“Crap...prepare to be shouted at and have your money stolen.” 1 of 5 stars

Astoria Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   510 Bush St, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Chinatown)   |
Ranked #195 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Singapore, Singapore
“Crap...prepare to be shouted at and have your money stolen.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The reviews seemed mixed between satisfied customers and bad experiences.

I choose this hotel based on recent positive reviews, attractive location, and low price.

We were not expecting too much based on the price, but I am completely shocked at the service we received.

Upon checking it, we were given a room that seemed to have been unoccupied for decades. Dirty, smelly, with cobwebs hanging off the headrest of the bed and the various corners of the room. When my wife asked if there were other rooms available, the man at the counter shouted at her that they were fully booked and challenged us to move out!!

With most other hotels fully booked due to the Fleet Weekend, we of course had no choice but to stay unless we could find another hotel. We politely requested that room service clean up the room while we were out. We came back to find absolute nothing done. In the end, we had to clean the room ourselves.

We woke up the next morning itching after a nightmare night in the dirty bed. To make things worst, we went down to the breakfast room to be greeted by the same grumpy old man who shouted at my wife. He proceeded to grumble at us and all the other guest and bang the food onto the tables.

To complete the nightmare, we realized that housekeeping had stolen money from my wife's purse. We were sure that she had not misplaced or dropped the money as she had counted the money the night before and did not remove her purse from her handbag from the time she counted her money till the time we realized the loss. The only time her purse was left unattended was when she left the room for a few minutes to use the very slow Wi-fi in the conference room. Housekeeping was just cleaning the room next door when she stepped out and nowhere to be found when she returned a few minutes later!!

In short: DO NOT STAY HERE. Spend a little bit more money for peace of mind in a better Hotel. In fact, we saw a much better posher hotel (Grand Plaza Hotel) just around the corner which offers room at the same price. It was unfortunate that they had no rooms available or we would have moved there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shamus C

Costa Mesa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

In looking at the reviews, this place seemed perfect for us really. We were going to San Francisco for a long weekend, and wouldn't be in the room much. Service was nice and helpful, and the place is generally clean. It's an older and charming property. The single-hung style window opened all the way, and we were able to get a nice breeze and listen to the lively cafe down below.

The room was relatively small, but it's just what most people need I'd assume. Tiny little TV, but we don't typically use TVs in hotel rooms, so it was no matter to us. Bed was pretty comfy, and we had enough room to hang/stow our clothes. If I had one complaint, it would be that the restroom didn't have an exhaust fan, but that is pretty nitpicky.

Overall, this place was GREAT for the price. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Might want to ask for a room facing the street if you like to feel the liveliness of the city. We d...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mkushin
los angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I chose this lodging primarily for the cost and location. My four-night stay in August would be comparable to a single night's rate in the more expensive hotels close by. My savings from choosing the Astoria enabled me to take a day trip tour to Yosemite National Park.

I arrived at the hotel shortly after 9:30 am and a room was ready for me away from the busy street. It had the basic amenities that allowed for a generally comfortable stay. The TV had the channels that *I* wanted (ESPN and local news) which kept me occupied. Clean towels were supplied daily. A maintenance issue that came up was promptly fixed.

Although free breakfast was included in the hotel rate (you get pass cards from the front desk when you check-in depending on your room selection; you then give the pass card to the breakfast room attendant for each day you go), I just went to the breakfast room once.

I went to the second floor common room (I think it is available 24/7) whenever I needed to access information from my mobile device for wi-fi connection.

I had my own private bathroom (vs. shared) which was convenient. The guest room itself used the regular key (vs. a key card) . The security chain didn't feel that secure to me but I made sure that I still used it.

The bed mattress was comfortably firm and adequate for me and I didn't have any sleep issues.

There was a ceiling fan and a small wall heater. There were blinds for privacy (I was on the 5th floor) and I could open the windows to let in some breeze and prevent the room from feeling stuffy.

I noticed a poorly supplied vending machine on the second floor but there was a water cooler next to the lobby door which I really appreciated, especially since I brought my own drinking container.

I have been to other budget lodgings in the city and based on location (relative to BART-Powell or Montgomery stations), budget (<$70/night + tax), and room space, the Astoria would be a primary choice for my future visits to San Francisco.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank blgrn8
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

if your traveling to san fran and need of a hotel thats a good price, near every thing, this is the hotel!! its not a 5 star hotel, but the staffs are friendly and the rooms are decent. i stayed in the room that comes with its own bath room. i m staying at this hotel from now on, when ever i m in san fran! what more can you ask for??

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Lakewood, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Attended a conference, blew my budget on the registration fees and printing costs for my poster; I was traveling alone and did not need anything besides a bed, private bathroom, clean sheets and towels, and wifi. As long as you keep your expectations to nothing beyond the absolute basics, this will meet your needs. This is an old establishment, with flooring that creaks with each and every step, an very old elevator shaft, physical keys, a staff that offers no unnecessary courtesy, and near-springless mattresses that are so loud they'll make you reconsider any sort of physical activity on them. The pros: clean, made bed, no bedbugs; ok bathroom with relatively clean towels; clean sheets; wifi on second floor commons area; 10 yards from the gate to Chinatown; a couple blocks away from Union Square; couple blocks away from Montgomery BART station; pretty safe area. If i were to come back with friends or family, I would most likely not choose this place (only because splitting something like Hilton between friends would be a similar price), but for a single traveler with no need to tend to the high-maintenance needs of others, this did the job. It won't add to your SF experience, nor will it detract from it. If anything, its location makes it a great deal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

On the cusp of Chinatown. Handy to have the basic breakfast in the morning and wireless in the common room but very basic and owners were a fairly ratty bunch. Average location but fairly close to most of SF's amenities.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've previously reviewed the Astoria Hotel and have nothing particular to add from my recent trip other than to say they offer the same basic, safe, stupendously well-located hotel as they always have and at a mind-blowing price that hasn't changed in years.

If you're looking at $300/night hotels then the Astoria isn't for you but if you want to pay $65/night and be better located than almost anywhere then do it. Do it now.

Room Tip: Personally we always ask for a room over-looking the street as we like seeing (and hearing) the hust...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple