“Budget considerations”
Review of SF Plaza Hotel

SF Plaza Hotel
Ranked #200 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I chose this lodging primarily for the cost and location. My four-night stay in August would be comparable to a single night's rate in the more expensive hotels close by. My savings from choosing the Astoria enabled me to take a day trip tour to Yosemite National Park.

I arrived at the hotel shortly after 9:30 am and a room was ready for me away from the busy street. It had the basic amenities that allowed for a generally comfortable stay. The TV had the channels that *I* wanted (ESPN and local news) which kept me occupied. Clean towels were supplied daily. A maintenance issue that came up was promptly fixed.

Although free breakfast was included in the hotel rate (you get pass cards from the front desk when you check-in depending on your room selection; you then give the pass card to the breakfast room attendant for each day you go), I just went to the breakfast room once.

I went to the second floor common room (I think it is available 24/7) whenever I needed to access information from my mobile device for wi-fi connection.

I had my own private bathroom (vs. shared) which was convenient. The guest room itself used the regular key (vs. a key card) . The security chain didn't feel that secure to me but I made sure that I still used it.

The bed mattress was comfortably firm and adequate for me and I didn't have any sleep issues.

There was a ceiling fan and a small wall heater. There were blinds for privacy (I was on the 5th floor) and I could open the windows to let in some breeze and prevent the room from feeling stuffy.

I noticed a poorly supplied vending machine on the second floor but there was a water cooler next to the lobby door which I really appreciated, especially since I brought my own drinking container.

I have been to other budget lodgings in the city and based on location (relative to BART-Powell or Montgomery stations), budget (<$70/night + tax), and room space, the Astoria would be a primary choice for my future visits to San Francisco.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank blgrn8

Reviewed September 18, 2012

if your traveling to san fran and need of a hotel thats a good price, near every thing, this is the hotel!! its not a 5 star hotel, but the staffs are friendly and the rooms are decent. i stayed in the room that comes with its own bath room. i m staying at this hotel from now on, when ever i m in san fran! what more can you ask for??

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Attended a conference, blew my budget on the registration fees and printing costs for my poster; I was traveling alone and did not need anything besides a bed, private bathroom, clean sheets and towels, and wifi. As long as you keep your expectations to nothing beyond the absolute basics, this will meet your needs. This is an old establishment, with flooring that creaks with each and every step, an very old elevator shaft, physical keys, a staff that offers no unnecessary courtesy, and near-springless mattresses that are so loud they'll make you reconsider any sort of physical activity on them. The pros: clean, made bed, no bedbugs; ok bathroom with relatively clean towels; clean sheets; wifi on second floor commons area; 10 yards from the gate to Chinatown; a couple blocks away from Union Square; couple blocks away from Montgomery BART station; pretty safe area. If i were to come back with friends or family, I would most likely not choose this place (only because splitting something like Hilton between friends would be a similar price), but for a single traveler with no need to tend to the high-maintenance needs of others, this did the job. It won't add to your SF experience, nor will it detract from it. If anything, its location makes it a great deal.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2012

On the cusp of Chinatown. Handy to have the basic breakfast in the morning and wireless in the common room but very basic and owners were a fairly ratty bunch. Average location but fairly close to most of SF's amenities.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've previously reviewed the Astoria Hotel and have nothing particular to add from my recent trip other than to say they offer the same basic, safe, stupendously well-located hotel as they always have and at a mind-blowing price that hasn't changed in years.

If you're looking at $300/night hotels then the Astoria isn't for you but if you want to pay $65/night and be better located than almost anywhere then do it. Do it now.

Room Tip: Personally we always ask for a room over-looking the street as we like seeing (and hearing) the hust...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Great location right next door to the entrance of San Francisco's Chinatown. The place is a bit dingy and slightly run down, but overall it's very clean and no-frills. The rooms are small and the bed is stiff, but overall very clean. Very basic, budget hotel. This is the place for you if you're just looking for a place to sleep at night and don't want to spend a lot of money...because that's all you'll get. A roof, a toilet, a shower, and a bed. Good if that's what you're looking for.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Good price, great location. The Astoria was better than some of of the reviews. The staff was great, large room for wifi (second floor). Room 402 was like a room in downtown London, very small. The bathroom was also very small but this was okay for a single traveler. Small breakfast that came with the room price (65) a night. The breakfast room, on second floor, opened at 8 am on weekdays, making it difficult to use on departure day. Very small tv with a remote that did not turn on the tv. Few channels but reception was good.
I had previously stayed at the Baldwin Hotel, which is a half block away. Last year I came in the spring and the cost was $69 a night. The Baldwin is a better place to stay but in August the best price I could get was $135 a night. Therefore, the Astoria was a much better deal. Both hotels are old but the Baldwin was better maintained. Both were located close to Bart for transportation and at the entrance to Chinatown. I felt that this was a safe location (for both).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo