“Ideal for budget travellers”
Review of The Good Hotel

The Good Hotel
Ranked #189 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Ideal for budget travellers”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in June this year. Upon arrival the staff were friendly and helpful, did not take long to check us in and explained clearly how to find our room. The room was a good size, although minimalist it was clean and tidy, the bed was comfortable and we had no issues with noise during the night. The hotel is situated in an area with a large homeless presence, however they did not bother us. As a couple starting our travels across the USA here we were happy with the hotel and its location as it is situated close to transport links and a short walk away from union square and transport links.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Haiyi, Assistant Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear Jennifer M,

First we would like to thank you for staying at the Good Hotel while starting your USA adventure in San Francisco. We are happy that your arrival was greeted by our friendly and helpful staff. We are also pleased that you found our rooms to your liking with a comfortable bed. Thank you for sharing your comments about the Good Hotel with Trip Advisor; we can’t wait to have to you back the next time you embark on a San Francisco adventure.

Kindest Regards,

Good Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Check-in slow and inefficient with staff constantly having to help each other out at no one seemed to have full knowledge of what/how to do things. Room was clean and tidy and the bed comfortable, however with the energy efficient motion sensors you had to keep moving in order to activate the ceiling fan, rather annoying when you were trying to sleep. Unable to open windows, one was on a restrictor in the bathroom/robe area, with the one in the bedroom being screwed closed completely.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the courtyard for quiter roomn
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jnballard
Dear jnballard,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Good Hotel. We are pleased to know that you found our rooms clean and tidy with comfortable a bed. It is unfortunate to hear that your check in experience was not up to your satisfaction. We will be using your comments to help insure that all of future guests’ check in experience is friendly and efficient. We thank you again for sharing your thoughts with the Trip Advisor community, we welcome the next opportunity to have you stay with us the next time your travels bring you to San Francisco.

Kindest Regards,

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

For our Party of 4 pensioners,it was our first visit to S/F and we did not really know what to expect at the "Good Hotel" We didn't need to worry, the staff were terrific, the Hotel is more than adequate. We had no issues at all, especially as our bookings were for double rooms, which in the case of "the Good Hotel" are smallish with a three quarter bed. We had expected twin double beds as in other establishments. Even though the Hotel was very busy, the front desk staff worked miracles and found us two twin rooms close to one another. We found the location brilliant, in SOMA with lots of character, an easy walk to the Cable Car Terminus and the shopping. Yes we met homeless people, who were mostly fun to talk to, and wholly unthreateneing, the language may be colourful, but they add to the fun of the city. Our rooms were perfectly serviced by the staff, and having a safe was a big advantage. Hey, if you want sanitized characterless luxury, don't stay here, if you would like an opportunity to enjoy S/F as it really is, this is a great Hotel.

Room Tip: Be freindly to the Front Desk, you'll get it back twice over.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Haiyi, Assistant Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Wrinkleytraveller,

Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Good Hotel with our friends in the Trip Advisor community. We are thrilled to know that our staff was able so accommodating to you needs. We always try to fulfill all of our guest’s requests. It is always a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your travels in San Francisco; we are happy to be a part of the adventure. We welcome the next opportunity to be your hotel of choice the next time you make to the City.

Kind Regards,

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Poor hotel. Room was poor quality and smelly. The windows were open when we arrived at the room. We closed the windows and went out for a few hours. When we got back to the room we realised that the windows were opened to let in fresh air. Just a generally poor hotel. Poor location - too far from the tourist area of San Francisco and in an area that felt very unsafe.

We had money taken from our credit card without our authority on checking in. The room was prepaid and so we had no money to pay. We were told on checking in that they needed to take a pending transaction of over £200 - we were told that the money would not actually be taken from our account and that the pending transaction would be cancelled when we checked out. Realised a few days after checking out that the money had been taken. We called them and were assured that the money had been refunded to the credit card and that it would take a few days. It is now over 2 weeks since I checked out and despite chasing it by email numerous times directly with the hotel and the trip organiser (Intrepid) I have not had the money back. I have not had a response from the hotel and I have not had any constructive response from Intrepid (just told that it is being looked into). We stayed in a number of other hotels on our trip and we had no problem with the pending transaction (I.e. money/deposit held as pending until checkout and then transaction cancelled).

We did not choose the hotel. We were on a 7 day California tour and the hotel was chosen for us as part of the trip. We read some negative reviews before going and can confirm that the majority of the negative comments are true. Very disappointing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Matthew P
Dear Matthew P,

Thank you for taking the time to share with the Trip Advisor community. We are disappointed that your impressions of the hotel were less than favorable; we strive to always have clean, quality rooms and we have addressed these concerns with our management team. We apologize for any inconveniences that were caused, we are to please to say that were able to correct your billing discrepancy, if you have you have any further question please do not hesitate to respond back directly to the email that was sent to you. We would love the opportunity to put our best foot forward, if you would allow us a second chance to leave a better impression on your travels when you next visit San Francisco.

Kind Regards,

Porto Alegre, RS
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The hotel was average and smelled a bit different, I might say (I still don't know if it was good or bad, so lets call it unique). The coffee they offer every morning is VERY good and strong. The staff seemed rather nice. We used the shuttle service to go the airport and it work well (much better than the cab we took from the airport to the hotel that charged a 20 dollars tip).The hotel is close to the subway (civic center) so you can go anywhere without a cab. Altough, around the hotel there are many homeless people, so at night doesn't seem like a good idea to be walking down those streets.Our door wasn't locking, but we didn't take the time to complain about it. Everytime I took a shower the bathroom got soaked. The cleaning was not 100% perfect and the mattress was not very soft. Considering how much I paid for it (less than a 100 bucks) and how much is the average price of SF hotels, it was pretty nice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JulianaVT
Dear JulianaVT,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of the Good Hotel with the Trip Advisor community. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our morning coffee and found our staff accommodating. We appreciate you sharing your concerns in regards to our housekeeping and maintenance departments, and will be able to address those issues with our staff. We thank you again for sharing and would love to see you again the next time you travel to San Francisco.

Best regards,

Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Given the recent charges of "false advertising" launched at the Good, I feel the need to step in to provide a little balance. First, I don't see the word "luxury" anywhere on its Web site, unless they somehow revamped the whole thing in the ten days since the review commenting on it was written. The Good Hotel is an eco-friendly hotel, with furnishings made in many cases from repurposed wood and other materials, and that's precisely what they deliver. Like nearly all of the dozens of other boutique hotels in San Francisco -- including ones that cost literally twice as much per night -- the building that houses it is a "glorified older hotel" (dating at least to the '40s for the main buildings, and probably the '60s for the "motor court") that has been substantially revamped. It reminds me to a fair extent of the Ace Hotels in Seattle and Portland, both of which have been garnering raves for years now (and have since expanded to NYC, Palm Springs and soon L.A.).

I've stayed at the Good Hotel twice, once in the tower and once in the courtyard, and experienced nary a problem either time. I didn't have a vehicle, so I wasn't hit with a $40 parking charge (which btw you can avoid by simply parking on the street and being sure you're not in a spot that's closed to parking during morning rush hour), and I appreciate that they both let hybrid drivers park for free and offer two Zipcars -- vehicles you can rent by the hour for short excursions -- right in the parking lot. (Incidentally, $40/night is a fairly standard charge for centrally located SF hotels. I have no idea where one reviewer saw free parking, but it's not the norm here just like it's not the norm in other densely populated cities like New York.) I also appreciate that the hotel is a mere two blocks from the Civic Center BART station, making my trip from SFO a rapid one (and vastly cheaper than travel via taxi or rental car).

I also have nothing but raves for the hotel's customer service. They went above and beyond the call of duty recently when I needed to print out some resumes for a job fair, and my printer at home had conked out right before I left for SF, and even aside from that, they try to go out of their way to be patient, understanding and altogether nice. Also, as many have noted, they offer free wi-fi, and unfortunately it is indeed a bit spotty at times. I suspect they probably simply need more bandwidth, given how much more of it people consume today vs. when the system was originally installed, e.g. streaming Netfilx movies and the like.

Minor niggles: there's a lovely, recent iMac in the lobby, one attached to a laser printer, but it charges something absolutely insane like $6 for 15-minute access and 79 cents a page for printouts (though you can apparently print airline seat passes on it gratis). Like I said, one of the front desk staff let me print from their own printer, but I seem to recall from my previous visit three years ago that they had multiple iMacs on hand for guest use. IMO they should return to this offering; exorbitant Internet access frankly makes little sense when wi-fi is free and probably a majority of guests have smartphones at the very least, as well as laptops and/or tablets.

Also, yes: the Good Hotel is in an "emerging" part of SF. On the bright side, you can walk two blocks south on 3rd St. and visit Sightglass coffee, one of *the* best coffee venues in the city. It had *barely* opened when I last visited, and only had walk-up service at the time, but now they have a full-size coffee-roasting and manufacturing operation in a *huge* building (a former garage, if I'm not mistaken). On the down side, you'll probably run into a homeless person or five, particularly at night, but that's likely to happen in most of the neighborhoods immediately north and south of Market (plus immediately north of the hotel, above Market at least, is the Tenderloin, infamously one of SF's seediest 'hoods). Finally, there is most definitely a lot of car noise if you have a street facing room. My request for a motor-lodge area room, probably the quietest place in the hotel, was immediately met, however.

As for the "false advertising" about the "family suite": the description says it consists of two rooms with two beds. *Assuming* that a "suite" must somehow be nicer or offer couches and whatnot is, simply, fallacious. In any event, it's *always* good to call in advance and check on accommodations if you have certain demands (e.g. two beds in each room, in a city where most rooms have only one).

The Good Hotel, finally, is a great choice for bargain hunters. During a week where even one-star properties near Union Square were charing well over $200/night (and boutique hotels were, with few exceptions, over $300/night), I obtained my room for $130/night via a Priceline Express deal. (IIRC I paid substantially less, something like 50% less, on my last visit, but that was in January, not at the peak of travel season like my most recent trip). There was literally NO better deal in SF! (and I know its hotels pretty well).

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room, or at least a tower room facing away from Mission and 3rd St., if you'...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Jeff K
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Kirker,

Thank you for providing a detailed and honest account of your stay at the Good hotel. We are glad that our hotel meets your expectations and that you appreciated the level of service our staff willingly provides on a daily basis. We are dedicated to the philosophies Renew, Reuse and Relax.

Living in the digital age we understand the frustration you must have experienced with our wifi especially since the internet has become such an integrated part of our lives and we offer our apologies. We have received the feedback from our guests regarding the internet and are working with our internet company to provide an updated and more stable network. We are also in the process of updating our lobby in the future.

We have take into account your suggestions as your feedback has been invaluable and will assist us in providing you and our future guests a better experience in the future. We hope to warmly welcome you back for a future stay. Thank you again for your time and response.

Kind regards,

Don Ignacio
Front Office Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I fully agree with a recent review that this hotel falsely advertises itself through its website. The site is very well done and portrays a spacious, modern and hip hotel (kudos to the marketing team!). Their tagline is "the best in green luxury." But, there is nothing luxurious about this hotel.

When my airport shuttle dropped me off in front of the hotel I thought, "this can't possibly be it!" Sadly, I was in the right place. I reserved the two bedroom "FAMILY SUITE" for a weekend music festival. I wasn't sure how many friends would be staying with me (one or two) but assumed this particular room (their largest) would have plenty of space for us. Well, this in NO WAY is a Suite. It is two adjoining rooms that share a bathroom. There is no couch, sitting area, fridge, etc. You get two beds, two chairs and two sinks. And what really got me, was that the Family Suite has a maximum of two people before you start paying an extra $25 per night for additional people. Ummm, isn't that "double occupancy"? How can you justify calling it a FAMILY Suite if your prices are limited to double occupancy. The staff at the front desk told me that I hadn't indicated at the time of booking how many people there would be, which is why the extra charges weren't factored in. But, as a test, I just did a sample online booking and the system default is to reserve the room for ONE person; there isn't an option to select how many people will be staying in your room. It also does not state anywhere on the description that the rate is for no more than two people. So the fact that the front desk clerk used this as a justification is more than frustrating. Your website is deceptive. On top of that, the beds in the Family Suite are only doubles...so you need to order a rollaway for the third person which will also cost you extra $$ per night. Additional frustrations: hotel bathroom was under construction so I had to bring my things across the street to another hotel's bathroom to freshen up after my long morning/afternoon of travel, room wasn't ready on time for 3:00PM check in, poor customer service at front desk, no air conditioning in room, no toiletries in room, tour books at front desk were 6 years old. This is not a funky boutique hotel as the website portrays. It is a NO FRILLS hotel, very much like a hostel. You are better off booking the Best Western or another budget hotel that actually has the basic amenities and services of a hotel. We actually only stayed one night of our four night reservation and took our business elsewhere. The only positive experience was that it was easy for us to cancel the remainder of our reservation. Oh and good coffee in the lobby in the morning.

Room Tip: Don't book the Family Suite if there are more than 2 people in your party.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LaureleeLangan
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear LaureleeLangan,

Thank you for taking the time and providing your opinions on our hotel and website. We sincerely apologize for the situations that you encountered and that your room fell short of your expectations. As a smaller property we attempt to provide our guests additional amenities unfortunately due to our size we are unable to provide certain amenities. So that we are able to better serve our future guests we are in the process of updating our hotel.

We understand how frustrating it can be to navigate websites at times. We have recently upgraded our website so that it is now more user friendly. We have reviewed our older version or our website which also required and provided the option to select the number of people. This is an important field to complete when booking a reservation as it can affect the rate of the room. Our staff is available to assist you in booking your reservation online or we can just book it for you.

We thank you again for your response.

Kind regards,