“you get what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars
Review of SF Plaza Hotel

SF Plaza Hotel
Ranked #207 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
honolulu
“you get what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

If you are looking for a nice, comfortable, ritzy or romantic hotel......then don't even think of staying at this place. You will be sadly disappointed. If you are budget minded and are just looking for a decently priced, safe place to rest your head in a good location then you may like this place. Many of the older hotel rooms in san francisco are on the smaller size. If you want a spacious room with some amenities then you should look for the newer hotels but also be prepared to pay a lot more also.

This is an older hotel so the rooms are small, walls are thin and the elevator seems slow and incredibly old. The location is fantastic, right next to the chinatown gateway. With chinatown at your doorstep there are many chinese restaurants in the area in addition to a coffee shop across the street, subway restaurant half a block away and other eateries in the neighborhood. there aren't many frills to this place so be prepared to have most of your experiences away from the hotel.

I always make it a habit in any hotel to check my surroundings and the bed for bed bugs. While I haven't encountered any of my many stays at the astoria (or any hotel for that matter) I feel it is a must thing to do after checking in. That way you won't encounter any unexpected crawly visitors or bites at night.

so if you aren't picky and just want a place to rest your head after seeing san francisco then this is a good fit for you. If you are looking for a 2 1/2 or more star hotel with frills and amenities and good service then you should look for the better hotels but be prepared to pay more.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank hawaiitravellerinsf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
NORFOLK , ENGLAND
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

This is one of the very worst experiences that I have ever had. We arrived in San Francisco late and were delighted to find somewhere to rest our heads after a long drive from LA. The room was small and we were immediately hit by a dank, musty smell as soon as we opened the door. Dropping our bags inside we set off to find something to eat. On our return at midnight we spent the next hour trying to book another hotel. This hotel is disgraceful - the bed linen, towels and furnishings are filthy. We were unable to sleep all night (despite being absolutely shattered). The following day my husband and I were covered in flea bites. We had tickets for the breakfast but couldn't wait to book out. A horrible experience and I would have liked to have complained but with the hotel being in Chinatown and with us being tourists we did not know what the repercussions could be. AVOID if you want to enjoy your stay in San Francisco - the Radisson at Fisherman's Wharf was only a little dearer and the American Best Inns was cheaper.

1 Thank lowloader24_7

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

If you're traveling solo, can't beat the price and location. All I want is a clean bed, clean shower and a place to drop my clothes. At the gates of Chinatown, couple of blocks from Market St and within walking distance of all tourist attractions including the Wharf and AT &T Park. Street noise was only issue. Looking forward to another visit and I'll be back to the Astoria.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

I’ve been to San Francisco more than a dozen times and stayed in various hotels all over the city; everything from a 4star near Fisherman’s Wharf to run-down establishments in the Tenderloin, with some fancy boutique hotels in-between. After a week in 2007 and another in 2008 I came back to the ASTORIA in October 2010 for a third stay, this time 9 consecutive nights. And guess what, from all I know it is still the best deal in town, hands down!

Seriously folks: Name a major US city where you can find a decent (clean and safe!) hotel in a prime downtown location for $60 per night, breakfast included. Not in the 1950s but today!

Yes, it is sparse. Yes, they have their own thrill ride, the “elevator”. Yes, it is noisy and the windows have no insulation qualities whatsoever. Yes, the breakfast is as basic as can be. Yes, the breakfast room is somewhat depressing. Yes, the staff is not from the cheerful & hugging school of customer service. Yes, it carries no star rating and no AAA blessings. So what?

I want a safe place, a convenient location, a half-decent bed, a clean bathroom, a regular TV, helpful staff when needed, and a rate that leaves the bigger part of my budget for my daytime activities. The ASTORIA does all that. I will return there for a fourth stay, no doubt about that!

PS: If you don’t mind waking up 6 AM each morning to enormous street noise, ask for a room facing Bush Street. They have plenty of daylight, which is a great compensation for the lack of sleep. The rooms facing Grant Street or the courtyard are quieter, but often displeasingly dark.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank fossilizer
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Upon reading reviews, I think some people are forgetting that this is a budget hotel in an expensive city. Yes, it is an old hotel with thin walls; the room was simple but clean, the bathroom was small but functional. We did not find stains on our sheets and maid service was available everyday; although, we opted not to have our linens changed daily. Yes, the shower caulking was moldy and black. We did not take advantage of the breakfast as we wanted to experience breakfast/lunch/dinner outside of the hotel.

If you look carefully at the price of lodging at the hotel, you will see that there is a 14% tax that is not included in their quoted prices. All the hotels I researched in the city include this tax.

The location is superb and we never felt our safety was compromised. When we return to San Francisco, we will stay there again.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

good location...near chinatown...room was very small and cramped...not very clean, no air con or fan...only air you get is from the window...windows can be open wide and no locks so unsafe...towels were a little stained...lift can only hold 3 ppl and felt like it was going to break down any time....lift broke down when i was there...and i stayed on the 7th floor! good for 1-2 nights stay if you want to explore san frans..otherwise dont go back again...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank dez102
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

The room was small and dirty. The mattress and pillows were stiff and gave my boyfriend and me back and neck aches. We wound up getting our own pillows from my car on our second night. Each and every move on the mattress sounded like an extremely old, creaky door. I don't think the shower has ever been cleaned (moldy and filthy.) The shower didn't work properly - either boiling hot or freezing cold and very weak shower spray. My boyfriend and I placed a plastic bag on the shower floor to stand on. I would suggest bringing water shoes or rubber sandals. We found holes, stains and long, black strands of hair sticking out of the towels hanging on the shower door. The hair dryer given to us at the front desk only blew out cold air taking us three times as long to dry our hair- which was entirely inconvenient as my boyfriend and I had tickets to a show and were getting dinner just before. We weren't given complimentary tea or coffee. The room offered beyond poor lighting. The only way to really light up our room was to open the blinds, which were heavily dusted/dirt soiled, and viewed directly across to another building and their windows. I could watch the couples' television from across the way from our window. The location was convenient. The room was quiet. The parking cost us $45 for the weekend....they didn't mention that part in the description and we didn't necessary budget for it. They also add tax after you check in which increases your initial total. For the price we payed, plus what we payed for parking, we probably could have found something much nicer and more comfortable. We won't be staying here again.