel monacowine hourunion squarekimpton hotelsliving roomgeary streettenderloinwine receptioncomplimentary winejunior suitemini barfew blockseach eveningfree coffeehomeless peoplelocation is greatrooms are small
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Nice hotel in the heart of the city. Rooms were nicely decorated, reasonable size and had all the necessary in the room. The staff were friendly and accommodating without being over the top. Food was good although we preferred to go out and explore the city a bit. Very convenient to Union Square which is 5 min walk away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with natural light some are quiet dark however upside is these ones are not on the Main Street so they are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Starlika
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Dear Starlika,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Monaco while you were in San Francisco. We do think we have an excellent location just 2.5 blocks west of Union Square (where all of the shopping is located). We are also incredibly close to the Powell Street Cable Car line and BART station.

San Francisco has some amazing dining options and it sounds like you were able to sample some including our own restaurant- The Grand Café.

Lastly, thank you for providing people with the room tip. The more information you can give us about your preferences, the more we can tailor your experience. We may not be able to match all of your requests, but we will do our best. So, do not hestiate to contact us before your arrival.

Jason Stone

Reviewed May 21, 2013

It's always a challenge finding a hotel that will accommodate your pet. But the Hotel Monaco, and the Kimpton hotels in general, allow any pet without any extra fees or restrictions. This was the major selling point, because nearby hotels would charge $50-100 extra for a pet policy and some would have 20 lb weight restrictions. Just one warning - if your pet doesn't like elevators, ask one of the employees to direct you to the stairs to your room. The hotel has quite a confusing maze of stairwells that may or may not lead to the floor you want.

We parked around the corner from the hotel at a parking garage for $32 a night. This was an easy way to save over the hotel's own valet for $52. This hotel is in the heart of the city and extremely easy to get around anywhere by foot or Muni.

I really liked the interior of the hotel - nice cozy lobby areas with big couches. There is also complimentary water all day, coffee/tea in the morning, and wine in the evening. The service equally matched the great decor - everyone from the bellman to the housekeepers were friendly and helpful.

Contrary to the reviewers who think this hotel is in a sketchy area, it's actually lively, full of great restaurants and bars, and has foot traffic almost 24/7. The occasional homeless person should not deter you away from this great hotel.

Another tip - join the InTouch membership for free to receive discounts, a $10 mini bar voucher, and free wifi when you get there! Such a nice freebie. The Hotel Monaco has won me over and is my favorite San Francisco hotel.

Room Tip: Sign up with the InTouch membership for free
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jgytraveler
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at Hotel Monaco. Great location in theatre district. Quiet room. I took advantage of the "Guppy Love" program and had a goldfish keep me company duringmy stay! Be sure to sign up for the Kimpton inTouch program - you get $10 off the minibar and free WiFi. Staff was very friendly and attentive. There is a list in your bathroom of all the complimentary items they will provide for you if needed - I forgot floss, and they sent a floss pack right up to my room! Would recommend! For those of you on business travel - they offer the government rate.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Megan R
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Took my wife and 2.5 year-old daughter on a business trip from a Wed-Sun in May. Very nice hotel with very friendly and competent staff. Only small detraction is the neighborhood; the hotel is not in a "bad" area itself but it roughly equidistant to the Tenderloin district which is not the best neighborhood and Union Square which is the high end shopping. As many other reviews have stated, would not recommend going westward much.

The hotel is very nice, two lobby areas that were very nicely furnished. One has a gas log fireplace, the other that hosts the complimentary morning coffee and afternoon wine hour is larger and has a Wii. The hotel has a variety of free papers in the morning (I think they had USA Today, NY Times, San Fran Chronicle). For loyalty/In Touch members (which is free to sign up for) they have free WiFi which was great and also the $10 mini-bar credit. We stayed in a Mediterranean suite which was decent size room w/a separate bedroom. Small closet w/safe. Two TVs. Large bathroom w/whirlpool and stand alone shower.

Staff was excellent. All very friendly, gave my daughter a goldfish to "babysit" which she loved.

Did not try the spa, the fitness room, or the restaurant.

One recommendation if you are a light sleeper, it is a bit noisy in the neighborhood/street at night till ~2 am. This does not bother me at all but my wife is a light sleeper and she did get woken up a few times.

Overall, nice hotel w/great staff. Close to Union Square and Market Street. 7-8 blocks from Moscone Convention Center. Would stay here again in the future if we needed to be in this part of San Francisco.

Room Tip: I believe the Mediterrean suites are the corner rooms that have three large windows (one behind the headboard) and two of them have window nooks for lots of natural light.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ILBadgerFan
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Hi ILBadgerfan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay.

It sounds like you stayed in our largest suite, which is called the Mediterranean Suite. It does have a separate seating area which can be closed off to the bedroom. The bathroom is the really nice feature of this room as it features a ton of space with a separate Jacuzzi tub and shower. We just spent a lot of money to renovate all of our guest rooms and we are very happy with the way they turned out.

I agree that the rooms facing Geary or Taylor streets can be a little noisy, if you are a light sleeper. Count me as one of those light sleepers. I often ask for a fan or I use a “white noise” app that I downloaded on my iPhone. That seems to do the trick for me.

I am happy to hear you were able to experience our complimentary coffee and tea reception in the morning and the hosted manager’s wine reception in the evening. Thank you, also, for signing up with our loyalty program. The complimentary WiFi is just one of the many perks.

As you mentioned, we are located in the heart of the city and with that brings a lot of different elements. We always have staff available to help direct people so that they don’t take any wrong turns.

We hope to see you on a future visit to San Francisco.

Jason Stone

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I booked a room here for a conference that I attended in San Francisco (and my husband came with me as well). The staff was excellent -- very friendly and helpful. They were warm in welcoming us to the hotel and even followed up after check-in to provide a few things that had been forgotten (i.e., our "raid the mini-bar coupon"). The C.O. Bigelow toiletries in the room were a nice touch -- love those products! The room was cute and fun. It was rather small, but it's San Francisco so that's not very surprising. The hotel is very near Union Square, so I found the location very convenient. There are many homeless in the area and you will be asked for money many times. But I didn't find anyone overly aggressive and we're accustomed to pan-handling in our city. So, we didn't find the location problematic.

We love the Hotel Monaco's nightly wine hour, which is a great way to relax and meet new folks. We were a little surprised that wine hour featured all wines from Argentina rather than local California options, but we still enjoyed the opportunity to get out of our room and enjoy a glass or two on the house!

If you are not a member of the Kimpton InTouch loyalty program, you definitely should join before your visit. (It's free.) You'll get free wireless internet (fast and reliable!), the paper of your choice delivered to the room, and a $10 "raid the mini-bar" coupon that gets you a couple of free snacks. It's one of the better reward programs and you don't have to wait to start getting some great little benefits.

Another great experience at a Kimpton hotel!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business