“Nice hotel but in a “downright dangerous” area” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Good Hotel
Ranked #184 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel but in a “downright dangerous” area”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel twice in July 2012 and really liked the hotel itself. Both rooms (twin rooms) we had were very comfortable although the second one was really great as it was twice the size of the first one. The hotel is quite cool, with a relaxed vibe and nice eco-friendly décor.

Helpfully, it was possible to arrange for a very early-morning (around 6am) airport pick-up from the front door of the hotel.

Unfortunately, the hotel is located on 7th street and getting to everything that visitors would want to see involves crossing over 6th street. I realized too late that our guidebook referred to 6th street as “downright dangerous” but decided it couldn’t be that bad, and headed out to explore on foot on the day of our arrival. When we walked back to the hotel from Union Sq that evening (at 9pm, so not late) we witnessed a girl being beaten up in the 6th street area. This was an extremely unsettling experience, really gave us a bad impression of San Francisco and meant we only went through this area by car from then on. Although I really liked this hotel, please be aware that it is not located in a safe area and I do not recommend you walk between the hotel and Union Square. This view has been backed up since our visit by a family friend who lives in San Francisco as well as various guidebooks (and other reviews on here, I see).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Megan M,

We are delighted that your stay with us met your expectations. Many of our rooms come in various configurations we apologize that the room you had stayed in did not meet your expectations.

The Soma neighborhood like most of San Francisco is in a large urban metropolis filled with many characters which provides the city its own unique vibe. I certainly hope the incident you encountered does not tarnish San Francisco or our Soma area’s image in your opinion as this unfortunate incident is not common around the hotel area. Thank you for providing us your opinion about our Soma neighborhood as a community we are working towards building a safe and welcoming neighborhood.

We are glad that overall you found your stay satisfying. If you are ever in San Francisco again all I ask in return is that when your future travels bring you to San Francisco we hope to warmly welcome you back. We hope that you will be able to provide San Francisco and our SOMA neighborhood a second chance. Thank you again for your time and response.

Good Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
west sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is a cheap(ish) hotel in an expensive city and as such, it does fine. Its claim to be a 'boutique hotel' is a little far-fetched but it's really well located just down from Union Square, it’s clean and you can park – free if you’ve hired a hybrid. Everything worked and if it doesn’t, it gets fixed, there’s free coffee and tea by reception at breakfast time where you can plan your day. Nowhere much to sit in your room, no tea and coffee there. But I’d stay again (if I couldn’t get into the Mosser).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jubilad0
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hello Jubilad0,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are content that your stay with us met your expectations. Many of our rooms come in various configurations we apologize that the room you had stayed in did not meet your expectations. Do to our many different room configurations if you do require an extra chair if one is available we will gladly send one to your room.

Hopefully you do return and so that we are able to provide you a second opportunity to warmly welcome you. On your next stay we aim to exceed your expectations. Thank you again for your time and response.

Kind Regards,

Mandaluyong, Rizal, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I had an opportunity to stay at The Willow for more than a week and I really had a great time. The room we stayed in had a bright, decent, sized four-post bed with balcony, and it was such a heaven waking up every morning looking at the clouds and some trees. The place was clean and the food was just awesomely delicious (i miss Loklak and Fish Amok the most!). The place has a homelike bohemian appeal for people like me who would like to read books and would prefer total relaxation in a vacation. I like that they make an effort to hold a social gathering every Wednesday (Trivia Night), where expats and locals would come and party at the garden, and BBQ night every Thursday. They also have a very accommodating staff, one of them even helped me out book my flight from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap :) I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Room 211! :)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlonaManaay
Costa Mesa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

While visiting SF we needed to book a room at the last minute just for one night and ended up at the Good Hotel. The room was clean and neat and we loved the little fold up desk mounted on the wall. Internet was free, and worked just fine, asked for additional pillows and they were provided, shower was good, good water pressure and hot. The only thing that disappointed was that we left a battery charger in the room and called about 2 hours after checking out and left a message, then stopped by the hotel later that day.....checked with the front desk and they didn't have it but I never recieved a return call, they said someone else was already in the room and so i could not go in and look for it. I never did get the charger back, and never heard from the hotel...so, I guess the next guests got it, or...??? Who knows.....it would have been nice to get a call back if they found it or not.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Debra C,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at the Good hotel.

On behalf of our entire staff, we truly apologize for the situation you encountered with your battery charger. I truly regret that we didn’t handle things better and have followed up with our team to ensure such a situation does not recur. We are glad we were able to contact you regarding the item.

We appreciate your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to address these issues with the appropriate people and departments in our Hotel.

When your future travels bring you to San Francisco, please allow us a second chance to put our best foot forward. Thank you again for your feedback and allowing us the chance to make things right if I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 415-626-0200.

Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Good Hotel promises to be a modern, trending hotel near the center of san francisco but doesn't live up to this promise. The hotel is a bit outdated, the rooms are ver small and staff isn't very friendly.
We got a large telephone bill for a 1 minute phone call and we were advised to use the parking for the car as you have to pay everywhere in SF. The street next to the hotel is free during the night so if you only need to park 1 night, don't let them fool you!
The bikes that are offeredby the hotel are old and make a lot of noise. They are fine for a short trip, but not for a day bike ride.
Neighbourhood is dodgy. No fun to wqlk arond at night...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank superinnie
Dear Superinnie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Tripadvisor. We sincerely apologize that the quality of your room fell short of your standards. The service you experienced is not representative of the standards we are accustomed to providing as we are always aiming to uphold the standard of superior service. We have recently updated our bikes and we do apologize that the complimentary bike that you had been provided did not live up to your expectations.

