“Street noise input into Meditterean Suite.”

The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #47 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 14, 2011

I'm writing the review while wide awake in a Meditterean suite due to the tremendous street noise that comes into the room. I raised the issue several times with the front desk and they, of course, "apologized". My take is that the hotel knows room noise is a huge issue but they haven't yet taken measures to ameliorate it, and so just say "sorry" and ignore it. We've stayed at numerous Kimptons around the country, as well as many high end hotels (Ritz, Four Seasons, etc.) and find it hard to believe this Kimpton hotel doesn't recognize the noise problem (or at least warn customers about certain rooms).

Other minor issues were no turn down service (without our requesting it), and newspaper per Kimpton club membership was never delivered. Otherwise, nice place.

Room Tip: Hotel is at busy intersection, get a high room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ftwilder
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2011

Dear ftwilder,
I am a light sleeper, so I can certainly appreciate you not being able to sleep with all of the street noise. Please accept my apology for the noise. The hotel has double-paned windows, but they are not going to be able to block out all of the sound. We have considered adding another layer of sound protection, but then you would not be able to open the windows and we know people would not like that.
I am very sorry to hear you felt we ignored your problem. That was definitely not the case. The night you checked in to the hotel, we tried to find another one of our suites for you, but we were completely sold out and could not move you. We offered to move you at a later date, but you declined. I know we also sent up ear plugs and even offered a fan for background noise. We asked if we could send up a special amenity as a way of apologizing and you declined that. I even called you myself, but alas, I was too late and you had already posted your review.
This is San Francisco. There is a lot of street noise. Some people are more affected by it than others. Of course, we will do everything we can to make you happy, because we want you to enjoy your stay and tell all of your friends about us. You mentioned to me that you thought the staff had been great and I sincerely appreciated that compliment, as will they.
We still provide turn-down service upon request. We realized over a year ago that many people did not know what turn-down service was and guests were wondering why we were going back in their rooms in the afternoon. So, we made turn-down an “on request” service.
Thanks, again, for your feedback and for sharing it with others. All of our guests should feel comfortable contacting the hotel in before, during and after their stay with any questions or concerns and we will do our best to accommodate.

Jason Stone

Write a ReviewReviews (2,875)

Reviewed May 14, 2011

First time staying at a Kimpton Hotel and was not disappointed. Very friendly staff - helpful concierge deserves special mention (Thanks Eddie and Benni). Overall, great location, with plenty of inexpensive eateries nearby, Make sure you visit Bangkok Cafe along Powell Street (next to Tad Steaks) for great Thai Food. Thanks TA for another great hotel recommendation - Im now convinced that yours is one of the best and reliable travel sources!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2011

While traveling thru San Franciso, my friend and I stayed at Hotel Monaco in the beginning of our trip - after driving to Yosimite, Lake Tahoe and several other places, we decided to end our vacation back at The Hotel Monaco. The doorman, Benje, not only remembered us but treated us like family. Everything there is so luxurious and you are treated so nicelky by everyone. I would definitly go back!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2011

On a recent business trip, I trusted TA travellers and once again, was not disappointed with their recommendation of the Monaco in SF near Union Square. The hotel is like stepping back into the gilded era of the early 1900's with painted fresco ceilings, lattice-work railings, and massive fireplaces.

The room itself faced Geary street , but was still fairly quiet - heard the occasional siren or engine. The room was decorated with funky green and yellow striped wallpaper and a large circular mirror in the sitting area with 2 Asian patterned chairs. There was a nice-sized functional desk between the beds and a large corner armoir that housed the TV and a mini-bar plus fridge. The bedding and pillows were some of the most comfortable I have come across on my travels. The bathroom was equipped with Aveda products, a hairdryer, plus cotton balls and q-tips. There was also a list of essentials the front desk would provide if needed. Plenty of room for 2 people.

The front desk was outstanding with check-in, as well as sight-seeing and dining suggestions. I had emailed the concierge 2 nights before my stay to request 2 beds as a friend was able to join me - and the request was granted with a smile.

The location is within walking distance (3 blocks) to Union Square and the Cable care and (5 blocks) to the gate of Chinatown. The doorman suggested not to venture to the west or south due to it being a rougher neighborhood and not as visitor-friendly. There is a very nice cafe (but expensive) adjacent to the hotel, as well as many dining options within a short walk. Our favorite for breakfast was a small diner at the corner of Geary and Mason (same side of street as hotel) and dinner was a time to venture out - had fabulous homemade raviolli at Scala's on Powell, and tasty chicken and broccoli at R and G in Chinatown along with the freshest fish of the trip!

It was a fun trip and I've already recommended the Monaco to friends and family!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank SandyToesMinnesota
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Arrived to a room at 83 degrees despite thermostat set at 65. I called down and ...eventually someone came to confirm it really was quite hot. 3 hours later and after significant perspiration (no offer to exchange rooms) maintenance fixed the fan, but NOT the AC and declared it fixed. By then it was night and I had opened the window.
The next day my wife arrived to....82deg after a long flight and hike. After 3 hours they finally agreed to just give us another room. My wife forgot my phone charger while moving all my unpacked luggage. So I called from the new room's bathroom after finally realizing the new room's phone did not work. They had already put a guest in the room with no AC and never really looked into finding my charger until 2 days later at my insistence.
Cheap wine at 5pm and good coffee in the morning is nice, but does not make up for poor facilities and a lack of true service. This hotel presents the worst aspects of a chain without consistently providing the best details of a stand alone.

To be fair, the location is great, Walgreens is across the street, and the daytime desk/door are friendly.

PS Don't walk south at night. San Fran has some very real risks in the wrong neighborhoods.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Orthodromic
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Did some research on available hotels in San Francisco prior to my trip and finally singled out the hotel MONACO for my stay and did not regret my choice.

Probably the biggest asset of the hotel is its location, just two blocks away from Union Square which is an optimal place for a tourist. Right opposite to the hotel is a Walgreen's convenient store/drug store/pharmacy which sells all your daily needs... Apart from the in-house cafe/restaurant there are plenty of diners within walking distance so no-one has to starve.

My room was not huge but just the right size and very quiet (well, should be on the top floor. It was well maintained and clean and came will all the amenities a traveler expects, i.e. free wireless internet. To gain free wifi internet access simply sign up to Kimptons free loyalty program.

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful and attended all my requests.

I would give the Monaco a thumbs up and would definitely stay there again should I get back to San Francisco.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank thehamburgian
Reviewed May 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Hotel Monaco after our wedding. I have family in the city, so I've never had need for a hotel in SF before, but we decided to treat ourselves to a suite for two nights to celebrate. We checked in fairly late,but didn't have a single issue getting our room or ordering room service. The hotel provided us with a complimentary bottle of champagne and a handwritten note congratulating us on our wedding.

Our suite was nicely sized, with an amazingly comfortable bed and spacious bathroom with a huge tub. The decor was so nice that we joked about hiring somebody to redo our house in the same way! We ordered room service twice while staying, and both times the food was excellent and promptly delivered.

I would not hesitate to stay here again, and I now look for Kimpton hotels whenever I need a hotel because I was so impressed with the quality of the hotel and service at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple