“For the price, this is an EXCELLENT Hotel”
Review of SF Plaza Hotel

SF Plaza Hotel
Ranked #202 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Denver, Colorado
“For the price, this is an EXCELLENT Hotel”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Astoria was recommended by a co-worker as a cheap, centrally located place to stay in San Francisco.

We stayed here three nights, in September 2013. The price was an unbeatable $90 per night. This was better than a hostel stay for two people!

The front desk staff always said 'hello' when we walked through the lobby. Check in and check out was a simple process.

The rooms were clean, but old. No complaints really, but of course we live in a house built in the early 1900s. Creaky doors, old bathrooms and single pane windows are my norm:) This is not a luxury stay, more for thrifty travelers.

We would stay here again as the price matched the accommodations AND the location was perfect.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
n wales
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Great price. Great location. Just don't expect great service. It's exactly what you pay for. No complaints though. Room wasn't exactly gorgeous and a couple of floors has a bit of a funky smell but clean towels everyday and free wifi in the lounge (or if u were lucky enough to be above it, in ur room too). Located right next to china town, 2 blocks from union square, easy walking distance to everything. Felt safe there at night too. If your just looking for a bed to sleep in then this is fine.

1 Thank samjones83
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I’m actually quite surprised at how this hotel turned out. I am a very open-minded person when it comes to lodging. I have stayed in (and actually quite enjoyed) many hostels over the last few years. So I would say my standards are a bit lower than most people’s in that I’m perfectly fine with basic amenities. As long as it’s clean, quiet, & comfortable for a place to shower and sleep, I’m ok.
I booked the hotel for two nights at $130 total. Very, very cheap for a hotel in San Francisco. Based on the reviews that said “basic, but functional”, I felt pretty good about the reservation. And I rarely am disappointed with hotels.

I will say – this place is clean. It’s old, but it’s not dirty. At least not the lobby or the room I stayed in. The linens were clean (albeit, rough) and the carpet seemed clean (albeit, old).
My biggest reason for giving this place a low rating is because of the bed. Upon entering the room (#701), my boyfriend and I sat down on the bed and basically made a THUD noise. I swear, it was a box spring. I’m not even kidding. If that was a mattress, I simply cannot believe it. I have slept on floors softer than that. Not only that, but the comforter was very thin and the pillows very flat. Only two were provided for the queen size bed.
We did happen to have a room with a flat-screen tv, but we didn’t watch it anyway. The bathroom was small and the counter space even smaller. But again, it was clean.
The location is the best part of the hotel. Right next to the Chinatown gate and very easily walkable to the shops of Union Square and tons of restaurants.
We arrived in San Francisco very late in the evening so we didn’t have much choice but to stay there for the night. We each only got about an hour or two of light dozing sleep; the bed was just too unbelievably hard. Also, the window had no curtains. Just some broken blinds that only shut part-way. It was very bright in the room, to boot.
The plus side was that we were wide awake around 4:30am and decided to start our day. We showered, headed to the Starbucks across the street, loaded up on caffeine, and were able to catch an empty cable car and see empty Fisherman’s Wharf in the early morning mist before having to fight all the tourists.
We’d booked and paid for two nights, but we ended up checking out later that day and booking a different hotel so we could get some good sleep. Paid an un-planned $250 for it, but we both considered it worth it. To stay in that bed another night would have killed us.
All in all, this hotel is not the worst possible place you could stay by any means. But I certainly would look elsewhere. Here, the adage is true: You get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The hotel is in a great spot, easy to get to any location in the city from the hotel. The elevator is a bit old school and seems like it was going to break at any moment, but that kind of added to the fun of it. The room itself had a musty smell to it, enough to need to crack the window open. Staff were great, they held our bags all day on check out as we were not departing until later in the evening.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
World
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights on vacation visiting San Francisco; it's one of the cheapest hotel I found and the position is great! My room was pn the Chinatown Gate. The personal is not so kind and there's no breakfast included, but the room is nice and clean.

Stayed October 2013
Reviewed October 11, 2013

The location of this hotel makes up for the slightly shabby rooms. Just a short walk from Market St, & on the corner of Chinatown. Friendly desk staff. A light continental breakfast was included in the price. Carparking was about a block away & USD26/day with multiple entry/exit. Free WiFi in the lounge & lobby but not in room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We were looking for somewhere cheap to stay for 2 nights, that wasn't in a dodgy area. This hotel was perfect for that. For $150 for both nights it was far cheaper than anywhere else I could find. Location was great - 5 min walk to Union Square. We trundled our luggage from BART station, less than 10 min walk.

It was dated and basic but clean and the tv/shower etc worked fine. I can't comment on breakfast as we were up and out by 6am (jet lag!) so no sign of any food offered. I avoided using the lift apart from when we had our cases, it did sound a bit clunky but didn't plunge us to our deaths as some previous reviews had implied. Wifi worked well on first couple of floors.

I'd stay there again if I ever go back to San Francisco.