It is unfortunate that you felt the telephone and parking rate was unsuitable. Our telephone rates are dictated by operated assisted day rates, applicable surcharges and taxes while our parking rate is very competitive for San Francisco as it is one of the lowest in the city. The San Francisco Parking Control Officers are very efficient so we do offer caution to those that choose to park on the street.

Our neighborhood of "SoMA" (South of Market) is an eclectic and diverse area which contributes to the overall makeup of the city of San Francisco. Although not necessarily the most luxurious part of town, SoMA is home to many great local restaurants and bars. Our well informed staff willingly provides our guests this type of information. We are sorry to hear that you had a less than favorable impression of our neighborhood and offer our apologies.

Hopefully you will return and provide us a second opportunity to explore our ever changing neighborhood. Perhaps your future stay in San Francisco's south of market district will be more to your liking. Thank you again for your time and response.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Desert Hot Springs, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

My room at the Good Hotel was fine. Just like in the photos. Very clean and neat. Everything in great shape. Security felt okay. Wi-fi was good.

When I checked in, the one staff person at the front desk seemed overly distracted and busy, even though I was the only person he was waiting on. I do wonder why at most hotels, if I've made advance registrations via the internet, the desk will only need to see my ID, credit card and signature; while other hotels (like Good Hotel) make me fill out all the same information by hand on a piece of paper.

Once I had my room key, I went to the room and discovered that housekeeping was still working to make it ready. I had all my bags with me, so I just sat down on the floor outside the room. The housekeeper saw me, but it didn't occur to her that I was waiting for her. About half an hour later she was done and I went into the room. The housekeeper expressed surprise that this was my room, but there was no apology.

Car parking is an extra charge: $25/night for compacts, $35 for larger cars. The lot has very few spaces and the spaces are very small. There isn't even room to turn around, so you will probably have to back out onto 7th Street, which may be challenging. There are parking garages very close by with better facilities and a lower charge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Rbgilbert,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us we are glad that you found the room clean and that you felt safe during your stay.

On behalf of our entire staff, you have my apologies that our service did not meet your expectations. We understand the frustration you felt with the situations you encountered and have contacted each department to address the comments you have provided. Rest assured that your encounters do not represent the standards we uphold.

Although some of the parking prices you listed are incorrect our pricing is comparable to similar properties in the area and we feel we provide good value given our central location and extensive facilities. We regret that this was not your impression and offer our apologies.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed here for Google I/O that was happening at the Moscone center. It's about 7 mins walk away, so was close-enough to pop back at points during the day. The room was a reasonable sized, neatly decorated with a couple of nice touches (like the glow in the dark "good night" message above the bed) (room 114). It's also about 1 minute walk from the Civic Center BART station, which costs $8.25 from the airport.

Some tripadvisor posts note that the area is a "bit dodgy." Yes, there are homeless people around, but certainly no worse than in many European cities (think London, Paris, Brussels). They are mostly harmless and just looking for "a bit of spare change." Just be aware of your surroundings and act appropriately (ie, don't walking down the street flashing your latest macbook pro). I walked back alone from the Tenderloin area crossing Turk and Market street at about 11pm with no bother.

I was staying in the courtyard, right next to the main road. I can see how some people can find this noisy, but a combination of jetlag (coming from London), busy days and earplugs ensured I slept without problems.

The bed was comfy, the shower was hot, there was a keypad safe in the room, and the hotel looked after my bags on the last day.

My only observation was that the WIFI was a little spotty - checking emails - fine, but don't be expecting to watch netflix! The hotel is one of a group of three next to each other, and you can connect any of the 3 wifi networks with the same password. Wasn't really a problem (for me) because I had a US data sim in my mobile, so could just tether my laptop.

I had no real reason to call on the staff other than checking in / out, but they were polite and helpful at those points. No queues, took less than 5 mins.

If you're expecting a modern purpose built hotel with lots of sound insulation, then you'll have to stay somewhere else (and likely pay a lot more), but if you're looking for somewhere clean and warm to stay while you spend time in the city, then this is absolutely fine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ChrisBu_13
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear ChrisBu_13,

Thank you for posting a thorough review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear of your wonderful experience with our hotel and truly appreciate that you provided an honest and warm opinion. Our aim is to provide all of our guests a unique stay and excellent customer service. We are glad that we met your expectations as we strive to achieve this with everyone that we interact with.

The Soma neighborhood like most of San Francisco is filled with eclectic characters which provides the city its own unique vibe. Thank you for providing us your opinion about our SOMA neighborhood. As a community we are working towards building a safe and welcoming neighborhood.

Living in the digital age we understand the frustration you must have experienced with our wifi especially since the internet has become such an integrated part of our lives and we offer our apologies. We have received the feedback from our guests regarding the internet and are working with our internet company to provide a more stable network. Your feedback has been invaluable and will assist us in providing you and our future guests a better experience in the future.

It was our pleasure to be able to provide you a home while in San Francisco. We appreciate the feedback you have provided and hope to warmly welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.