The Good Hotel
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$418
$323
  • Room Service
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
$345
$222
$220
$208
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
$310
$239
$219
  • Restaurant
Fairmont San Francisco(San Francisco)
$419
$215
$210
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsphoto boothbudget hotelmain buildingbart stationfew blocksdowntown sftrolley
Reviewed December 14, 2010

There are two things that can be said for this hotel - cheap and clean. That's it. The desk staff was smug and indifferent. The rooms were sparse and uncomfortable.. I think the Good Hotel claims to be green - which it is - but really uses greeness as way to skimp. I personally like a certain air of quaintness of personality in a hotel - this had zero, less than zero. The bathroom was so small and inconvenient that my things kept falling in the sink and on the floor because of a lack of space. This place is not user friendly at all. It does not feel comfortable or welcoming. It has no atmosphere. It is purely utilitarian. I mean, does being green mean being lifeless? For the Good Hotel it does. Also, the room temperatures are controlled by the hotel and it was way too hot for me at night - so much for greenness.

Also, it's in a horrible location. The neighborhood is down right dangerous and it's not close to anything. You do not want to go out after night. It's a few blocks down from Hastings law school and two blocks down from Market Street and anywhere from several blocks to a mile or more from the best tourist attractions. Be ready to spend loads on cab fare.

Like the last poster, I had read review complimentary of the staff but the desk staff was detached and indifferent and did not even acknowledge my presence when I moved through. One guy never looked up from his reading material when I walked past or waited for the elevator (which is a few feet from the desk). I think he was just way too cool to be friendly.

This hotel will not enhance your trip, it feels detached and isolated and the staff is unfriendly. But it was very clean and the housekeeping staff was very pleasant. It's also removed from the fun and exciting parts of San Francisco and it's surrounded by homeless and vagrants. I saw a women harassed walking down the street. There were many deranged homeless people shouting at pedestrians and no one in particular and I saw other confrontations between homeless people. It's become a real problem in nearly every part of town but in the area of this hotel it's particularly bad.

If you just need a good cheap place to stay, I recommend this place. Those are the only circumstances I would recommend this hotel. It's lifeless, unfriendly, minimalist, the staff is detached and the neighborhood is removed. and dangerous

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank kimbo77
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I thought I'd try something different for a quick, last-minute trip to SF where I was supposed to go to the new Federal Building. I booked a flight & hotel package and picked the Good Hotel over the chains I normally stay in for a few reasons. #1- The Good Hotel is almost across the street from the Federal Building I was to be at, at 7am. #2- It had pretty decent reviews. Seemed like a fun sort of place and something different. #3- I've stayed at smaller boutique hotels at various places in the world and have always been pleasantly surprised and grateful for the experience which has always been worth the loss of additional Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, or Hyatt points. Boy was I wrong!!

Upon entering the building everything was as expected- except the front desk guy wasn't at all friendly or engaging. I noticed that previous posters had noted the helpfulness of the desk staff. I didn't notice such. I was asked for a credit card for incidentals - $75. I didn't really want to or see the necessity seeing as though my reservation was prepaid & what incidentals could I possibly have? But it was late & I needed to prepare for the next day. So I handed over my card & went upstairs. (or tried to...it took 4 pushes for the elevator door to close!) I went down a lng brightly colored hallway with a noticeably dirty uneven carpet that was not rolling luggage friendly. The windows on both ends of the hall were open. I hoped for better things once inside my chambers.

I was given a corner room with 2 twin beds. Not my first choice. While I was expecting IKEA-esque sparse furnishings made of reclaimed materials I did not expect the ickiness level to be as high as it was. They have these grey, scratchy blankets on the bed that remind me of homelessness or furniture pads for moving. The shutters were dirty and I didn't like touching the center bit to close them. The bathroom was somewhat generous but had a rolled plastic floor that was also uneven and a bit bubbly and somewhat dirty. There were 3 brown-grey fingerprints on the white safe. I tried to make the best of it and then decided to call and ask if there were any single bed rooms available. I was told to come down an exchange the key which I did after a combined total of 7 elevator door close attempts r/t. The new room was an interior room. Barely had a window, was the size of my closet, didn't have a table or chairs, and the bathroom was so small I had to turn sideways. I immediately ran downstairs (forget the elevator!) and asked for the original room. I tried to ask very sweetly and apologized to the front desk guy for my indecisiveness. He was unmoved.

The next day after I returned to the hotel from a particularly grueling exam (which got relocated to another federal building at the very last minute just to add insult to injury) I gave serious thought to moving to another hotel. The twin beds were hard and the homeless grey blankets really gave me the creeps after wading thru the sea of actual homelessness outside the hotel. (Which BTW - don't worry about them at night. Most are asleep and its relatively peaceful. In the day they're active and it's like nothing I've ever seen before! -and yes I'm from a big city. The inner city of Detroit as a matter of fact. I've also lived in Chicago, LA, DC, Cairo, and Delhi!! But it's like Bedlam out side of this hotel and in the surrounding area during the day. I saw people auctioning canned goods! but I digress) I decided not to waste $ since this hotel was paid for and I was leaving early the next day. Later that night I discovered that my card had been charged no less than 5 times!!! I gave my debit card and had a combined total of $225 pending from the Good Hotel!! When I called to find out why I was told some nonsense about it being declined initially and authorizations for lesser amounts. I had 2 $75 pending amounts, as well as $60, $10, and $5. They were not declined and the money was sitting as pending charges to my checking account. The front desk couldn't explain it, said they had been declined. First of all if they were declined how was the $ being held? Secondly there was plenty in my account - enough to hold $225! Third the charges were all from my second day, not the night I checked in. Fourth - since when is a card declined and the front desk hands over a key? Wouldn't he mention it? Fifth and most importantly, the manager I spoke with never even apologized! Unbelievable!

I don't recommend this hotel to anyone! Stay away! You'll be glad you did!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Intelligentsia
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Was a bit nervous about staying here after being tipped off that there was a review in the bed bug registry, but was reassured by mgt that not a problem and could get $$ back. In fact, room was incredibly clean (took all sheets off bed and mattress looked brand new), though simple. NO bedbugs whatsoever BTW. A bit of noise outside, and I don't recall having control of heat. Location so-so (SoMa, so you will see a bit of SF's colorful side in the PM if you decide to walk up to Market/BART) but convenient. Price OK--$170/PM (as good as could find), booked on oyster.com. A cafe in the lobby but closes in b/w meal time. Commitment to 'Green' standards, which was cool. Would say here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2010

I got a very good deal for this hotel and having stayed in other ones in San Francisco, I'd say you get better service than others. Other hotels for the same price offer a shared bathroom, at Good hotel everyroom has its own one. Also it's located just one block from the subway, so it's very easy to commute to the airport or anywhere in SF. You can book tours at the front desk and the employees are really friendly.

On the down side, there are some homless on the street, one block from the hotel... but I think it's the same everywhere in dt San Francisco. Also you access some of the rooms from the parking lot and it's open to anyone, but the front desk can see who is entering the parking lot. In general SF is as safe city so I don't think that's a problem.

Furniture is modern and confortable and fairly clean

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2010

The hotel is located on the edge of a seedy area with prostitutes and homeless people. The hotel was clean, the staff very nice, they have bikes you can rent (at your own risk). It was fun, but maybe not the safest endeavor. They coordinated shuttles to and from the airport which was nice when traveling alone because a cab is close to $35-40. Overall, it was an average hotel for the price. We stayed here because comparable quality hotels in better areas were all booked up before we began looking for hotels.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends