“Always choose a Kimpton!”

The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #48 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We love the Kimpton chain of hotels in all cities. They are updated with a fun style. They always have great toiletries and most of all wine hour! The wine hour here was great with small snacks and free massages!!! The mornings had wonderful coffee and tea bar including all options of milks and sugars.

The manager in the restaurant here was very helpful with selecting restauarants to our style in the area. Also the concierge Eddy was VERY helpful. He recommended a wonderful lookout spot on our drive to Sausalito.

Our one negatives with this particular hotel was that we were given a less $ room than booked as what was available upon check in, and then on check out they said they had no note of such even though the lesser rate was written on the key card when we checked in and I didn't notice until we got to our room and when I called down Charlotte verified it. My word wasn't good enough for them to honor the lesser price I know was written and told to me.... thankfully the key holder was still in the garbage from days prior and they honored it after I showed them.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,936)

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I recently stayed at Hotel Monaco while attending a conference in the area. The property is beautiful and the service was amazing. It's in a great location and convenient to just about anywhere in the city. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone planning to spend some time in San Francisco.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SeanCRM
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband & I recently traveled to SF for 5 days to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. It was our first trip to the west coast. From the moment we arrived at the hotel we felt right at home. The staff, particularly Charlotte, was TERRIFIC! She got us checked in even though it was early in the morning and our room was not quite ready. Tim and Andrew were always willing to offer dining recommendations or directions as to where we wanted to go. I can not compliment the staff enough. I did not find the hotel's neighborhood questionable at all. My husband & I always felt safe. The location of the hotel is so convenient to the cable car, BART, & shopping. There is a Walgreens and a small grocery store right across the street which came in very handy for picking up snacks & beverages that we wanted to take back to our room late at night. We had a wonderful time in CA and Hotel Monaco got it off to a fabulous start!!

3  Thank Mary M
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights during our stay in SF. The staff was very welcoming, visible and helpful. Andrew(concierge) was more than willing to help out with any questions and offer recommendations for dining and entertainment. We actually acted upon his recommendations and found them to be satisfying to our needs. Thanks Andrew. The hotel has an artistic motif and is well maintained. The hotel room is furnished with cable tv,full bath,stocked fridge($),and a comfortable sleeping arrangement. I recommend a stay here but give it four stars based on the parking fee and its relative location from a sketchy area called,"Tenderloin".

Room Tip: Always let your preference known. If
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We needed a room in a central location for a short, 3 day, holiday in San Francisco (SFO), and somewhere to easily drop off the hire car, as the car isn't needed in SFO. The Hotel Monaco in Gearly Street proved to be ideal in both respects and proved to be very conveniently situated for Union Square, the shops, restaurants and the cable car. The hire car return is just around the block in O'Farrell Street. We treated ourselves to a mini-suite which cost on average $318/night or $362 with local taxes (ie. about £225/night total). Our room was just the right size, as US city hotel rooms can tend to be quite snug, and so it was worth the extra expense. The Grand Cafe restaurant is in two parts, a very large and more formal dining room decorated in an art deco style and a more informal cafe bar with an entrance from Geary Street; the menu is the same for both. We ate in the informal Cafe on the first night and in the main restaurant on the last night. The latter cost $116 for two high quality entrees and a good bottle of Californian wine and my steak was really excellent.

Room Tip: Our mini-suite was Room 420 which was on Geary Street and was right next to the lift which made it c...
1  Thank Schulkx
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was my third stay at the Monaco within the last couple of years. I usually have a layover in San Francisco on a yearly r-t-w trip to/from Asia. I’ve stayed in several hotels in SF over the years and in this price range, the Monaco has proven to be my favorite boutique hotel in the area by far.

To start, the lobbies are just lovely. Small, intimate, two fireplaces, art deco feel; for a small hotel, it’s very elegant and welcoming. The porters/concierge are excellent and happy to help no matter what the request. The front desk staff is enthusiastic, helpful, professional and efficient. I had several questions about check-out, parking, etc. which were promptly answered (as did a couple other people checking in—one lady wanted to be far away from pets and her room was changed to a no-pet floor; another wanted a certain p.c. set up that the hotel could not provide as the entire hotel uses wi-fi now, so she was directed to the business center after a few calls to the tech staff were made—quick and impressive).

The rooms are not particularly large (I was staying in the basic queen room this time), but they are charming, well designed, cozy and intimate. I liked the bathroom set up, as well as furry bathrobes and socks provided during the stay. The beds are very comfortable and duvet/linens/pillows wonderfully sink-in-able. As a Kimpton member, I received the $10 voucher for the mini bar (a nice touch) and there was a US$ 30 discount on a massage which I did not use. I was on the 7th floor in an internal room (no view) and it was very quiet; perhaps my room had been remodeled as it was very clean and tasteful.

I love the fact that the hotel is pet friendly and more than once while having a glass of wine during the daily 5-6pm wine hour (again, a very nice touch), I’ve been surrounded by beloved four-paw companions who welcome some petting (which is meaningful for many of us who travel and have to leave our own pets behind). I do wish the Kimptons would stop the goldfish pet offering—although perhaps not ultimately cruel, I doubt the little fishbowls are well aerated and being moved about from room to room is ultimately not in the fishes’ best interest (as one reviewer noted, the fish delivered to her room died…..if such an offering is to continue, I suggest replacing real fish with little automatic plastic fish…amusing and more humane….).

Coffee offered in the lobby in the mornings is nice, as is the fresh fruit water throughout the day. The location, as well noted by other reviews, is not the best, but I’ve found that San Francisco in general is full of homeless/pan handlers, so it didn’t feel much different within the hotel’s vicinity. I walked for over an hour to get to shopping area I enjoy (Union Street) and although I passed by many homeless/pan handlers, I did not feel threatened at any time; just sad. I didn’t eat in the hotel, but did get a glass of wine/dessert one night from the hotel restaurant to enjoy in front of the fire; heaven! I really enjoy my stays at the Monaco and will stay again in the future.

Room Tip: Higher floor is more quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Asiaexpat81
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Everything was just right, it was our Anniversary and they left us a champagne as a gift. The location is great, 5 minutes from Union Square. Clean, staff members are very helpful. The only thing missing is a room with view and a little bit small but not tiny. Fridge and safe were in the room.