“Great budget minded hotel in a safe neighborhood”
Review of SF Plaza Hotel

SF Plaza Hotel
Ranked #201 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed November 2, 2007

After researching the various web sites I found the best price for this hotel on their own web site, ---. $47 week night and $50 saturday night for a room with a community bath. I never saw anyone else use the community bath.

The price was very good, maybe $7 a night more than other hotels in areas considered unsafe (tenderloin) so this was a real bargain. The hotel itself was right at the chinatown gate so in a very safe area even at night. never felt threatened walking the late hours of the night.

Towels were okay, seemed kind of new. Temperature was never a problem, actually the place was a little nippy (50's) so I had to turn on the heater. I was away from the street so didn't hear that much traffic, except for the once and a while loud mufflers. staff were courteous, younger (not elderly). seems that the hotel catered to chinese people as there were many chinese guests. my room had 2 beds so I used the other to put my suitcases on (I was a single but they didn't have a king bed available). no noises from the bed springs and upon checking no roaches or bedbugs (I always check just in case).

As others have said, elevators were old and could only fit 3 people and was a little jerky. stair cases on one side were very slim so hard to go down and up. the other staircase was fine.

just remember that you get what you paid for, a budget hotel in a safe area and you won't go wrong. as others have said, you can pay a little/lot more for a better hotel but if you are on a budget then this fits the bill.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank hawaiitravellerinsf
There are newer reviews for SF Plaza Hotel

Reviewed October 22, 2007

Hotel is a tourist class basic accomodation on the doorstep of Chinatown. Nothing fancy but bed was comfortable and breakfast was bagels or muffins with good coffee. Smallish rooms but online price was $69 for a Friday nite so well worth it. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2007

I stayed here for six nights in September and agree with the previous postings. Not the best hotel but it was clean, the location is great and the rates very good. Also included breakfast.

I paid about US$67 per night and booked on their website.

I would certainly stay here again if I was on a budget and needed somewhere central to stay.
andrew

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed October 16, 2007

I agree with the previous reviews on this place. . . . its nothing special, but hey its about $70 a night!

To me, it was a place to stay for opne night that was clean and the location right at the entrance to chinatown is great. Slap bang in the middle of the action, and only a couple of blocks from Union Square. You also get pastries, muffins & coffee in the breakfast room which is included in the price.

My Girlfriend wasn't too happy with it but she's a clean freak with high standards!

Some of the people working on the front desk weren't too helpful ether, but we were only there for a night so it wasn't really an issue.

All in all, great location, good value for money. .. . but for me its only a place I would stay for one or two nights for a bed and a shower.

Sure if you don't mind where you stay you could stay for longer if you on on a real budget, it would suffice.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Steve_Guttenberg
Reviewed October 8, 2007

We stayed there one night. It's no palace but it's clean and cheap and it's in a great location near everything and literally down the block from the Chinatown gateway. Perfect if you're stopping over for 1 night or in town and really just need a place to rest your head and take a shower. As long as you manage your expectations for what you are going to get at this price this place is a great bargain.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank newyorker567
Reviewed October 2, 2007

This hotel has the feel of a college dorm rather than a hotel, but the rooms were cheap and clean, felt reasonably safe, and the location is perfect. It is close to everything. We had a room facing the street and there was a lot of city noise, so bring ear plugs if you're sensitive to that. I would definitely recommend this hotel if all you're planning to do is sleep and shower there. That was all we used it for and it was absolutely ideal.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2007

My wife and I and some friends from England, were just staying here a few nights. We were looking for something inexpensive, close to China Town, but within the hussle and bussle of the city. We all thought the staff were very friendly and accommodating to our needs. The rooms were very clean and being from the hotel/resort industry, housekeeping is a major concern to me. It was excellent. The decor and furniture was old, but clean. " Don't confuse the two of them".
The beds were very very noisy, everytime you turned over the whole bed squeeked, we ended up just laughing so much it became amusing. I aksed the front desk if we could move on the second night and he did everything he could, unfortunately they were booked, "but he tried".
As we walked the streets at night in search of restaurants and bars we felt very safe and not intimidated by any means.
The restaurants seemed to close early for food, which we found to be a problem and not many bars to enjoy a drink late at night. There were a few wine bars and they were expensive, I just needed a bar. There is a local Irish bar just around the corner from the hotel with a great atmosphere, check it out..
I would have no problems staying there again if I ever returned to SF
Tip: Make sure you do Alcatraz, I did not have any interest of doing the trip before I left home, but once persuaded and got to the island, i was amazed. Get the audio tour that you complete by yourself,, trust me you will enjoy every second being there.
G