and 1 more site!
GreenLeadersBronze level
UK
“Hit and Miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is a very difficult hotel review - some aspects were great and others disappointing. On arrival it felt very dark and shabby chic. Check in was completed quickly and we were directed to our room on the 6th floor.

My immediate reaction was that the room (and the bed) very small. Above the bed was a medieval type canopy and most irritating for me was that there was no bedside cabinet on one side of the bed (it was adjacent to the wardrobe) and no reading light to use when in bed. The TV was in a cabinet and if the doors were open (to view TV) it was difficult to get past. We did ask reception if it would be possible to pay for an upgrade but were told the hotel was full. Other rooms we looked in on our coridoor when passing were considerably larger than ours which was more suited for one person than 2. The bathroom was a good size although the side of the bath was unusually low so it wasn't possible to enjoy a nice relaxing soak because the water level was too low.

The hotel holds a complimentary wine tasting between 5-6pm each evening - this was well attended during our stay. It was a nice touch after a day's sightseeing. There's a lounge to relax with a wonderful baronial style fireplace and comfy armchairs. They also serve coffee in the morning in the same room.

As has been mentioned by others there are lots of down and outs on the streets around the hotel though they didn't cause us any problems. The location is close to Union Square which is good for picking up tourist buses and for shopping. We found a good diner along the road for lunch/breakfast but struggled to find any nice restaurants for evening meals within walking distance.

Overall I would rate this hotel as good, better than average but this isn't an option when reviewing, so I would score is 3.5 out of 5.

Room Tip: If room size is an issue book a suite (or even a double-double)
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed here for a week with my wife to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Great room. Location is perfect for visiting all that San Francisco has to offer. Restaurant is nice and bar is pretty cool. Early in the week the bartender Adrian was great, friendly and animated, made a nice cosmo for my wife and martini for me. We ate ar the bar area and had a blast! Unfortunately later in the week we were disappointed with service at the same bar area. Different tender and we felt forgotten about. Drink half filled and then waiter disappeared. We ended up just getting one drink and going elsewhere for food. But with so many options within an easy walk it was no problem. Overall a great experience and hotel staff were awesome.

• Stayed September 2012
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Spent another night during a conference on Union Square at this little gem. The room was very comfortable - loved the bed "curtains" - slept like a rock! Great location just one block off Union Square. The bar has some very inventive drinks. They have this wonderful "living room" with a fireplace and comfy couches to read or wait for friends. And the desk staff was really helpful with restaurant suggestions, maps and public transportation options. Will be my first choice for my next trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank CAAdventuress
Lexington, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed Hotel Monaco for 5 nights and I only have positive things to say. The hotel itself is beautiful. The room is VERY clean and the beds are so comfortable. The staff is amazing, I got there before check in time and they found a room ready for me. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk to Union Square (shopping). If I ever come back to San Francisco, I will be staying here again! A++++++

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank brizee06
Madison, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

We love the Kimpton chain of hotels in all cities. They are updated with a fun style. They always have great toiletries and most of all wine hour! The wine hour here was great with small snacks and free massages!!! The mornings had wonderful coffee and tea bar including all options of milks and sugars.

The manager in the restaurant here was very helpful with selecting restauarants to our style in the area. Also the concierge Eddy was VERY helpful. He recommended a wonderful lookout spot on our drive to Sausalito.

Our one negatives with this particular hotel was that we were given a less $ room than booked as what was available upon check in, and then on check out they said they had no note of such even though the lesser rate was written on the key card when we checked in and I didn't notice until we got to our room and when I called down Charlotte verified it. My word wasn't good enough for them to honor the lesser price I know was written and told to me.... thankfully the key holder was still in the garbage from days prior and they honored it after I showed them.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I recently stayed at Hotel Monaco while attending a conference in the area. The property is beautiful and the service was amazing. It's in a great location and convenient to just about anywhere in the city. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone planning to spend some time in San Francisco.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SeanCRM
High Point, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband & I recently traveled to SF for 5 days to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. It was our first trip to the west coast. From the moment we arrived at the hotel we felt right at home. The staff, particularly Charlotte, was TERRIFIC! She got us checked in even though it was early in the morning and our room was not quite ready. Tim and Andrew were always willing to offer dining recommendations or directions as to where we wanted to go. I can not compliment the staff enough. I did not find the hotel's neighborhood questionable at all. My husband & I always felt safe. The location of the hotel is so convenient to the cable car, BART, & shopping. There is a Walgreens and a small grocery store right across the street which came in very handy for picking up snacks & beverages that we wanted to take back to our room late at night. We had a wonderful time in CA and Hotel Monaco got it off to a fabulous start!!

3 Thank Mary M